Washington, D.C. Metro

njjdnt

In October 2009, Sprint announced

“the availability of Sprint and Nextel service to customers in the 20 busiest underground stations in the Washington, D.C. Metro system.”

“Sprint expects to offer service in the Metro’s remaining underground stations by the fall of 2010. Service should be available in 50 percent of the Metro system’s tunnels by the fall of 2011, with complete coverage expected to be established in all the tunnels by the fall of 2012.”

With the deployment of Network Vision to the rest of D.C. will they also bring Network Vision to the underground Metro stations that already have Sprint service at the same time? Also, at the same time will they be deploying Network Vision to underground Metro stations and tunnels that don’t have Sprint service yet?

If they do delay Network Vision deployment to the Metro system I would believe it would have to do with the additional planning, permits and coordination with multiple entities, required to work within the Metro System.

Good question, I sure hope they do. I ride the metro to and from work everyday and my signal is constantly switching back and forth from sprint network to roaming (Verizon) bewteen the seven stations that I pass by. I would at least like to see a strong 3g coverage from Sprint by fall 2012.

Good question, I sure hope they do. I ride the metro to and from work everyday and my signal is constantly switching back and forth from sprint network to roaming (Verizon) bewteen the seven stations that I pass by. I would at least like to see a strong 3g coverage from Sprint by fall 2012.

I hadn’t been to D.C. in a while, and then I went back there in September and was disappointed that I had no Sprint signal in some stations. I wasn’t expecting signal in the tunnels between stations. It’s frustrating when everyone around you is on Verizon and has no trouble.

I’ll be back in D.C. May and I guess I shouldn’t anticipate any changes then either. I am hoping that there is some improvement when I return in August and November.

If Sprint can improve their coverage and bring LTE to the metro they will have a great advantage. I would assume that it’s very difficult to get the metro to run on a single track so Sprint can add signal to the tunnels. Coordinating the installation when they are running on a single track to do already scheduled track work is probably also very difficult.

Don't hold your breath for better service in the Metro. The last major update I've seen was a story in the Washington Post about half a year ago saying that the carriers were falling behind schedule and they would need more support from Metro to get the job done on time. If history is any indication, Metro is probably not up to the task. Even if it means missing the deadline required for 1.5 billion dollars of federal funding.

Although, officials have said that the work in 75% complete. The only problem is that service at stations cannot be switched on one by one. They need to switch on almost the entire system at once. For once, I hope to be surprised with Metro's efficiency and management.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/commuting/cellphone-service-undergoes-improvements-in-dc-metro-transit-system/2011/09/23/gIQAZhY7tK_story.html

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/09/metro-falling-short-promised-cell-phone-service-upgrade/118681

• Like 1

Anyone know how the overall deployment of NV is going on in the District? My speeds keep fluctuating from 1.5mbps to 88kbps. I posted on Sprint's forums thinking it is just an issue in the area but they don't have any notes of Tower issues. Frankly, I was hoping that the high speeds were Sprint testing the new towers but it has become rather inconsistent.

It could also be the plethora of new tourists that infiltrate the area around my office (we work across from the White House).

Anyone know how the overall deployment of NV is going on in the District? My speeds keep fluctuating from 1.5mbps to 88kbps. I posted on Sprint's forums thinking it is just an issue in the area but they don't have any notes of Tower issues. Frankly, I was hoping that the high speeds were Sprint testing the new towers but it has become rather inconsistent.

It could also be the plethora of new tourists that infiltrate the area around my office (we work across from the White House).

Perhaps the phone is bouncing between newly upgraded towers and the older towers?

According to the completed NV map (from sponsor forum) there are a fair number of upgraded sites completed. However, they're all on the MD side of D.C. Not seeing anything in D.C. proper or the VA side of the river.

• Like 1

Wish they did that in NYC subway.

Really? I like the fact that I don't get service underground...makes life much more quieter. Can you imagine the hoodrats on the phone on every stop?

Really? I like the fact that I don't get service underground...makes life much more quieter. Can you imagine the hoodrats on the phone on every stop?

I suppose that could get annoying.

I think a would prefer to hear someone's conversation than their loud ass music blasting through the headsets.

Even without being in a subway, I can definitely agree with you on that.

Trust me when I tell you, it would be chaos. Take the 4, 5, 6 train going uptown after 7pm, and imagine it full of people talking on the phone.

No thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how good a conversation you can have on those loud trains. For one I would like to be able to get calls when I am on the train in case there is a change of plans or if there some sort of scare or something that causes my chosen venue to close, something that I have found increasingly common in the past few weeks.

I would just love consistent Data service in the Metro, but I completely agree about yappers especially on the Orange line during peak rush. They always complain about how full the cars are like it is a new phenomenon and all I tell them is to move into the District like me.

Anyways, I wish Sprint was a bit more forthcoming about their NV roll out in DC.

I would have enjoyed good data coverage on my last Metro trip. I was looking at the graffiti along the Red Line until we went underground and after that a little web browsing would have been nice.

As for people talking on their phones; that's a fact of life whether it's the movie theater, restaurant, or even the library. Try riding the Green or Yellow line when school lets out and you'll see that cell phone conversations would be a small intrusion.

I live a bit further away than most and around my way I don't get much service in my house, mainly because of power lines. I got the new Airave but its drops my calls if I walk to far from it or if the phone decides I have a good signal from the tower. I am thinking of just breaking down and getting a repeater in my house. Any ideas? I am not sure if when NV my signal will improve enough to where I won't need it anymore.

Edited by miguell2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Speed tests were done while on the lower platform in the Rosslyn station, Tuesday evening.

Screenshot_2012-08-15-20-45-38.pngScreenshot_2012-08-15-20-43-08.png

Overall I had usable speeds while visiting the Clarendon, Virginia Square and Ballston areas last week.