Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

XB designates an ODAS headend for XD nodes.

Do you know what any of the other designations are? XC I assume is a regular macro? Though I do see it for some DAS nodes/antennas as well. And XR is repeater or DAS antenna I believe? XM I think is for a microwave link. Can you think of any more?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 2

That is my point. If you are looking at sprint as a long term asset you need the network investment. If you are looking to sell, you need to improve the balance sheet.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

All corporations through history clean their balance sheets before mergers and acquisitions. So as much anyone anyone wants to be in denial Sprint is basically getting their financial house in order for exactly that.

Whether selling to Comcast down the road or a merger between 3 and 4 that will happen with the next administration which will be more corporate friendly. The company goal right now is to lower the debt. That is why they laid off a lot of people, lower Capex and cuts in others areas.

Last year Marcelo was singing the merger song exactly not so many months ago. After giving those comments in September Sprint created an action plan to lower expenses, lower the debt why? Because the culprit cable company told them we won't buy you unless you address the debt.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-claure-wed-benefit-merger-cable-mso-no-ma-works/2015-09-25

• Like 1

All corporations through history clean their balance sheets before mergers and acquisitions. So as much anyone anyone wants to be in denial Sprint is basically getting their financial house in order for exactly that.

That's right, cutting costs and expenditures in order to stay in business is too mainstream. Having a financial road map to profitability and liquidity is wrong. They should forget all about their financial obligations until they make it or go under.

• Like 5

Check out this very interesting Forbes article about Pinsight Media, a subsidiary of Sprint that does big data, behavioral analytics and app development.

Pinsight Media is also playing a central role as the landing page for the Kansas City WiFi Project that's going live today.

Sprint just posted an article about the WiFi Project as well.

Check out this very interesting Forbes article about Pinsight Media, a subsidiary of Sprint that does big data, behavioral analytics and app development.

Pinsight Media is also playing a central role as the landing page for the Kansas City WiFi Project that's going live today.

Sprint just posted an article about the WiFi Project as well.

I'm guessing the Sprint only access requires Passpoint. Which STILL doesn't work on Nexus devices, despite the functionality supposedly being included in Marshmallow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

I'm guessing the Sprint only access requires Passpoint. Which STILL doesn't work on Nexus devices, despite the functionality supposedly being included in Marshmallow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

If im not mistaken Sprint broadcast 2.5 from those small cells, so there is no logging in, it should be seamless for Sprint users.

If im not mistaken Sprint broadcast 2.5 from those small cells, so there is no logging in, it should be seamless for Sprint users.

I assumed those were different models, since the article says "Sprint Wi-fi" in bold at the bulletpoint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I assumed those were different models, since the article says "Sprint Wi-fi" in bold at the bulletpoint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Seeing that now, not sure how that would work. Hopefully its not limited to Sprint direct devices.

You are correct my area isn't the tell all. yes you are correct using "bus loads" because the numbers aren't much more than that. It's still positive but not anywhere near convincing. I guess we will see next year when many of the leases are up. The next 12 months will be very important for sprint.

Remember sprint used test scores to advertise. With the others doing so well how long before its used against sprint?

As long as Sprint continues to win, they will use test scores. As for everything else, if churn is down year over year over year, that means even the post-lease customers are sticking around.

Amboy Rd and Richmond Avenue yes. However Sprint is the only one on it - everyone else is on the building literally 20 feet away. And not true - the Amboy Rd & Gifford's Lane site still lacks band 41.

Interesting, because the Google Street view shows different. Next time you're there can you share a picture in the NYC thread?

Seeing that now, not sure how that would work. Hopefully its not limited to Sprint direct devices.

I think it might be. It seems the reason Passpoint doesn't work on Nexus devices is because it's dependent on Sprint Connection Optimizer, which obviously isn't on Nexus devices. I'm guessing this would be the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

Everyday I commute in and out of Manhattan, and I travel around often so I experience the service in a lot of places. There are good places and there are okay places and there are bad places and some places are merely not excusable. Do I accept this? Yes because I like Sprint and I know they have the potential to be the best, it's in the spectrum. But they gotta focus on hitting upgrades faster. One of the reasons T-Mobile was so attractive to switchers in 2014 was because of the rate of acceleration from UMTS to LTE, it was unlike anything we ever seen before. Sprint has a lot of fiber and microwave in a lot of places so most things are upgraded and solid. But why in 2016 are they decreasing capex when there are still plenty of macros without LTE or band 41? They can't just brush that off!

I will say that in the NYC market, the amount of sites with Sprint (ALU) or Clearwire (Samsung) B41 equipment is almost every site, or getting near there. Sure there are a few outstanding sites but there are a ton of completed sites.

Something else to consider is that a capex reduction does not mean the work won't get done. Every week there are sites that get upgraded.

Santa Clara and Philly will be the two test/demonstration cities for the upcoming 5G Trial during Copa America next month.

Lots of info in the article and in the linked FCC applications from Nokia and Ericsson about the frequencies/equipment/setups for each venue.

(BTW: Sprint is a Copa America Sponsor)

• Like 1

Santa Clara and Philly will be the two test/demonstration cities for the upcoming 5G Trial during Copa America next month.

Lots of info in the article and in the linked FCC applications from Nokia and Ericsson about the frequencies/equipment/setups for each venue.

(BTW: Sprint is a Copa America Sponsor)

Wow, the other carriers are using absurdly high spectrum. It seems like 5G is just going to be for special use cases, like very high density stadiums and event centers and such. I'm surprised that would really even penetrate someone's pocket, and definitely won't make it through a wall or other obstacles. Those are line of sight microwave frequencies right?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

Wow, the other carriers are using absurdly high spectrum. It seems like 5G is just going to be for special use cases, like very high density stadiums and event centers and such. I'm surprised that would really even penetrate someone's pocket, and definitely won't make it through a wall or other obstacles. Those are line of sight microwave frequencies right?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Others here can speak to the frequency propagation properties way much better than I can, so I'll defer! But I do recall there were people on FierceWireless making comments on 2.5 GHz not going through a wet paper bag and the like.

I also find it interesting that Ericsson's FCC Application has multiple redactions, but Nokia's FCC Application does not.

Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Others here can speak to the frequency propagation properties way much better than I can, so I'll defer! But I do recall there were people on FierceWireless making comments on 2.5 GHz not going through a wet paper bag and the like.

I also find it interesting that Ericsson's FCC Application has multiple redactions, but Nokia's FCC Application does not.

Any thoughts on this?

Well 2.5 GHz isn't much different from regular wifi (2.4 Ghz), so I expected similar penetration through walls and such, albeit better range from increased power and less interference.

But look at how 5Ghz drops off and can't penetrate walls well... and we're talking 28, 37, and 39 GHz! Sprint's 14.5-15.35 is better, but will still have penetration problems even at higher power. Even line of sight, directional microwave, with higher transmit power, can be disrupted by rain at times. I don't see it being viable outside of being in the same room as the cell.

And I'll agree I don't know the exact details of the propagation (maybe it is better than it appears), but it seems only useful for densely packed spaces to provide capacity.

Or perhaps if it's on every street pole it may be able to provide an alternative to wired internet service, but my intuition is that it'd be cheaper and more reliable to just run a line to the house like is done now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 4

When getting that high in frequencies. You are talking point to point beaming, with directional antennas wave guides and all. Moving mobiles wouldn't work. For example, a 30 ghz ham radio setup.

9fb9f76f40d7eaeb1c89ccf8aa18f7c4.jpg

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

When getting that high in frequencies. You are talking point to point beaming, with directional antennas wave guides and all. Moving mobiles wouldn't work.

I suppose it could be viable backhaul solution for small cells, it would let you install them more densely. But then that's just regular microwave....

I feel like whenever LTE is actually upgraded to some newer standard, the cost to upgrade all the macros plus small cells are going to continue to increase dramatically. Not on a per cell basis, but just because there are so many more that will need upgrades.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

But look at how 5Ghz drops off and can't penetrate walls well... and we're talking 28, 37, and 39 GHz! Sprint's 14.5-15.35 is better, but will still have penetration problems even at higher power. Even line of sight, directional microwave, with higher transmit power, can be disrupted by rain at times. I don't see it being viable outside of being in the same room as the cell.

I think what's important to note is that 5G is to serve the over encumbered networks of dense urban areas like NYC, Chicago, LA. These networks will be deployed in an ultra dense small cell fashion, possibly through LTE UE Relay. It's less about serving people indoors because of indoor DAS & wifi, and more so about making sure people on the street are satisfied. On top of this, street 5G will release LOADS of congestion off classic LTE networks, meaning potential 100Mbps indoors on 4G.

Before we mock twin bells and T-Mo, let's remember the biggest differentiator between 39GHz 5G and the current LTE networks we have is that, since carriers will be in control of 200MHz to a full 1GHz, they'll be deploying massive frequency carriers (1GHz TDD set up anyone?). So even though their 5G networks will have a tough time breaking through a wet paper bag, the bandwidths will be PRIME for megacities.

• Like 2

I think it is also said that air interfaces in the 5G standards will be able to break through walls more easily. That means more data can be moved on frequencies that were previously paper bag territory. Still, there needs to be a lot of small cell expansion and that is helped by better networks in the ground.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well I'm having no problem whatsoever on 4G LTE in DC at New York and Florida which rush hour still going on.0b649b376a328dbcfeb08b70790ed8bf.jpg

• Like 3

Well I'm having no problem whatsoever on 4G LTE in DC at New York and Florida which rush hour still going on.

Imaging seeing 10 to 20 times those speeds at rush hour. That's 5G.

At those frequencies, unless you are stationary. Your not getting anything

You'd get plenty even if you're moving. It's all about small cells - no where rural will be seeing 5G anytime soon, even suburban is probably a no.

You'd get plenty even if you're moving. It's all about small cells - no where rural will be seeing 5G anytime soon, even suburban is probably a no.

You're putting too much stock into these "5G trials". As far as we are concerned, these tests are to determine if high band spectrum will actually work. There are no guarantees, even for small cell usage.
  • Like 1