Framily's Easy Pay vs 2yr subsidized pricing

MacinJosh

I feel like with the price of the phone, they're also including the cost or iOS. Hardware is nothing without a decent OS.Edit: I think we are pushing this thread off topic. :SSent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Sorta, but its still has to do with the cost of the new plans versus the old ones. Its just related more towards the hardware cost side of the plans(which is going to be probably the biggest hurdle for these new plans).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I was at a Sprint Corporate store and a rep told me that with Easy Pay Sprint is going to be getting rid of contracts and ETF's (like T-Mobile). Also, they said that I could upgrade my phone every 12 months as long as I traded in my old phone. All I had to do was pay full retail for the phone or choose a financing plan.

Sprint getting rid of contracts and ETFs is news to me.

From the FAQ's: "Does Sprint Easy PaySM require an Installment Agreement?

... Additionally, the customer is subject to the terms of the selected service and is required to sign a month to month Service Agreement, but the customer will not be subject to a term commitment."

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_more_about_Sprint_Easy_Pay/487c6885-c186-4f0d-b325-65b602af1de0?INTNAV=SU:AL:MVT

Can anyone clarify the Easy Pay details for me? 

I was at a Sprint Corporate store and a rep told me that with Easy Pay Sprint is going to be getting rid of contracts and ETF's (like T-Mobile). Also, they said that I could upgrade my phone every 12 months as long as I traded in my old phone. All I had to do was pay full retail for the phone or choose a financing plan.

From the FAQ's: "Does Sprint Easy PaySM require an Installment Agreement?

... Additionally, the customer is subject to the terms of the selected service and is required to sign a month to month Service Agreement, but the customer will not be subject to a term commitment."

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_more_about_Sprint_Easy_Pay/487c6885-c186-4f0d-b325-65b602af1de0?INTNAV=SU:AL:MVT

There have been many posts/threads discussing this over the past few months.

What specifically about easy pay has you confused?

From the FAQ's: "Does Sprint Easy PaySM require an Installment Agreement?

... Additionally, the customer is subject to the terms of the selected service and is required to sign a month to month Service Agreement, but the customer will not be subject to a term commitment."

Easy Pay works this way. You buy a phone and pay tax in store, and if you have an ASL, you pay a down payment on the phone. Then, the balance of the device is set up on a no interest payment plan for 24 months. You can pay that off early if you like, or you can keep it going for 24 months. If you pay $20/mo for unlimited data, then you get annual upgrades. If you upgrade annually, then you trade the phone in and payments are relieved for the other 12 months and you start all over. Im not sure if you can pay off the device financing and keep the phone when you upgrade at 12 months or not. A Sprint employee has to clarify that part.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I understand that Easy Pay is a financing plan for buying or upgrading a new phone. I'm not interested in financing.

I found some more details from Sprint: "

• If you are a customer in Sprint's Easy PaySM or One UpSM programs, you are required to sign a month to month Service Agreement, but the customer will not be subject to a plan term commitment or ETF. Note: Easy PaySM and One UpSM customers who cancel service prior to the completion of the installment agreement will be required to pay the remaining balance on the applicable device."

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_about_early_termination_fee/case-sp061027-20110823-171256/?ECID=vanity:etf

Aside from Easy Pay, aren't you required to sign a contract for voice and data service in order to use your phone? And thus the contract term and ETF issues. Can you do a Framily plan month-to-month?

I understand that Easy Pay is a financing plan for buying or upgrading a new phone. I'm not interested in financing.

I found some more details from Sprint: "

• If you are a customer in Sprint's Easy PaySM or One UpSM programs, you are required to sign a month to month Service Agreement, but the customer will not be subject to a plan term commitment or ETF. Note: Easy PaySM and One UpSM customers who cancel service prior to the completion of the installment agreement will be required to pay the remaining balance on the applicable device."

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_about_early_termination_fee/case-sp061027-20110823-171256/?ECID=vanity:etf

Aside from Easy Pay, aren't you required to sign a contract for voice and data service in order to use your phone? And thus the contract term and ETF issues. Can you do a Framily plan month-to-month?

Yes, Framily is month to month.

Easy Pay works this way. You buy a phone and pay tax in store, and if you have an ASL, you pay a down payment on the phone. Then, the balance of the device is set up on a no interest payment plan for 24 months. You can pay that off early if you like, or you can keep it going for 24 months. If you pay $20/mo for unlimited data, then you get annual upgrades. If you upgrade annually, then you trade the phone in and payments are relieved for the other 12 months and you start all over. Im not sure if you can pay off the device financing and keep the phone when you upgrade at 12 months or not. A Sprint employee has to clarify that part.

At 12-23 months you have the option of turning in your phone and buying new, or paying it off and keeping it.

What 3rd party retailers choose to do is their business. The marketing model that Sprint is adopting will gain a lot of traction before long and even the 3rd party retailers will abandon the subsidy model. The subsidy model is a rip off model. Always has been. I hated being bound by a 2 yr contract.

And as a staff member, I ask that you would please be respectful to other members here. We are here to dialog, not be vindictive over this or that. Members on this site have called for the end of carrier subsidies for well over a year before One Up and Easy Pay were introduced.

I am happy on the framily plan once they fix my bills ill be happy with it. I am not happy with the network but that is another story. I have no way to do a 2 year upgrade since i gave them all up to be on the new plan. But when a sprint reps makes a post that because best buy is getting framily that means upgrades are going away. Again i have no reason to care if they do or not. I just know if a conference call was made to 100's of sprint reps that this was going to happen you and me both know there would be rumors of it in the net and at this time there are none.

Sprint reps make no money on upgrades so i respect that they want this to happen but the fact remains that everyone you talk to besides the reps on here say that both will be around for a long time both 2 year upgrades and framily. this gives people a choice of either contract or no contract.

Unless there is a press release or a legit source stating contracts are going away with sprint on such and such date it is a rumor.

Time will tell but just because Best buy is expanding to carry the framily plan and also offer the other payment option does not mean contracts are going away it means they are expanding there business

Framily and Easy Pay will function pretty much the same way as they currently do at Sprint stores. Best Buy will continue to offer standard 2 year agreements for those that would not like to use Framily and Easy Pay. It was strongly hinted at the that 2 year agreements will be going away, just not now. Framily and Easy Pay will be the lead point when talking to Sprint customers.

On a related note, Verizon Edge will also be available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Framily and Easy Pay will function pretty much the same way as they currently do at Sprint stores. Best Buy will continue to offer standard 2 year agreements for those that would not like to use Framily and Easy Pay. It was strongly hinted at the that 2 year agreements will be going away, just not now. Framily and Easy Pay will be the lead point when talking to Sprint customers.

Will Best Buy finance the devices on EasyPay, or will Sprint through Best Buy?

Will Best Buy finance the devices on EasyPay, or will Sprint through Best Buy?

It is still financed through Sprint at the same prices available in Sprint stores. Sprint Easy Pay devices do not get tendered through Best Buy POS, the money is exchanged in the activation system. You will only be able to pay the initial amount with a credit card, no Best Buy gift certificates or cash.

Thanks. Any hint on how soon contracts might disappear?, did it sound like many months down the road or like in the next month or two? (eg At least long enough to upgrade to the S5)

Edited by chgoguy80

Thanks. Any hint on how soon contracts might disappear?, did it sound like many months down the road or like in the next month or two? (eg At least long enough to upgrade to the S5)

It did not appear imminent, but definitely coming.

• Like 1

It is still financed through Sprint at the same prices available in Sprint stores. Sprint Easy Pay devices do not get tendered through Best Buy POS, the money is exchanged in the activation system. You will only be able to pay the initial amount with a credit card, no Best Buy gift certificates or cash. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Based on that it seems like actual phone prices (due to lack of competition) paid by customers will be higher on Framily than currently (separate from the contract issue)? From what I have seen seen with contracts renewals, 3rd party are usually cheaper for phones than Sprints "official" prices which tend to penalize existing customers vs new. Example: Currently Best Buy Galaxy S4 $49.99, Sprint $199.99. If Easy Pay through Best Buy is same price as Sprint store prices, people would pay an extra $150 on Easy Pay?

Any idea if the idea that Best Buy will lead with the Framily push, will you still have discounted prices/sales of contract phones?

For those who work at Sprint stores and only advertise Framily, when you have a "sale/special" on a Framily phone does that reduction follow thru to the contract renewal price for the phone? Example Something like S4 regular price $600/24=$25/mo, contract upgrade price $250. If you have a Framily sale of say $500/24=$20.83/mo does the contract renewal price drop to $250-$100=$150?

We will be leading with Framily/Easy Pay and VZW Edge, but by no means forcing it. It is currently just another option for purchasing a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Based on that it seems like actual phone prices (due to lack of competition) paid by customers will be higher on Framily than currently (separate from the contract issue)? From what I have seen seen with contracts renewals, 3rd party are usually cheaper for phones than Sprints "official" prices which tend to penalize existing customers vs new. Example: Currently Best Buy Galaxy S4 $49.99, Sprint $199.99. If Easy Pay through Best Buy is same price as Sprint store prices, people would pay an extra $150 on Easy Pay?

Any idea if the idea that Best Buy will lead with the Framily push, will you still have discounted prices/sales of contract phones?

For those who work at Sprint stores and only advertise Framily, when you have a "sale/special" on a Framily phone does that reduction follow thru to the contract renewal price for the phone? Example Something like S4 regular price $600/24=$25/mo, contract upgrade price $250. If you have a Framily sale of say $500/24=$20.83/mo does the contract renewal price drop to $250-$100=$150?

To answer to your first paragraph is that pricing is identical because easy pay is no contract so no matter where you sign up its the full price broken up into payments.

2nd paragraphs answer is yes.

3rd paragraph..... right now we do sales one of two ways on easy pay. 1st way is $0 down, example would be iphone 5s normally $99 down 22.92/month but on sale is $0 down and $27.08/month.

2nd way is they lower the full price which then obviously lowers payments.

• Like 1

right now we do sales one of two ways on easy pay. 1st way is $0 down, example would be iphone 5s normally $99 down 22.92/month but on sale is $0 down and $27.08/month.

2nd way is they lower the full price which then obviously lowers payments.

So option 1 isn't really a "sale"? (I get its a promotion and will drive certain types of customers but same cost overall).

Second way, can 3rd party resellers independently (of Sprints prices at the time) drop the phone price lower (and easypay amount) lower than Sprint like they can now? Newboyx indicated the easypay amounts would be the same as Sprints prices.

If resellers can't independently lower price/easypay amounts seems like it would be bad for customers and resellers since customers can't save money thru competition and resellers would lose one of their big differentiators - lower price or giftcards etc?

Edited by chgoguy80

If resellers can't independently lower price/easypay amounts seems like it would be bad for customers and resellers since customers can't save money thru competition and resellers would lose one of their big differentiators - lower price or giftcards etc?

From my (limited) understanding, using sprints easy pay = full price phone (no discounts/sales) divided into monthly payments.

Resellers could theoretically offer lower priced 'full retail' phones, but not through sprints easy pay. In other words you would for example put it on best buy store card, and pay best buy lower monthly payments instead of sprint.

more detailed example, iphone 5s

http://www.sprint.com/landings/iphone/?ECID=SEM:Google:P:2014_Q1_Apple:Apple_iPhone5S_NonBrand:Apple_iPhone5S_Colors_Exact:iphone5s:Exact&gclid=CILvwL-Hnb0CFYY7MgoddycA2g

$0 down, $27.08 times 24 months = $650.16

Theoretically, best buy could offer the iphone 5s for $600 cash. 600 divided by 24 is $25 a month.

Your option at this point use sprint easy pay @$27.08, or pay 600 cash or put on a credit card (best buy or whatever) and pay $25 a month.

right, that is why its theoretical. Current 'replacement device' cost for an iphone 5s from best buy is $699.99.

They (or amazon/etc) could, and may eventually start lowering this price, opening the door to some real competition among phone prices.

I just found out today that if you want to upgrade your phone, they are forcing you into a framily plan. At least that's what the guy told us. Why force people to change to the framily? It doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone know why they are doing this?