Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

So last conference call Sprint CFO was talking about Capital spend. And I gotta, say Listening to his answer of Churn Infuriated me. I'm paraphrasing here. But he was asked about Churn and Network Spend. And he said that if Churn Spikes up he will spend more on capital. I'm sorry but I viewed that answer ass backwards. So hes literally saying we'll see how it goes. I really do hope Sprint has changed. I live in the Chicago Market but spend quite a bit in the Phoenix Market. Chicago service is satisfactory. Service in Phoenix is a different Matter. I wouldn't exclusively use Sprint in Phoenix. Even with the $50 unlimited trial they have going on. I still cant recommend them to my friends in Phoenix, Too many glaring holes. The tower that services my house in Ahwatukee still doesn't have 4G. So, Sprint is very inconsistent and that is what is killing them. And as of this moment they can talk about speed and all that fun stuff. I'd rather have a few megs of reliable service everywhere then islands of blazing speeds strategically located.

What is crazy is in a lot of phoenix sprint works extremely well . But then there is the lack of b26, broken carrier aggregation in Chandler for the last month, 12-24 sites scattered about the valley that still don't have LTE and all of this adds up to a very inconsistent and frankly poor costumer experience. I still can't recommend sprint to my friends and family.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I wish Sprint would double the Sprint Global Roaming 2G rates for those with the Sprint Unlimited Freedom Premium to match the Tmobile One + plan.

They would actually have to quadruple it to match the new T-Mobile's One+  256 kbps international

roaming speeds. Regardless, you should tweet that to Marcelo. Couldn't hurt.

• Like 2

I wish Sprint would double the Sprint Global Roaming 2G rates for those with the Sprint Unlimited Freedom Premium to match the Tmobile One + plan.

At the very least, Sprint should double the Sprint Global Roaming 2G speeds of 64kbps to 128kbps.

I'd like to see it at 256kbps to match T-Mobile One+.

They would actually have to quadruple it to match the new T-Mobile's One+  256 kbps international

Although each program has specific merits/benefits, it does bug me that we have Global Roaming and Open World as two separate programs.

• Like 1

Actually I would love to see Sprint surpass Tmobile by offering 384 kbps or 512 kbps international roaming speeds.  But I would hope at the very least match the 256 kbps international roaming speeds like Tmobile One+ plans.

• Like 1

Actually I would love to see Sprint surpass Tmobile by offering 384 kbps or 512 kbps international roaming speeds. But I would hope at the very least match the 256 kbps international roaming speeds like Tmobile One+ plans.

I doubt that they'd offer unlimited 512 kbps. I could see 384 kbps, that would be quite nice and best the competition.

Although each program has specific merits/benefits, it does bug me that we have Global Roaming and Open World as two separate programs.

Yep, I generally prefer Open World. The data on Global Roaming is usable in a limited capacity. I'd just pay for Open World's higher speed data for more functionality.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Not being a jerk but we have heard that for what seems like years. " Sprint this and Sprint that. Problem is Sprint can't get it done. This is another example of being behind the 8 ball. Sprint has all this spectrum but by he time they get it going the others have already made announcements or upgraded their network and easily downplay what sprint has done. Outside of a few markets sprints lte coverage is best described as "spotty". All of us here know it's a cell density problem. Sprint should have known this as well. Everyone said b41 didn't do well past a certain range..... Sprint should have been submitting small cell permits years ago they knew they needed densification. Which brings us back, How long before Sprint actually finishes a project?

Everyone saw data was going to be the dominate thing in the industry. Every carrier has acquired new spectrum over the last few years. It comes down to getting it deployed- which is where sprint is lagging. Whether it's permits/fiber/ employees getting bribed/birds/weather. There is always an issue or extra issue sprint somehow seems to have in its way.

It's obvious to us sprint is trying however, they just can't seem to move fast enough to make a big enough impact. Sprint got there lte deployed... Everyone else was done. Sprint got their speeds up ..... Everyone else already had faster speeds... Sprint was touting CA as the "here we come" .... Everyone else is using CA.

At first everyone was all about speeds it was the wow factor. Now sprint is getting the speeds but the wow factor with speeds is no more as everyone else already went through that.

Please forgive my little rant it isn't directed at any individual, however sprints mistakes have cost them dearly and will continue to until they actually get things completed..... Early.

My take is Sprint never really finishes projects, they get 10-30% and send out press release- then slowly keep tackling it till nearly done.

And Son / SB seems to be fighting churn with amazing speed results. I suspect if sprint shelved 2x and 3x CA and focused on stable connections with 5-10mbps less would churn and I bet folks would add lines. Now if you frequently only use the phone where b41 is completely done or done well the same happens but less folks.

Where as big red and even ATT to a point just gets ____ done. I remember all the ATT ads a couple years ago saying hey we know we need more towers or equipment and we are doing just that. It seems they did. My work device is on Blue and it use to be a hot mess... Not anymore.

Come Sprint you can do - but you need the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So last conference call Sprint CFO was talking about Capital spend. And I gotta, say Listening to his answer of Churn Infuriated me. I'm paraphrasing here. But he was asked about Churn and Network Spend. And he said that if Churn Spikes up he will spend more on capital. I'm sorry but I viewed that answer ass backwards. So hes literally saying we'll see how it goes. I really do hope Sprint has changed. I live in the Chicago Market but spend quite a bit in the Phoenix Market. Chicago service is satisfactory. Service in Phoenix is a different Matter. I wouldn't exclusively use Sprint in Phoenix. Even with the $50 unlimited trial they have going on. I still cant recommend them to my friends in Phoenix, Too many glaring holes. The tower that services my house in Ahwatukee still doesn't have 4G. So, Sprint is very inconsistent and that is what is killing them. And as of this moment they can talk about speed and all that fun stuff. I'd rather have a few megs of reliable service everywhere then islands of blazing speeds strategically located.

It's not backwards when your in the situation of not having enough capital. EVeryone wants to replace the roof at their house at 20 years too but when you don't have enough money to replace the roof, replace the windows and paint the exterior you prioritize. If the roof leaks, you address it if you have to.

In that situation, why spend money you don't have on infrastructure that isn't causing you to lose customers?

Monday morning qb? We all know about sprints spectrum. It's been years in the conversation. At some point sprint has to get something completed. The spectrum can't be used the way it's meant because they are still upgrading towers and fiber lines. Yes they have changed their management and so forth. Let's be real if son wanted sprint where he claims with urgency he would spend more on getting this stuff done. How is it everyone else seems to be moving faster? It seems like every step ahead sprint takes the others then take 2

"Get something completed" WITH WHAT MONEY? They're basically in financial distress, improving slowly. They can't borrow. They are doing everything they can with the capital they have and the capital they can generate. Son can't throw more money at them without triggering the "you have to buy all of Sprint" clause thing.

They KNOW what they have to do. They aren't stupid. Previous management - yes, I'm convinced some were misguided. This group? I don't buy that at all. They need capital.

• Like 1

My take is Sprint never really finishes projects, they get 10-30% and send out press release- then slowly keep tackling it till nearly done.

And Son / SB seems to be fighting churn with amazing speed results. I suspect if sprint shelved 2x and 3x CA and focused on stable connections with 5-10mbps less would churn and I bet folks would add lines. Now if you frequently only use the phone where b41 is completely done or done well the same happens but less folks.

Where as big red and even ATT to a point just gets ____ done. I remember all the ATT ads a couple years ago saying hey we know we need more towers or equipment and we are doing just that. It seems they did. My work device is on Blue and it use to be a hot mess... Not anymore.

Come Sprint you can do - but you need the money

I agree. Sprint needs to market more through social media, stop the national marketing unless it's an event. Focus marketing on the local level. This would save thousands maybe a few million.

These contracts should be based on incentives - companies get work done sooner they get bonuses they take longer they get fined. Increase the refer a friend and offer prizes like free to pier phones as incentives to customers who refer people. There are all kinds of things sprint could do to save money and still spend on Getting the infrastructure where it needs to be.

Why is sprint trying to get 45 foot small cell when towns are approving 30ft. Small cells now will need replacement or upgrades in a few years anyway. Small towns might not care about 45 foot pole put them there. If 30 or 15 whatever towns are approving fast go with it. Outside of a few major markets sprint coverage is full of holes/gaps how many years later?

Don't get me wrong I am pulling for sprint it just amazes me how every company gets stuff done so quickly except sprint. Regardless of what people say about the cash the network is basically the bread and butter is it not? Better network = more customers so putting more money in wisely will only bring better returns

• Like 4

"Get something completed" WITH WHAT MONEY? They're basically in financial distress, improving slowly. They can't borrow. They are doing everything they can with the capital they have and the capital they can generate. Son can't throw more money at them without triggering the "you have to buy all of Sprint" clause thing.

They KNOW what they have to do. They aren't stupid. Previous management - yes, I'm convinced some were misguided. This group? I don't buy that at all. They need capital.

Yes I do know the financial issues. However, they need to start their own bottle drives. That have to find a way. I feel like son is starting to feel like it's time to let go. Sprint can let Verizon on b41 sites in cities they have congestion or att or Tmo. That would generate cash - short term roaming agreement of 2-3 years if need be. Most of us think it's stupid to sell some b41 but again what's the point of having it if u can't use it. is 10/20 of it that important they couldn't sell?? I mean honestly 800 lte is almost useless as 5mhz is trying to cover everyone inside or further from the tower... Maybe it's time for more b26 carriers since they don't seem to be turned up that much anyways.

Sprint has to get creative somehow.

• Like 1

Yes I do know the financial issues. However, they need to start their own bottle drives. That have to find a way. I feel like son is starting to feel like it's time to let go. Sprint can let Verizon on b41 sites in cities they have congestion or att or Tmo. That would generate cash - short term roaming agreement of 2-3 years if need be. Most of us think it's stupid to sell some b41 but again what's the point of having it if u can't use it. is 10/20 of it that important they couldn't sell?? I mean honestly 800 lte is almost useless as 5mhz is trying to cover everyone inside or further from the tower... Maybe it's time for more b26 carriers since they don't seem to be turned up that much anyways.

Sprint has to get creative somehow.

B26 is hardly reaching further than B25.

• Like 3

Uh oh. Looks like the 600 MHz auction isn't drawing the revenue that was once projected.

https://twitter.com/KatyontheHill/status/770781733457317888?s=09

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I suspect that Blue and Red don't need as much for the long term as both are going to bet the farm on 5g

• Like 3

A lot of really great posts in this thread today. Made for good reading, and thinking.

My take on Sprint is seeing a company with much potential and wanting them to succeed because there's always been something I like about Sprint, in the way they have fair prices and various interesting plans over the years that have been great deals for customers. Meanwhile, they have this excellent amount of spectrum, but somehow not enough cash to make their network be amazing. I can understand not being able to financially expand the network, but why not get band 41 on all towers as I've read many people here mention. I agree with everyone thinking that, and I'm hoping Sprint will do this.

I've got to say I've lost faith in Masa and Marcelo to a large degree, hoping they can prove me wrong though. I know how much they want T-Mobile, but its still no excuse not to try and make Sprint better with what they do have and what they can do with it for the future of the company. Reading about Masa saying he tried to sell Sprint after the T-Mobile hopes failed, really sounded bad to me, still does thinking about it. Sprint needs cash and it needs customers, yet it also needs a great rate plan, which Sprint use to offer and was doing until the mess with the 50% off stuff, and now this Unlimited Freedom plan.

Sprint needs to get creative and think big about getting business in, and the way they probably ought to do it is by maybe trying not to compete so much with T-Mobile on prices, but with companies like Cricket. If Sprint were to offer a capped speed deal at 9mbps for everything, video, music, and offer a 1mbps speed for unlimited hotpot, at around $45-$55 monthly, they'd get lots of business the way they did with those rate deals with SERO. Literally bring back SERO, but for data, with reasonable network limitations that are still useful at a rate that while not as profitable, will bring in the business numbers they need and reduce churn.

• Like 1

That's all good -- but Marcelo and Masa know more than we do. In many ways -- including which carrier a churned customers turn to AND which carriers people are porting from AND not porting back out!

I'd assume that key knowledge helps pinpoint where to spend their undersized stash of money to count the most. Which is why Sprint stinks for me.

I assume AJ will Shirley ;-) correct me as needed. Or any one else here...

Also Marcelo wants that bonus - and will work his ___ off for it. I know I would be!

• Like 5

That's all good -- but Marcelo and Masa know more than we do. In many ways -- including which carrier a churned customers turn to AND which carriers people are porting from AND not porting back out!

I'd assume that key knowledge helps pinpoint where to spend their undersized stash of money to count the most. Which is why Sprint stinks for me.

I assume AJ will Shirley ;-) correct me as needed. Or any one else here...

Also Marcelo wants that bonus - and will work his ___ off for it. I know I would be!

Being that I don't work for Sprint, particularly in the financial departments, I don't really know what their financial situation is, but I've read online that it isn't so good. Sprint is last in the amount of customers, and if their churn is bad, they really shouldn't be raising prices, especially as they haven't improved that bad reputation that still seems to be plaguing them. When the reports seemed really good last year, as though Sprint was improving, Sprint ought to have taken advantage of that with really tempting offers, rather than continue the 50% off deal that many people have complained about not being exactly what it sounded like, or being given different quotes by different representatives, etc.

Now that the reports this year seem to indicate Sprint falling back, or merely not keeping up with the improved competition, Sprint doesn't have much chance at getting people in now as they did back then. Still, they could try getting customers by having a simple, easy to understand, unbeatable deal, one that is not trying to mimic T-Mobile's offer. Having it simple, will tell customers that they mean simple,unlike the "Uncarrier" Sprint would be wise to say this in their advertisements, while promoting a simple deal that would bring back the excitement people had for Sprint back in the SERO offer days. Then as more customers join, Sprint could then begin to advertise their network properly, without making promises.

A plan offering 9mbps for smartphone and tablet unlimited date usage, with no hotspot usage included, at $45 monthly per line, would be a major deal for Sprint, which then could offer a few upgrade options for unlimited hotspot usage, such as a $15 monthly add-on at 128kbps, a $30 monthly add-on for 512kbps, and $45 monthly add-on for 1mbps hotspot usage, all add-ons per line, not per account. Those hotspot add-ons would help bring in extra money for Sprint from people who want the hotspot service, without charging people for it who don't want it, which Sprint generally has been very good about not doing for many years. Those who want hotspot would be paying for the bulk of the network upgrades, while Sprint serves more people by offering their service at a reasonable, yet unbeatable value that isn't restrictive.

I still think Masa and Marcelo can succeed without a T-Mobile merger. Unfortunately they are penalized by not coming in July 2013 with more sweeping changes off the bat. In the past I argued for full SoftBank-ification. While I think some of the arguments were extreme in retrospect, there's clearly moves finally showing up that show Sprint as a clear subsidiary of SoftBank. I think the problem is they stood still for an entire year doing nothing while their network fell into disrepair. That is the time I wish Sprint could get back but can't. Hesse was clearly disinterested after the SoftBank deal. Unfortunately Masa went on the T-Mobile goose chase. I think a better way would have been to shake up the market first and then ask for regulatory trust. Unfortunately it is hindsight on my part.

• Like 3

It is all about capex, everything is about the network and whether you can earn a return on the heavy investment it would take to create a top notch data network. Unfortunately, it isn't clear that you can and with sprint's debt load it might not be feasible.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I think Sprint is doing fine. I reached out to the CTO recently about network issues. He redirected me to the regional manager, who redirected me further to a more local manager, who gave me information on what neighborhoods are gonna be affected by incoming upgrades. He said full builds, local tower upgrades, and small cells are incoming, and he gave me his number so he can give a deeper insight into what the plan is. Sprint HAS a plan. I'm guessing they're just spending at a controlled rate to improve the numbers on their quarterly statements. This isn't the same Sprint that was falling behind years ago, they're even planning to address new neighborhoods that have poor service where I live. There's definitely change coming, and for the first time in a long time, I'm more optimistic about Sprint than ever before.

• Like 6

I think Sprint is doing fine. I reached out to the CTO recently about network issues. He redirected me to the regional manager, who redirected me further to a more local manager, who gave me information on what neighborhoods are gonna be affected by incoming upgrades. He said full builds, local tower upgrades, and small cells are incoming, and he gave me his number so he can give a deeper insight into what the plan is. Sprint HAS a plan. I'm guessing they're just spending at a controlled rate to improve the numbers on their quarterly statements. This isn't the same Sprint that was falling behind years ago, they're even planning to address new neighborhoods that have poor service where I live. There's definitely change coming, and for the first time in a long time, I'm more optimistic about Sprint than ever before.

I was recently directed to a guy like that as well, a so called network guy... I blew his mind in our conversation to the point that he didn't understand half of what I was saying. I have my doubts right now, if a network guy can't understand me then who will?

• Like 5

I still think Masa and Marcelo can succeed without a T-Mobile merger. Unfortunately they are penalized by not coming in July 2013 with more sweeping changes off the bat. In the past I argued for full SoftBank-ification. While I think some of the arguments were extreme in retrospect, there's clearly moves finally showing up that show Sprint as a clear subsidiary of SoftBank. I think the problem is they stood still for an entire year doing nothing while their network fell into disrepair. That is the time I wish Sprint could get back but can't. Hesse was clearly disinterested after the SoftBank deal. Unfortunately Masa went on the T-Mobile goose chase. I think a better way would have been to shake up the market first and then ask for regulatory trust. Unfortunately it is hindsight on my part.

I agree, Fraydog. Sprint just needs to spend money on getting more towers built, and that isn't even all they can do to make a huge difference. Again, from reading posts here on S4GRU, it seems many here want Sprint to get going on putting band 41 on more towers. I am absolutely certain this will make a major improvement for Sprint, because all I have to point out about it is back when I had Sprint prior to carrier aggregation and the increase to 10x10 PCS.

Back then, PCS was at 5x5, and it was really bad where I was at with it. As some here may remember, that was the only thing I was vocal against Sprint regarding its network, while also praising the network for the areas where band 41 was connected. The main problems I had with Sprint was related to bad experiences dealing with their store employees, but otherwise my network complaints were limited to those areas on PCS. I believe if I were on Sprint nowadays, it would be a good enough network experience while connected to PCS, though still hoping for band 41 as the better experience connected to that using Sprint.

PCS at 5x5 was miserable getting under 3mbps and having slowdown much of that time around where I'm mostly at. Yet, when traveling through Schaumburg, an area where Sprint has a very good, strong band 41 deployment, the network experience was quite impressive. In Schaumburg, at rush hour traffic, Sprint on band 41 made a major difference, especially compared to using T-Mobile in that area, which during rush hour brought very slow speeds.

Yet, Sprint on band 41 during rush hour didn't go below 10mbps, often at 15mbps and above, no carrier aggregation at that time either. That really impressed me regarding Sprint and further showed me how great band 41 spectrum is and how Sprint was smart to get it. I know from that if Sprint did as many people here say just to get band 41 on at least most, if not all the sites, that would be plenty of improvement right there. I really don't understand why Sprint cannot do that. Financially, it shouldn't be difficult, since those sites already are there.

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are a bunch of downers! What makes you suddenly think Sprint is failing again when the last quarterly report looked so good? I've been a (continuous) Sprint customer since 2012 and first used the service in 2009 and it has never been better. Sprint is doing a good job of keeping current customers happy, which is the only way you stop the bleeding in any business. Now, they are building on that and attracting new customers. Nothing has changed since the last quarterly report. Sprint is on a very positive trajectory. Have a little faith. :)

• Like 11