Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

1.  I have never heard of this issue before.  I'm not sure why you would want CM on an N5.  But I'll let someone else try to answer this question for you.

Only because it has some nice add-ons that stock doesn't have like long press Wifi button to go into setting for wifi among many others. 

I want to believe that it was a Samsung thing but I want to make sure.

2.  You can take a Google Play purchased N5 to AT&T or Tmo now.  No update required.  The coming update is to enable Sprint's Band 41 on it.  The device is fully unlocked now.  And even a Sprint purchased N5 should allow you to put in a Sprint card from another provider in it and it should work.  But it won't alleviate you from having to satisfy your Sprint contract for the device, should there be one remaining.  However, you cannot take a Tmo purchased N5 and activate it on Sprint.  I blame Legere for that one.  Because I like to blame him.

I have been told by sprint does send out an update/software thus my question.  The update to enable 41 is that modem/firmware update...will it effect swtiching if sprint sprinkle network doesn't save them from me leaving.

3.  The Nexus 5 comes with no Sprint bloatware, whatsoever.  No matter if you buy it from Sprint or Google.

Hmmm...strange that sprint on multiple ocassions told me that. 

Thanks for the help BTW.

Edited by polska2180o

Hi guys, I'm little frustrated because I'm having a hard time getting the right info about sprint and N5. So I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer and a major one for CM so I will start with that.

1. On my Galaxy S3 if I installed CM the handoff between 3g and 4g was slow, my understanding is that there is a proprietary software on samsung phones that handles that thus never really cracked so unless you use TW rom you will have to deal with that issue. My question is is that really the case or will I have the same issue with my N5 on sprint when i install CM?

I'm not an expert on this subject, but are you possibly referring to Sprint Connection Optimizer that comes pre-installed on all Sprint phones (non-Nexus)? That is the only thing I can think of that can affect 3G/4G/WiFi connections. 

Sprint doesn't control the Nexus 5, that's all Google, they push the updates, but there is no software change when you move to a different carrier or bloatware that Sprint puts on your phone. That's only if the phone is a Sprint branded phone.

There are a few Sprint employee's who still think its only allowed on a GSM network.

• Like 1

So what is the update that is supposed to be sent out.  In my area the have "spark" would i need the update to get it to work.  What is the update exactly?

Also since its a google device is teathering allowed?

Edited by polska2180o

1.  I have never heard of this issue before.  I'm not sure why you would want CM on an N5.  But I'll let someone else try to answer this question for you.

Only because it has some nice add-ons that stock doesn't have like long press Wifi button to go into setting for wifi among many others. 

I want to believe that it was a Samsung thing but I want to make sure.

2.  You can take a Google Play purchased N5 to AT&T or Tmo now.  No update required.  The coming update is to enable Sprint's Band 41 on it.  The device is fully unlocked now.  And even a Sprint purchased N5 should allow you to put in a Sprint card from another provider in it and it should work.  But it won't alleviate you from having to satisfy your Sprint contract for the device, should there be one remaining.  However, you cannot take a Tmo purchased N5 and activate it on Sprint.  I blame Legere for that one.  Because I like to blame him.

I have been told by sprint does send out an update/software thus my question.  The update to enable 41 is that modem/firmware update...will it effect swtiching if sprint sprinkle network doesn't save them from me leaving.

3.  The Nexus 5 comes with no Sprint bloatware, whatsoever.  No matter if you buy it from Sprint or Google.

Hmmm...strange that sprint on multiple ocassions told me that. 

1. After Rooting your Nexus 5, install Xposed Framework, and install GravityBox [KK]:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2554049

GravityBox has the ability to modify the stock quicksettings tiles so that it functions just like CM/PA/AOKP/PAC/Slim and other variations of those AOSP ROMs. I suggest staying stock rooted and trying GravityBox before switching over to CM.

2. The Nexus 5, whether bought from Sprint or the Google Play store, will never get a Sprint specific update, unless they pull off what happened with the Nexus 7 (2013) and Verizon LTE. I don't know how likely that is to happen since 1. We've seen pre-release versions of the Nexus 5 radio that could sporadically connect to Sprint's "Spark" LTE, so we're assuming that the update will go to ALL Nexus 5's, whether activated on Sprint or not, and 2. The current unlocked version of the Nexus 5 works just fine on Sprint's network, so there no reason to go through all the hoops that Verizon makes Google go through just to get a device certified on their network. Also, that Spark update has not happened yet, so there's no Sprint specific radio update to speak of.

3. Sprint trains their employees pretty poorly from what I can tell after reading lots of information on this site. I've heard of some Sprint employees who are still surprised that the Nexus 5 is even able to be activated on Sprint since they think it's a GSM-only phone, but we all know it isn't, and even the official Nexus 5 page on the Google Play Store explicitly lists Sprint as a compatible provider. You can't trust what they say.

1. After Rooting your Nexus 5, install Xposed Framework, and install GravityBox [KK]:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2554049

GravityBox has the ability to modify the stock quicksettings tiles so that it functions just like CM/PA/AOKP/PAC/Slim and other variations of those AOSP ROMs. I suggest staying stock rooted and trying GravityBox before switching over to CM.

2. The Nexus 5, whether bought from Sprint or the Google Play store, will never get a Sprint specific update, unless they pull off what happened with the Nexus 7 (2013) and Verizon LTE. I don't know how likely that is to happen since 1. We've seen pre-release versions of the Nexus 5 radio that could sporadically connect to Sprint's "Spark" LTE, so we're assuming that the update will go to ALL Nexus 5's, whether activated on Sprint or not, and 2. The current unlocked version of the Nexus 5 works just fine on Sprint's network, so there no reason to go through all the hoops that Verizon makes Google go through just to get a device certified on their network. Also, that Spark update has not happened yet, so there's no Sprint specific radio update to speak of.

3. Sprint trains their employees pretty poorly from what I can tell after reading lots of information on this site. I've heard of some Sprint employees who are still surprised that the Nexus 5 is even able to be activated on Sprint since they think it's a GSM-only phone, but we all know it isn't, and even the official Nexus 5 page on the Google Play Store explicitly lists Sprint as a compatible provider. You can't trust what they say.

Ahhh...perfect.  I would prefer to stay stock and GravityBox looks like will be my solution thanks!!!

So what is the update that is supposed to be sent out. In my area the have "spark" would i need the update to get it to work. What is the update exactly?

Also since its a google device is teathering allowed?

Tethering on any carrier is only allowed when you have tethering allotted in your plan and are paying for it. If you're looking to avoid that you won't find help here, its again the rulz.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tethering on any carrier is only allowed when you have tethering allotted in your plan and are paying for it. If you're looking to avoid that you won't find help here, its again the rulz.

it was a question that is not against the rules, and you didn't answer the queston.

it was a question that is not against the rules, and you didn't answer the queston.

I didn't? I thought I did...Well let me try again, yes you can turn on a hotspot(at least I could) but you won't be able to load anything on a device connected to it, not unless your cell plan includes tethering in it or you get it added to your plan. I wasn't trying to insinuate anything or suggest your question was against the rules, I was just potentially heading off a question that is(a few people asked for help with a work around to abuse their unlimited plans in the n5 thread, which is against s4gru rulez).

• Like 1

Wow. I just watched my n5 connect to cricket eHRPD and stay connected for 5 minutes until it hopped on to the even-closer-to-my-house Sprint eHRPD. Sometimes this phone is just weird.

Wow. I just watched my n5 connect to cricket eHRPD and stay connected for 5 minutes until it hopped on to the even-closer-to-my-house Sprint eHRPD. Sometimes this phone is just weird.

They could be working on that Sprint site near you, which could certainly provent you (or anyone else) from connecting to it for a period of time. How do you know you were on Cricket eHRPD?

-Mike

Next time the issue comes up try making an outbound call, I have it happen a few times and making a call somehow sends the text for me.

Thanks I'll make sure to try that. Airplane toggles work too(in case you don't have a need for data and don't need to make a call :P).

Or for a free call, call *2 (customer svc. number) then hang up right away

They could be working on that Sprint site near you, which could certainly provent you (or anyone else) from connecting to it for a period of time. How do you know you were on Cricket eHRPD?

-Mike

I was watching your app after I noticed my 3 bar connection go to 0. The tower is 3G complete, so I hope this means LTE is coming soon.

I was watching your app after I noticed my 3 bar connection go to 0. The tower is 3G complete, so I hope this means LTE is coming soon.

SignalCheck can't determine your eHRPD provider on non-HTC phones, so I'm guessing you mean your 1X connection switched to Cricket. In any case, it could have been anything, probably something site-related. Hopefully after-hours NV work!  :fingers:

-Mike

• Like 1

He did answer the question adequately. He simply put trying to ask how to bypass the carrier hotspot limitations is against the rules as it can and most likely leads to unlimited data abuse.

The Nexus 7 update didn't target Verizon devices. It went out to all LTE Nexus 7's. AFAIK Google has never targeted an OTA for devices on a certain carrier. The spark update will likely be rolled into a bug fix update (4.4.3).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I didn't? I thought I did...Well let me try again, yes you can turn on a hotspot(at least I could) but you won't be able to load anything on a device connected to it, not unless your cell plan includes tethering in it or you get it added to your plan. I wasn't trying to insinuate anything or suggest your question was against the rules, I was just potentially heading off a question that is(a few people asked for help with a work around to abuse their unlimited plans in the n5 thread, which is against s4gru rulez).

ty

Edited by polska2180o

He did answer the question adequately. He simply put trying to ask how to bypass the carrier hotspot limitations is against the rules as it can and most likely leads to unlimited data abuse.

Oh...boy no he didn't, initially he answered an entirerly different question i didn't ask, since then he explained it. 

The Nexus 7 update didn't target Verizon devices. It went out to all LTE Nexus 7's. AFAIK Google has never targeted an OTA for devices on a certain carrier. The spark update will likely be rolled into a bug fix update (4.4.3).Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well there you have it! Even the Nexus 7 didn't get a "carrier specific" update. I don't know where I got the information from, but I remember someone saying that the Nexus 7's would detect if there was a Verizon sim in there and then it would try to get the OTA, but alas, I only have a WiFi Nexus 7, so I have no firsthand experience with it.

So I just called Sprint again, they said that my area is spark capable though i'm hearing contradictory info here.  So when I activate my phone this week will i not get spark? 

Also, i have read some info about changing setting and making band 41 preferred, does that improve things. 

So I just called Sprint again, they said that my area is spark capable though i'm hearing contradictory info here.  So when I activate my phone this week will i not get spark? 

Also, i have read some info about changing setting and making band 41 preferred, does that improve things. 

The Nexus 5 does not have the Spark update yet.

Like you mentioned, you can modify the Band settings (with your MSL) and set Band 41 as a higher priority. Some users also flashed the older .15 radio to pick up Band 41. 

The Nexus 5 does not have the Spark update yet.

Like you mentioned, you can modify the Band settings (with your MSL) and set Band 41 as a higher priority. Some users also flashed the older .15 radio to pick up Band 41.

This will provide hit and miss results though (read through the last 20ish pages and you'll see). The general consensus is that the early 2014 release date for our spark update is Q1 2014(March 31st). This hasn't been officially confirmed I don't believe.

This will provide hit and miss results though (read through the last 20ish pages and you'll see). The general consensus is that the early 2014 release date for our spark update is Q1 2014(March 31st). This hasn't been officially confirmed I don't believe.

You're right. I probably should have ended it with "Your mileage will vary".

You're right. I probably should have ended it with "Your mileage will vary".

This is so frustrating...I believe you guys but why is Sprint telling me stuff that is not yet there.  Glad my contract is up...just for the ease point of view i will give it a whirl with my N5 on the now network, but I will be leaving in the next couple of months.  This is plain stupid.