Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

What if providers don't "work with Sprint to identify respective traffic keys" and just send encrypted data streams?  Since the plans are unlimited won't that mean that people just get unlimited full speed video streaming?

As I read it, content providers have "three choices" as listed.

If a content provider doesn't provide Sprint with information, then by default "The Sprint Network will optimize streaming rates utilizing the above respective limits for customers on the Unlimited Freedom Plan."

• Like 1

If a content provider doesn't provide Sprint with information, then by default "The Sprint Network will optimize streaming rates utilizing the above respective limits for customers on the Unlimited Freedom Plan."

Which to me this approach is night and day better than TMO in that it's a more fair playing field. And more in line with Net Neutrality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That AT&T requirement for DTV is huge for people like myself who live in NYC and can't get satellite TV, since that drives the purchase consideration.

If I had a house it would look appealing, otherwise it's not a fair comparison. 

Do you have Uverse available there from AT&T?

So long as Uverse is available, it only starts at $20 monthly if you can get someone at AT&T to give U-basic. Plus, with bundling discounts, it doesn't cost much more than Sprint and T-Mobile. Besides the Freelancers Union discount I've mentioned, there is another discount membership called "Founders Card" that gives a discount too. 

• Like 1

Just curious...is this off the entire plan or just a certain portion?

I get the discount off of the entire Unlimited Data plan. My mother and I both have lines, and so that normally costs $140 monthly. The discount is 22% off of that, so around $30 monthly discount for two lines. I'm not sure what others here mean by 60.

I guess my question is about how Sprint will know what the data is.  If you're receiving data over a TLS encrypted connection, how does Sprint decide that it's video and should be throttled to 2Mbps or audio and should be throttled to 500kbps or neither and shouldn't be throttled at all?

• Like 1

I guess my question is about how Sprint will know what the data is.  If you're receiving data over a TLS encrypted connection, how does Sprint decide that it's video and should be throttled to 2Mbps or audio and should be throttled to 500kbps or neither and shouldn't be throttled at all?

I like Sprint, but I find the audio throttling a bit ridiculous. Surely, the video throttling is understandable, as it can be very stressful on the network, but audio streaming?

T-Mobile definitely offers a better deal when it comes to listening to streaming music. As much I hate to say this, I think this is the one time I'd love to hear John Legere call out Sprint for that. Most people here know I'm not at all a fan of his, but this time it would make sense for him to do that, and I'd support him for it this time around. Throttling audio just seems like a cheap move to me.

I like Sprint, but I find the audio throttling a bit ridiculous. Surely, the video throttling is understandable, as it can be very stressful on the network, but audio streaming?

T-Mobile definitely offers a better deal when it comes to listening to streaming music. As much I hate to say this, I think this is the one time I'd love to hear John Legere call out Sprint for that. Most people here know I'm not at all a fan of his, but this time it would make sense for him to do that, and I'd support him for it this time around. Throttling audio just seems like a cheap move to me.

500kbps is more than enough for high definition audio. I can't really think of any music service that would even require that kind of throughout. Pretty much all hd audio maxes at 320kbps and not all tracks are even necessarily available at that quality.

• Like 2

I get the discount off of the entire Unlimited Data plan. My mother and I both have lines, and so that normally costs $140 monthly. The discount is 22% off of that, so around $30 monthly discount for two lines. I'm not sure what others here mean by 60.

The 22% should only be off, of the data portion and not the access fees which are $40 per device for the Unlimited plan.

At least that's what it should be.

• Like 1

uhh...streaming music is throttled at 500 kps, it's the same thing as not throttled.   What beef do you have with this? 

• Like 1

I'm not sure about discounts on Sprint, though if a business offers it, then great. Discounts on wireless service are good to have.

The 22% off discount on AT&T service I found out about through S4GRU member gusherb, who mentioned it here somewhere on the forums some time ago. In order to get the discount, there is an organization online called the Freelancers Union, The membership is free and it gives members a wide variety of discounts to many different services, including AT&T.

This is the direct link to the Freelancers Union AT&T discount page :

https://www.freelancersunion.org/discounts/detail/ATT

Keep in mind anyone seeing this that Freelancers is for people with their own businesses and such. Please don't abuse it, I would hate to see this nice discount taken away.

• Like 2

500kbps is more than enough for high definition audio. I can't really think of any music service that would even require that kind of throughout. Pretty much all hd audio maxes at 320kbps and not all tracks are even necessarily available at that quality.

There is Tidal HiFi streaming that goes over that limit though. I forget what the exact number is though, but its certainly not nearly as network intensive as video.

The 22% should only be off, of the data portion and not the access fees which are $40 per device for the Unlimited plan.

At least that's what it should be.

I'm not sure, but the 22% off is how its being done on our deal. I'll look into it more though.

uhh...streaming music is throttled at 500 kps, it's the same thing as not throttled.   What beef do you have with this? 

The limit isn't enough for streaming Tidal HiFi. Besides that though, its a petty to limit audio, as its not anywhere near as network intensive as video. Also, it looks bad for Sprint to this, especially when T-Mobile is not. Sprint has much more spectrum available on its network an more capacity than T-Mobile, so having this limit on audio, not a very good thing. Surprisingly the bigger complaint online so far about this new plan isn't even that, but rather the limit on gaming.

Since according to John Legere's twitter account, he's on a plane traveling, it may be a bit before he responds to this, but I'm not doubting he will. I'm hoping Sprint will come around though and make a few changes to match T-Mobile's limits, then that will be fine. 

The limit isn't enough for streaming Tidal HiFi. Besides that though, its a petty to limit audio, as its not anywhere near as network intensive as video. Also, it looks bad for Sprint to this, especially when T-Mobile is not. Sprint has much more spectrum available on its network an more capacity than T-Mobile, so having this limit on audio, not a very good thing. Surprisingly the bigger complaint online so far about this new plan isn't even that, but rather the limit on gaming.

Since according to John Legere's twitter account, he's on a plane traveling, it may be a bit before he responds to this, but I'm not doubting he will. I'm hoping Sprint will come around though and make a few changes to match T-Mobile's limits, then that will be fine. 

You have to pay extra for the Tidal HiFi.  Majority of people can't even tell when audio is played at HD or HiFi.

Legere would have nothing on Sprint with their Unlimited Data offer.  Tmo One has more charges for the "add-on" premiums than Sprint (hotspot and autopay).  If anything, Sprint should have an outline of the differences between the two plans and call out Tmo price structure. 

Edited by Hmight
  • Like 4

Do you have Uverse available there from AT&T?

So long as Uverse is available, it only starts at $20 monthly if you can get someone at AT&T to give U-basic. Plus, with bundling discounts, it doesn't cost much more than Sprint and T-Mobile. Besides the Freelancers Union discount I've mentioned, there is another discount membership called "Founders Card" that gives a discount too.

NYC doesn't have U-Verse.

Deval, depending where you are you can get DirecTV. Maybe not in Manhattan, but I know for a fact in Brooklyn some apartments you can install the dish right by your balcony or by a window.

• Like 1

Deval, depending where you are you can get DirecTV. Maybe not in Manhattan, but I know for a fact in Brooklyn some apartments you can install the dish right by your balcony or by a window.

While technically true, I do not believe most people would settle for 12mbs internet vs 300+ offered by FIOS and Cable companies.

• Like 2

You have to pay extra for the Tidal HiFi.  Majority of people can't even tell when audio is played at HD or HiFi.

Legere would have nothing on Sprint with their Unlimited Data offer.  Tmo One has more charges for the "add-on" premiums than Sprint (hotspot and autopay).  If anything, Sprint should have an outline of the differences between the two plans and call out Tmo price structure. 

People do pay extra for Tidal HiFi, and they want it to work well on the wireless network they subscribe to. Personally though, I'd rather Deezer launch their HiFi service beyond just for people who own and listen through their Sonos music system, as Deezer has a larger music collection than does Tidal. However, Tidal is fine for now. The HiFi version does make a difference for those who notice it. John Legere could advertise that to T-Mobile customers and those potential customers as the service to work better for HiFi music. All Sprint needs to do is remove the audio limit, and they'll have a clear advantage over T-Mobile, both in terms of network and in price.

I wasn't aware about Uverse being available there or not. Seems Verizon has a hold on that market with Fios.

People do pay extra for Tidal HiFi, and they want it to work well on the wireless network they subscribe to.

Coincidence may have it, Sprint is sponsoring some Tidal event. BTW Tidal HiFi bitrate is 1141kbps. So either way it fits under Sprint max allowed mbs for audio streaming.

• Like 2

Coincidence may have it, Sprint is sponsoring some Tidal event. BTW Tidal HiFi bitrate is 1141kbps. So either way it fits under Sprint max allowed mbs for audio streaming.

My guess is Sprint will likely change some of the limits on the maximum plan eventually, audio being one of them. With this event though you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if they included free HiFi streaming with Tidal, but did it in a way not to be exclusive, as per Net Neutrality. Maybe Sprint doesn't want some streaming service coming along that gives 32-bit streaming that takes up more of the network than Tidal's 16-bit, which may be why these limits, I'm not sure. Although still, I've seen some complaints on the gaming limits, so it'll be interesting how Sprint addresses it.

All for fun, wouldn't it be something if Verizon announced unlimited music streaming at 64kbps maximum?

Coincidence may have it, Sprint is sponsoring some Tidal event. BTW Tidal HiFi bitrate is 1141kbps.

You transposed some digits -- 1411.2 kbps.  But that is not Tidal HiFi bit rate, which is variable.

AJ

You transposed some digits -- 1411.2 kbps.  But that is not Tidal HiFi bit rate, which is variable.

AJ

Am I reading something wrong here..

Quote from their page

Normal quality:

96 kbps (AAC +)

High quality:

320 kbps (AAC)

HiFi:

Flac 1411 kbps - Lossless

(16/44.1 khz)

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/201594722-How-good-is-the-sound-quality-on-TIDAL-

I wasn't aware about Uverse being available there or not. Seems Verizon has a hold on that market with Fios.

Here's a history lesson for you Arysyn, since I know you'd appreciate it - the New York Telephone Company merged to become Verizon. Verizon controls all the copper lines here, and FiOS is their initiative to replace all copper with fiber optic.
  • Like 2