Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Crazy that they even announced the month it will be live! Only a few weeks away!

That's pretty impressive. Even if it's a limited deployment, I'm sure it's impact on those areas is going to be significant.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Crazy that they even announced the month it will be live! Only a few weeks away!

That's pretty impressive. Even if it's a limited deployment, I'm sure it's impact on those areas is going to be significant.

So they're knocking out the bigger cities first and then moving to the next set of semi larger cities. So I wonder how many cities in tital will have 5G by the first half of 2019? 

Even with this, they aren't giving up on 4G are they? Those panels support both 4G/5G and if they are places in 3G areas, they area now has LTE correct?

So they're knocking out the bigger cities first and then moving to the next set of semi larger cities. So I wonder how many cities in tital will have 5G by the first half of 2019? 
Even with this, they aren't giving up on 4G are they? Those panels support both 4G/5G and if they are places in 3G areas, they area now has LTE correct?
They better not. The remaining 3G footprint needs LTE. Sprint still has the largest areas without LTE.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, derrph said:

As I understand it, this is still 4G. It’s 5G-ready gear, but it speeds up 4G because of the huge capacity boost Massive MIMO brings. When 5G devices are released, Sprint pushes a software update to this gear and it then will run LTE and 5G at the same time... on the same radio! Sprint crew won’t have to go back to the tower to install new cards/antennas.

Combine this with Sprint’s plans to upgrade all of its towers to Triband and its plan to add thousands of new sites, and over a million Magic Boxes, the Sprint network is going to really soar in the next year.

• Like 2

As I understand it, this is still 4G. It’s 5G-ready gear, but it speeds up 4G because of the huge capacity boost Massive MIMO brings. When 5G devices are released, Sprint pushes a software update to this gear and it then will run LTE and 5G at the same time... on the same radio! Sprint crew won’t have to go back to the tower to install new cards/antennas.
Combine this with Sprint’s plans to upgrade all of its towers to Triband and its plan to add thousands of new sites, and over a million Magic Boxes, the Sprint network is going to really soar in the next year.
Any idea about when Sprint will deploy LAA?

8 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Any idea about when Sprint will deploy LAA?

It’s been discussed: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-achieves-120-140-mbps-laa-deployment-spidercloud-says-laa-long-term-roadmap

No definitive date, but it’s on the long term roadmap. Sprint is focused on its licensed spectrum first.

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

This explains the permits Sprint purchased in Houston these past three months.

Bye-bye Clearwire equipment. I can't say you will be missed.

• Like 3

LAA is a tech for crowded places or stadiums. If Tmobile and others try to install that tech everywhere the lawsuits will fly against them. Verizon is not even mentioning  LAA anymore, mostly MMwave spectrum.

• Like 2

LAA is a tech for crowded places or stadiums. If Tmobile and others try to install that tech everywhere the lawsuits will fly against them. Verizon is not even mentioning  LAA anymore, mostly MMwave spectrum.
Yes I know it's for malls and stadiums. Why would there be lawsuits.

4 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Yes I know it's for malls and stadiums. Why would there be lawsuits.

Interference with residential and businesses WIFI services. The LAA stuff uses the 5GHZ WIFI frequency band. Tmobile wants to be pretty using a public service band for a wireless for-profit business. They don't have the spectrum to deploy 5G period. They have to wait for the CBRS 3.5ghz band or the MMwave frequencies auction, but because their arrogance they say 600mhz and LAA can be used for 5G.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

Interference with residential and businesses WIFI services. The LAA stuff uses the 5GHZ WIFI frequency band. Tmobile wants to be pretty using a public service band for a wireless for-profit business. They don't have the spectrum to deploy 5G period. They have to wait for the CBRS 3.5ghz band or the MMwave frequencies auction, but because their arrogance they say 600mhz and LAA can be used for 5G.

It seems like they are the only carrier that is in a urgent state to get spectrum for 5G. Putting pressure on this entity and that entity. Honestly they won't admit to it but just like Sprint wanting that merger with T-Mobile to happen, T-Mobile was banking on that 2.5 spectrum for 5G. 

2 minutes ago, derrph said:

It seems like they are the only carrier that is in a urgent state to get spectrum for 5G. Putting pressure on this entity and that entity. Honestly they won't admit to it but just like Sprint wanting that merger with T-Mobile to happen, T-Mobile was banking on that 2.5 spectrum for 5G. 

Neville Ray has always dismissed Sprint  2.5ghz portfolio, but deep down he knows is a game changer. He always says how can you deploy a nationwide 2.5ghz network, but you can ask the same question how can you rollout a nationwide network on MMwave Spectrum. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JThorson said:

I'm a little surprised they don't have Seattle as one of the first cities with Massive MIMO rollout since they did testing here last year.

That’s a good point!

Edited by RedSpark
Double post!

34 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

Neville Ray has always dismissed Sprint  2.5ghz portfolio, but deep down he knows is a game changer. He always says how can you deploy a nationwide 2.5ghz network, but you can ask the same question how can you rollout a nationwide network on MMwave Spectrum. 

B)

The economics don’t make sense for Millimeter Wave on a nationwide basis. Deep down Neville knows that.

1 hour ago, greenbastard said:
This explains the permits Sprint purchased in Houston these past three months.
Bye-bye Clearwire equipment. I can't say you will be missed.

Those are triband conversions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

With what? A string and 2 tin cans? 

No, with the public WiFi spectrum that you need for your business or home network. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

Those are triband conversions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Interesting.

Either way, there's some movement in Texas, and that's a good thing. T-Mobile went down to Houston and San Antonio a couple of years ago and heavily invested in their network. They added so many macro towers in both city and rural areas and have improved their signal availability. Sprint has been the odd man out. The second B25 carrier helped in San Antonio and Houston, but it's time for them to split cells and add more macro towers to their Network.

• Like 2