Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I agree that Verizon has to maintain its margins but I would also argue that they simply want to keep them. They believe they have a premium brand and price accordingly. Other premium brands in other sectors rarely if ever engage in price wars with non-premium competitors.

True but that only lasts as long as 1) your customer considers you a premium brand and 2) they are still willing to pay for it.

Being a premium brand can breed resting on your laurels and that can bite a company quickly. There is such a fine line between behaving like a premium brand and being arrogantly out of touch with changing customer needs/wants.

True but that only lasts as long as 1) your customer considers you a premium brand and 2) they are still willing to pay for it.

Being a premium brand can breed resting on your laurels and that can bite a company quickly. There is such a fine line between behaving like a premium brand and being arrogantly out of touch with changing customer needs/wants.

Agreed. On all points. Cadillac was in trouble and Lincoln has darn near become an automotive footnote because they were arrogant. While the premium European brands, or the most part, have listend to the consumer and gave them what they wanted at a price.

Yeah there was an article published recently showing MetroPCS as the second most popular chain store in NYC and T-Mobile ranked 4th or 6th. Sprint wasn't even ranked. If Sprint were to convert all RadioShacks to corporate stores they'd move up in the ranks significantly.

Even in the Boston metro. There are 8 RadioShacks near Boston College but only 4 Sprint stores and 2 of those are corporate locations. If you push the brand in people's faces, they'll be forced to look eventually.

• Like 1

Yeah there was an article published recently showing MetroPCS as the second most popular chain store in NYC and T-Mobile ranked 4th or 6th. Sprint wasn't even ranked. If Sprint were to convert all RadioShacks to corporate stores they'd move up in the ranks significantly.

Even in the Boston metro. There are 8 RadioShacks near Boston College but only 4 Sprint stores and 2 of those are corporate locations. If you push the brand in people's faces, they'll be forced to look eventually.

Agreed. This is much more significant than the average bear realizes.

Great move for SoftBank

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/01/15/radioshack-may-soon-file-for-bankruptcy-sell-stores-to-sprint/

If true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nearest Sprint store is 2 hours away from me. I would love to see the local radio shack converted to a sprint store. We are in native coverage.
  • Like 1

This is kind of a big deal if they actually do buy the stores from them. Sprint's presence would skyrocket in many places. There are even 3 RadioShacks in Billings, MT where Sprint is likely to buildout coverage this year. That's give Sprint quite the head start in the area.

• Like 1

Except someone doesn't like it,...

@JohnLegere: When you’re on a sinking ship, don’t call another sinking ship for help! #SprintShack http://t.co/LlxbrJBa8H

Of course he doesn't like it. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I possibly disagree.  SoftBank should consider shuttering all Sprint stores in favor of increased traditional media marketing and online presence.

To illustrate, I have not bought a device at a Sprint store in over a decade, nor have I even set foot inside a Sprint store in over five years.  I have no need for any Sprint stores.

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but wireless retail jobs are the dregs.  They do not attract and cannot support highly skilled workers who represent Sprint well.  Plus, maintaining nationwide physical retail operations costs a lot of money in wages and leases -- money that could arguably be better spent on marketing and CAPEX. 

AJ

• Like 6

I possibly disagree. SoftBank should consider shuttering all Sprint stores in favor of increased traditional media marketing and online presence.

To illustrate, I have not bought a device at a Sprint store in over a decade, nor have I even set foot inside a Sprint store in over five years. I have no need for any Sprint stores.

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but wireless retail jobs are the dregs. They do not attract and cannot support highly skilled workers who represent Sprint well. Plus, maintaining nationwide physical retail operations costs a lot of money in wages and leases -- money that could arguably be better spent on marketing and CAPEX.

AJ

I agree and for the most part I am in the same boat, but what about the people who need tech support and repair on the devices in store?

I agree and for the most part I am in the same boat, but what about the people who need tech support and repair on the devices in store?

With the retirement of device subsidies, users may soon be on their own for tech support and repair.  They may need to contact actual OEMs or third party retailers for such services.  Wireless operators should not be in the consumer electronics retail business in the first place.

Even if wireless operators wish to maintain tech support and repair, physical retail presence is not required.  For example, I just had a brand new handset from MVNO Republic Wireless require tech support, then replacement.  Republic has no physical retail presence, so all transactions were handled online.  And I must say that the Republic online associates were far more knowledgeable and helpful than were typical Sprint store retail associates.

AJ

• Like 1

I possibly disagree.  SoftBank should consider shuttering all Sprint stores in favor of increased traditional media marketing and online presence.

To illustrate, I have not bought a device at a Sprint store in over a decade, nor have I even set foot inside a Sprint store in over five years.  I have no need for any Sprint stores.

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but wireless retail jobs are the dregs.  They do not attract and cannot support highly skilled workers who represent Sprint well.  Plus, maintaining nationwide physical retail operations costs a lot of money in wages and leases -- money that could arguably be better spent on marketing and CAPEX. 

AJ

I personally buy my devices online and all, but I believe many people would rather have questions about plans answered in store vs. a customer service rep on the phone.

• Like 1

AJ

I prefer to buy my devices in store. When I bought my LG Viper back in 2012 from Amazon Wireless, somehow they screwed something up and the activation was botched. It took a few hours and got resolved by Sprint Tech Support over the phone. All my other phones were bought in store, and Phone Connect & my iPad were the only other Sprint devices I bought online.

Of course, on the flip side, we helped my friends brother upgrade his iPhone 4S to a 6 Plus at the end of November in store, and we are still suffering from that, so I can partially see where you are coming from.

And, sometimes, prices may have to rise.  Be philosophical.  What happens when consumers want more service and faster service in more places?

AJ

With increases in technology prices generally decline. Cable TV and Internet service which has a 90%+  profit margin are of the few exceptions.

I possibly disagree. SoftBank should consider shuttering all Sprint stores in favor of increased traditional media marketing and online presence.

To illustrate, I have not bought a device at a Sprint store in over a decade, nor have I even set foot inside a Sprint store in over five years. I have no need for any Sprint stores.

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but wireless retail jobs are the dregs. They do not attract and cannot support highly skilled workers who represent Sprint well. Plus, maintaining nationwide physical retail operations costs a lot of money in wages and leases -- money that could arguably be better spent on marketing and CAPEX.

AJ

Id have to disagree there is a 1-3 hour wait at my store everyday because most people are not like you. But Ill agree lots of employees are worthless but those people don't hit metrics and get fried/quit. The people that are good and stick around can make 45-60k a year which is a pretty decent pay for the job and i would think it would attract good workers.

Now i would stand behind a complete closing of all third party stores. Nothing good comes from them and i feel like they weaken the sprint brand.

• Like 9

AJ

The last time I went in a Sprint store for ME was maybe 5 yrs ago, to buy a phone.  I've been a Sprint customer for over 10 yrs.  I RARELY go into a Sprint store.  I usually buy my phones from a 3rd party (mainly Best Buy, Amazon).

Except someone doesn't like it,...

@JohnLegere: When you’re on a sinking ship, don’t call another sinking ship for help! #SprintShack http://t.co/LlxbrJBa8H

The dude is a comedian. His primary goal is to create buzz by saying dumb things. I thought the Tweet was quite funny (especially the hashtag). Radioshack is definitely a sinking ship!

I despise wireless retail stores, but our local Sprint store is actually quite nice. The Verizon stores (multiple) are all terrible. Always have a wait, so they started putting a greeter with a tablet at the entrance to schedule appointments. Anecdotally, the vast majority of people in my area are VZ or SBC d.b.a. AT&T subs though. Retail stores are nice when you need a SIM swap though.

Now i would stand behind a complete closing of all third party stores. Nothing good comes from them and i feel like they weaken the sprint brand.

If it meant all Marshall Wireless stores in Saint Louis shut down I'd be all for it. Dude is toxic to Sprint's brand there, especially with the KFNS shenanigans.

• Like 1

If they end up taking over all the RadioShack leases, a lot of them might end up closing anyway.

There are more RadioShack stores here than corporate Sprint stores (including three RadioShacks less than one mile away from third party retailers). I imagine the folks who would potentially feel the most heat from this move are those third party standalone stores.

• Like 1