Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If I've learned anything from this, it's that twitter loves trash talk/bantering regardless of the company that's doing it.

John got a hard recoil off this... His mentions? Not pretty. And you had the Magentan employees running at people who insulted Kim K... Pretty weird. I was the only one who made the SoftBank connection between them both. I'm amazed at the amount of people who get amped up about this sort of thing.

• Like 3

John got a hard recoil off this... His mentions? Not pretty. And you had the Magentan employees running at people who insulted Kim K... Pretty weird. I was the only one who made the SoftBank connection between them both. I'm amazed at the amount of people who get amped up about this sort of thing.

Meh. I don't particularly care for Kim Kardashian West, but I did play around with the advert site they launched, simply because it was so technically interesting. Sure, I got polluted with a few mentions with Kim's "stash" of images, but the technology was still very cool.

Try reading some of the TmoNews article comments.  Even many Magentans are not happy with the commercials and the state of the network.  The Legere honeymoon period is rapidly fading.

AJ

Really?  What's your basis to say the Legere honeymoon period is rapidly fading?  This is something you've said for well over a year but no data seems to support that (unless you go looking for angry Magentans, I suppose).

For the sake of discussion and learning, if you are going to bash T-Mobile, you should frame their current subscriber trends based on factual data that can not be emotionally distorted.

Postpaid stats:

T-Mobile Churn: 1.5-1.6% on postpaid, roughly flat over the past 2 years.

T-Mobile Net Adds: 4.886 million, beating Sprint and AT&T - only Verizon with 5.396 million net adds did better, and only because of tablets.

T-Mobile Net Voice Adds: estimated 4 million - more than Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint combined.

I personally want both Sprint and T-Mobile to both succeed and prosper and discuss things that can/should be done to help them do so.  Randomly throwing out negative comments about a competing carrier that lack factual basis doesn't seem to help s4gru members learn/thrive/grow.

I don't think it helps anyone to just talk junk on other carriers - it doesn't help anybody have an informed discussion or develop an informed opinion.

I think the biggest point of discussion is that T-Mobile is adding a lot of subscribers and I suspect it will be hard to maintain the "data strong" network that they claim to have.  AJ, based on your visits on team magenta forums, maybe you've seen a few people complain about how speeds have declined as subscriber count has grown.

As we've discussed, if Sprint can execute, they are the best positioned to actually maintain, improve, and increase data speeds across their network.  This is in contrast to T-Mobile who just got completely outgunned/outspent during the latest AWS auction.

Both carriers have tools and a plant to maintain and develop their evolving networks.  It's interesting to watch.

• Like 2

Really? What's your basis to say the Legere honeymoon period is rapidly fading? This is something you've said for well over a year but no data seems to support that (unless you go looking for angry Magentans, I suppose).

I believe he was referring to the honeymoon period of Legere's social media largesse and not company financial performance. And his network is not perfect in performance nor coverage. His comments are becoming less Pied Piper Song and more Crazy Uncle Rant.

EDITED FOR CLARITY

• Like 3

T-Mobile speeds are slacking in some of their non-MetroPCS markets. See Chicago where they have NO AWS-3 spectrum wins, NO 700 MHz, and NO path to 20x20 without shutting down GSM altogether, shutting down AWS HSPA, and aggregating PCS and AWS . 3rd largest market and Sprint is already breathing down their neck there in the speed department. Just wait until 8T8R kicks up. It hasn't yet really poured into high gear. Just wait.

• Like 2

T-Mobile speeds are slacking in some of their non-MetroPCS markets. See Chicago where they have NO AWS-3 spectrum wins, NO 700 MHz, and NO path to 20x20 without shutting down GSM altogether, shutting down AWS HSPA, and aggregating PCS and AWS . 3rd largest market and Sprint is already breathing down their neck there in the speed department. Just wait until 8T8R kicks up. It hasn't yet really poured into high gear. Just wait.

Att is obligated to sell the 700a. Only buyer is TMO.

Sure, but they aren't going to sell it for cheap. AT&T might even decide to deploy it for themselves since they are planning on including Band 12 support in their devices.

New Sprint devices support B12. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch for Sprint to try to pick up some 700-A spectrum in key places. Like Chicago. It would double Sprint's low frequency spectrum capacity in the 3rd largest city in America.

I don't expect them to do it. But they could.

• Like 2

Att can't deploy it because they're legally obligated to sell it.

Where does it say that they're obligated to sell it?

Something I found while searching for something else:

http://www.istockanalyst.com/finance/story/6587764/leap-wireless-international-inc-leap-best-way-to-gain-upside-from-lower-700-block-a-spectrum

Following the close of the deal with AT&T, current Leap shareholders will hold a proportionate share in a contingent valuation right (CVR) in the spectrum. The 700 MHz license will be transferred to a licenseco, and a stockholders' representative has been formed with three current Leap board members serving on the board.

The board will include Mark Rachesky, who is currently Leap's chairman and largest shareholder, as well as the current CEO and another current director.

"We believe it's in Mr. Rachesky's best interest to maximize the price received for the CVR as he likely will be the largest shareholder in the CVR," Manning said.

The stockholders' representative has two years to enter into an agreement to sell the spectrum and can incur up to $10 million in expenses before requiring approval from AT&T. If the stockholders' representative has not entered into a sales agreement within two years, AT&T will be allowed to sell the spectrum with proceeds distributed to the CVR holders.

This piece is from September 2013. It's interesting that T-Mobile hasn't already been able to secure a deal for the license. The value has almost assuredly gone up appreciably following the madness of the AWS-3 auction. If T-Mobile couldn't reach an agreement to purchase this spectrum before, it's certainly going to be a bitter pill now. Plus, if Rachesky's group doesn't have an agreement by a certain date then it falls to AT&T to dispose of it. This piece says that they're allowed, but not required, to sell it. They seemingly could just pay for the license themselves as they're not actively opposing Band 12 any longer and it would screw with T-Mobile as an added bonus. The shareholders just want their money. They don't care if it comes from T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Dish or some other entity.

• Like 1

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/atlanta-ga

Nokia...time to step up to the plate. I think it's still at Turner Field...right?

I'm confused as to how AT&T is in first place in speed? From the looks of it, Verizon is at least 30 percent faster than AT&T, and yet somehow AT&T (and T-Mobile) beats Verizon in the speed index?

-Anthony

This just tells you that all 4 networks are really kicking ass here in the A, something that benfits all 5.5 million of us in the metro area.  It's called choice, and they're all doing very well here.  Here's to competition!

That said, I'd like to see Sprint continue to improve in data speed, which they are continually doing (but so is everyone else).

All said, Sprint rocks in the A!

• Like 1

The good thing in my eyes is that Sprint is not dead last with low scores. Ill take last with scores that are in line with the other carriers. At least sprint had tied for first when it comes to all around reliability.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

A friend of mine is planning on switching to Sprint when their Root Metrocs report for Maryland shows signs of life. He's stuck with 300MB of data of ATT...lol

A work colleague left tmobile for 300mb on att because of no cov. in the parks and places just outside populated areas.

This just tells you that all 4 networks are really kicking ass here in the A, something that benfits all 5.5 million of us in the metro area. It's called choice, and they're all doing very well here. Here's to competition!

That said, I'd like to see Sprint continue to improve in data speed, which they are continually doing (but so is everyone else).

All said, Sprint rocks in the A!

My speeds have dropped significantly, I am lucky to pull 2Mbps during the day at work. A year ago I was pulling 30Mbps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 (Root + ElementalX Kernel)

Things like this are nice for cooling the "Sprint sucks" bashing that occurs on the Internet, if not for any other reason.

Except they'll say they suck solely based on the data speed. Happened to me many times.  Nobody puts any credit to reliability or call/text performance.

Sprint didn't fare well at all in Riverside.  The data score is atrocious.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/riverside-ca/2015/1H