Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

True, It is funny though. They are selling 10 billion in assets, and the bill for aws auction is 10 billion

Verizon actually sold $15.54 billion in assets to recover from the auction and to pay for the $5 billion share repurchase commitment.

It's getting $10.54 billion for the Verizon wireline assets outside of the Northeast corridor, and it's getting $5 billion to sell American Tower the rights to a majority of Verizon's towers that it owns (I think it's 70% of the towers it owns, but I'm not sure).

I know that this has already been reported here, but I'm posting this here, because I'm surprised at the critical tone of the article...

Sprint has problems, and buying RadioShack stores isn't going to fix them

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-has-problems-and-buying-radioshack-stores-isnt-going-fix-them

I know that this has already been reported here, but I'm posting this here, because I'm surprised at the critical tone of the article...

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-has-problems-and-buying-radioshack-stores-isnt-going-fix-them

Well no one - especially anyone here, should ever be surprised at tone [emoji12]

The article may or may not be correct

But from a shoppers point of view, the majority of the time when I'm at a store where all four carries are sold. Majority of the time if you ask about TMO they say woah why do you want them. How about sprint - hey they are just as bad but cost more. What you want is (insert your favorite duopoly here)

Now when you go to any carrier owned store they obviously only sell their own. This is where Sprint sucks - at least where I live. My closet store was 18 miles - closed that store over a year now. I think I need to drive 30miles now if not further. Granted not every shops at a store - but maybe I'm just getting old. But I link it to brand awareness- if sprint doesn't have any stores near me, how much confidence do they have in their network!

I think it's a good move.

Okay I'll stop my rant [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

But from a shoppers point of view, the majority of the time when I'm at a store where all four carries are sold. Majority of the time if you ask about TMO they say woah why do you want them. How about sprint - hey they are just as bad but cost more. What you want is (insert your favorite duopoly here)

This is so very true, even from me.  I try my best to stay unbiased but I want T-Mobile/Sprint to win.  When I worked at BestBuy, people often asked me which network would work for them.  Any of them that said visiting rural/living in rural areas I recommended Verizon/AT&T.  Others I said are working on their network (note this was late 2013.)  

• Like 1

Well I guess none of you guys can tell me who was the very 1st store that sold Sprint spectrum phones when they first came out because Sprint didn't have any retail outlets at the time.

RadioShack can't fix Sprint's problems or anyone elses. They are bankrupt. It didn't matter if it was RadioShack or Hallmark Greeting cards. This has nothing to do with the dying brand of the bankrupt company. This has to do with instant access to a large geographic real estate holding. It could have been Krispy Kreme.

Sprint will now be able to expand to 1,750 new locations in a very short time. What a way to get your brand out there and get closer to your customers.

Do you know how many times I have heard it said 'well, I would have checked out Sprint but there are no stores anywhere near me. I know where the Verizon store is. It's next to my favorite mall or coffee kiosk.'

Good move Sprint. And keep pissing off the Haters.

• Like 17

RadioShack can't fix Sprint's problems or anyone elses. They are bankrupt. It didn't matter if it was RadioShack or Hallmark Greeting cards. This has nothing to do with the dying brand of the bankrupt company. This has to do with instant access to a large geographic real estate holding. It could have been Krisp Kreme.

Sprint will now be able to expand to 1,750 new locations in a very short time. What a way to get your brand out there and get closer to your customers.

Do you know how many times I have heard it said 'well, I would have checked out Sprint but there are no stores anywhere near me. I know where the Verizon store is. It's next to my favorite mall or coffee kiosk.'

I thought I read something about Sprint only using 1/3 of each store? Or is that a temporary move until Radioshack finally dies?

Sprint has fewer corporate owned stores than any other mobile provider in the US. More direct control of the brand channel is a good thing.

Though I am more in favor of using online channels, there are plenty of consumers who need in person help.

• Like 1

I thought I read something about Sprint only using 1/3 of each store? Or is that a temporary move until Radioshack finally dies?

nope I suspect all Sprint needs is that 1/3

The other products may help drive traffic and the big sign outside will say Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The stores will be rebranded Sprint on the outside. When you walk in, the wall closest to the door and 1/3 the floor space will be for Sprint. The remaining 2/3 will belong to Standard General to sell electronics which may or may not carry RadioShack brand labelling. That will be worked out in Bankruptcy court.

But to consumers they will appear as Sprint Electronics stores.

• Like 4

Marcelo strikes me as a smart guy.  If RadioShack goes completely under then he's left with good retail space.  If RadioShack survives then Sprint still has a better retail presence than it had before.

As far as being associated with a failing brand like RadioShack, Sprint must figure that its overall effort to reestablish its own brand will be enough to overcome that -- or maybe, but less likely, a new brand will take the place of the Sprint name.

• Like 2

All I want to know is; Who do I contact about being the entrepenuer to run the new store here in my town when they take over the RadioShack.  I wanted to do this before by adding it to my current business but could not find anyone with the correct information.  I contacted Sprint by letter, email, and phone without any replies.

All I want to know is; Who do I contact about being the entrepenuer to run the new store here in my town when they take over the RadioShack.  I wanted to do this before by adding it to my current business but could not find anyone with the correct information.  I contacted Sprint by letter, email, and phone without any replies.

They probably will not really pursue in detail anything on a local level until approved by the Bankruptcy Court.  Too much work in advance would be fruitless and wasted money if the Court rejects the offer or makes them restructure the offer to where it materially impacts their plans.  Keep after them, of course, but don't be surprised if they are not able to move on it for a little while.

• Like 2

RadioShack can't fix Sprint's problems or anyone elses. They are bankrupt. It didn't matter if it was RadioShack or Hallmark Greeting cards. This has nothing to do with the dying brand of the bankrupt company. This has to do with instant access to a large geographic real estate holding. It could have been Krispy Kreme.

Sprint owned a few crispy cremes back a year and a half ago in NOLA :P

I wonder if Sprint going into Radio Shack stores has anything to do with also wanting to sell connected Pepper robots (That AI Bot that was presented last year...) They were wanting to start selling them this year...hmmm....Brand as "Sprint Electronics?" 

• Like 4

Well I guess none of you guys can tell me who was the very 1st store that sold Sprint spectrum phones when they first came out because Sprint didn't have any retail outlets at the time.

I don't think anyone remembers the first Sprint PCS stores in RadioShack.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone remembers the first Sprint PCS stores in RadioShack.

Speaking of rebranding from another thread, I call not for a return to Sprint PCS -- though I still love that brand -- but instead to Sprint PCS/SMR/BRS/EBS.  It has a nice ring to it.

;)

AJ

• Like 9

I wonder if Sprint going into Radio Shack stores has anything to do with also wanting to sell connected Pepper robots (That AI Bot that was presented last year...) They were wanting to start selling them this year...hmmm....Brand as "Sprint Electronics?"

I was thinking the very same thing!

While I feel bad for Radioshack and all the employees who may lose their jobs, it's chilling and amazing at the same time to think what my local Shack's will look like if they get rebranded...

Like Wal-Mart, have Pepper be their door greeter?

• Like 1