Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I pay $160 per month to share 10GB for four lines on AT&T. And I thought that was dirt cheap. This new plan blows my AT&T plan out of the water.

Save $60 per month and get double the data! And I could add even up to 6 more devices. Yes, existing customers the deal is less good. But even at the same price for double the data is not a bad deal. Too bad Sprint is not an option for me. The best I can hope for is AT&T lowers their prices further.

It will be interesting to compare the individual plans later this week. Fortunately, Sprint allows you to keep your existing plans. If they work better for you, then good! Keep them.

But this is still the best deal going for a POSTPAID plan (that includes roaming) with data buckets. And in that regard it is highly disruptive. It even beats prepaid family plans for new customers.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Question: Does this mean no new lines for framily? I was actually going to add one more line soon, it'll be a bummer if I can't.

Framily is still on their website. Perhaps it just won't be Sprint's first priority anymore.

Also, can we please stop armchair CEO-ing new plans? Sprint most likely has a room of accountants looking at all sorts of actuarial tables to offer feasible plans that meet the number one goal of any corporation: to make money for the shareholders.

My education was in economics, so I see exactly what Sprint is TRYING to do here.

Sprint knows they aren't going to beat the duopoly on the coverage map any time real soon, though the CAA/RRPP deal will at least make them more competitive. They also know they will lose a race to the bottom on price, since wireless has high fixed costs, and the big two have far more customers/higher margins and will win any war based on driving the cost per user into the ground.

The advantage that NV gives them is that their marginal capacity costs are much lower. NV equipment is more efficient to operate and make adding additional carriers less costly and time consuming, plus the trove of 2.6 Ghz spectrum means they have the spectrum to throw at capacity trouble spots. 

Sprint's value proposition is obvious: For the people we DO cover, you will get more data for your money. Your bill won't be a lot lower for those of you that don't use a lot of data, but using more data won't cost you an arm and a leg. 

I think they have the idea right, I just think they've made the pricing structure overly complex and thus harder to explain and sell.

• Like 6

I think these plans are good for some people but I still like the framily plans better if you can get down to the $25/mo. mark. So I'm looking at the new plans and it seems it is always more per month if you buy your phone subsidized then if you do easy pay. My math could be wrong.

• Like 1

I pay $160 per month to share 10GB for four lines on AT&T. And I thought that was dirt cheap. This new plan blows my AT&T plan out of the water.

Save $60 per month and get double the data! And I could add even up to 6 more devices. Yes, existing customers the deal is less good. But even at the same price for double the data is not a bad deal. Too bad Sprint is not an option for me. The best I can hope for is AT&T lowers their prices further.

It will be interesting to compare the individual plans later this week. Fortunately, Sprint allows you to keep your existing plans. If they work better for you, then good! Keep them.

But this is still the best deal going for a POSTPAID plan (that includes roaming) with data buckets. And in that regard it is highly disruptive. It even beats prepaid family plans for new customers.

The way I read it, it's $100+$15+$15+$15+$15=$160 for Sprint, but you would get 20GB of data instead of 10GB. (Actually $28, when you include the limited time 2Gb/per line bonus. But I'm looking at the long term value proposition.) So they match ATT on price, but give you more data. 

The way I read it, it's $100+$15+$15+$15+$15=$160 for Sprint, but you would get 20GB of data instead of 10GB. (Actually $28, when you include the limited time 2Gb/per line bonus. But I'm looking at the long term value proposition.) So they match ATT on price, but give you more data.

No $15 montly fees for new customers initially. Just $100/month. That's how I read it.

• Like 2

Framily is still on their website. Perhaps it just won't be Sprint's first priority anymore.

We had just upgraded our phones (new 2 year contract) when they let us switch to Framily without any penalty. If I can no longer add people to my Family, I have a right to leave ETF free right?

No $15 montly fees for new customers initially. Just $100/month. That's how I read it.

Correct, new customers get the $15 waived initially.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We had just upgraded our phones (new 2 year contract) when they let us switch to Framily without any penalty. If I can no longer add people to my Family, I have a right to leave ETF free right?

That was my understanding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't think Framily plans will be rescinded. The status quo will likely be maintained. It just gets harder to recruit if your potential Framily members like other plans better.

• Like 1

OK, that makes sense. But waving the fee is only for a limited time, right. (Since they are going to be stuck with getting a pile of new phones and what-not). This might be the straw that gets me to bring my family over. 

• Like 1

I don't think Framily plans will be rescinded. The status quo will likely be maintained. It just gets harder to recruit if your potential Framily members like other plans better.

Looks like it could turn out to be just another way for Sprint to screw their existing customers. And I just bought into Sprint stock again too. Not liking this approach.

Looks like it could turn out to be just another way for Sprint to screw their existing customers. And I just bought into Sprint stock again too. Not liking this approach.

That's right. Sprint sat down and decided, what is the best way to screw existing customers? That was their only intent. The rest of this stuff just fell into place after they bent over their customers, royally.

*rolls eyes*

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 8

That's right. Sprint sat down and decided, what is the best way to screw existing customers? That was their only intent. The rest of this stuff just fell into place after they bent over their customers, royally.

*rolls eyes*

Whatever man, the chances of this working out well in mid term for a couple like my wife and I doesn't look promising. No ten people we know that want to share the same family bill.

Whatever man, the chances of this working out well in mid term for a couple like my wife and I doesn't look promising. No ten people we know that want to share the same family bill.

Then wait and see what the individual plans are later in the week instead of dogging a plan you clearly aren't being targeted for.

• Like 4

I guess you missed that individual plans will be announced later this week. This is just the Family Plan released today.

• Like 2

Then wait and see what the individual plans are later in the week instead of dogging a plan you clearly aren't being targeted for.

They won't touch the 25 we pay each currently guaranteed. Just let me whine a little bit people. Being a shareholder allows me to bitch a bit.

They won't touch the 25 we pay each currently guaranteed. Just let me whine a little bit people. Being a shareholder allows me to bitch a bit.

Your whines and bitches will be challenged with reason and facts. Shareholder status means nothing to us.

• Like 5

One of the hardest things to do in business is to win back someone's business. I think these plans are competitive, but still not easy enough for your everyday person to grasp. I think a lot of the people that went to the big two will still be hard to win back until the network begins to prove itself. It is coming but I still think a brand name change may have to happen. Kind of like Comcast to Xfinity and Cablevision to Optimum. I am finally happy to see that they are starting to be more accepting of bring your own tablet to Sprint.

One of the hardest things to do in business is to win back someone's business. I think these plans are competitive, but still not easy enough for your everyday person to grasp. I think a lot of the people that went to the big two will still be hard to win back until the network begins to prove itself. It is coming but I still think a brand name change may have to happen. Kind of like Comcast to Xfinity and Cablevision to Optimum. I am finally happy to see that they are starting to be more accepting of bring your own tablet to Sprint.

I think Sprint is being pretty straight forward though. They say "twice the data, same or lower price". That's pretty convincing if you ask me.

I like my current situation with Sprint.  My two lines are in a full Framily.  I have the 3GB upgrade on my line, my wife is fine with 1 GB.  We don't need a huge bucket of data.  My problem with the new plans was that for people with only a couple of lines and no need for a huge bucket of data, there is not a lot of savings.  If you need a big bucket of data, they are great.  

But I see that there are more announcements to come later in the week so I will reserve final judgement until then.  The biggest issue with framily is your price goes up if you lose somebody.  I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon, but it could.  I would just like to see some good plans for single, 2 line customers who don't need a lot of data. $35-$40 a month for unlimited talk/text with 2-3GB data would be a good offering.  

And I understand Sprint can't give away the farm to existing subs, but I think a nod to the customers that have stuck with them through the NV upgrade issues should get something.  Maybe an early upgrade or $100 to a new device.  Just something to say thanks would be a good gesture.  

• Like 4

Being a shareholder allows me to bitch a bit.

No it really doesn't here as we aren't an independent volunteer maintained site. That said, as a fellow shareholder myself, there is quite a bit of irony here in the sense what you seemingly want isn't beneficial to shareholders.

• Like 4

I like my current situation with Sprint. My two lines are in a full Framily. I have the 3GB upgrade on my line, my wife is fine with 1 GB. We don't need a huge bucket of data. My problem with the new plans was that for people with only a couple of lines and no need for a huge bucket of data, there is not a lot of savings. If you need a big bucket of data, they are great.

But I see that there are more announcements to come later in the week. The biggest issue with framily is your price goes up if you lose anybody. I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon, but it could. I would just like to see some good plans for single, 2 line customers who don't need a lot of data. $35-$40 a month for unlimited talk/text with 2-3GB data would be a good offering.

And I understand Sprint can't give away the farm to existing subs, but I think a nod to the customers that have stuck with them through the NV upgrade issues should get something. Maybe an early upgrade or $100 to a new device. Just something to say thanks would be a good gesture.

Right on, same value position we're in, threatened by these changes.
  • Like 1