This misinformed article is getting a lot of Sprint bashing in the comments

asaini007

Sprint needs to only show that Spark icon when connected to a Band 41 site with upgraded backhaul. Otherwise, Spark is going to have a bad reputation right out the gate.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 18

Agreed. Android Central generally has great reporting, but they don't know much about wireless engineering. Sprint isn't doing themselves any favors by showing the Spark icon for every LTE connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I feel the same way. Someone sitting in a fringe band 25 area and pulling sub 5 mbps speeds with some lag are going to spread poison about how "Spark sux, it is so slow, look!!!1! Sprint always lies lolz"

• Like 3

Sprint needs to only show that Spark icon when connected to a Band 41 site with upgraded backhaul. Otherwise, Spark is going to have a bad reputation right out the gate.

Man you hit the nail right on the head.  The comments and that article are fine.  He went to areas that the public was told would have Spark. He did regular tests.  His phone had the little Spark icon.  It makes perfect sense the reaction people are showing in that situation.  I would imagine a fraction of 1% of Sprint users would know to look at an engineering screen in their phone.

Even Sprint customer service wouldn't know if you called them and asked why it was slower.  

• Like 1

Should we typically see faster speeds on the band 26 vs 25?

Not theoretically. It uses either the same 5x5 carrier or a smaller 3x3 carrier depending on market, so nothing that could make it faster than band 25. What you could see is real world differences in speed based on a higher signal strength than the other band or less crowded than the other band at any given time.

• Like 1

I cannot believe the writer spells his name "Anndrew."  That is an affront to the name.

AJ

• Like 7

Seriously, thats like the most basic of decissions.

Luckily, it can be corrected via software....

• Like 1

Not theoretically. It uses either the same 5x5 carrier or a smaller 3x3 carrier depending on market, so nothing that could make it faster than band 25. What you could see is real world differences in speed based on a higher signal strength than the other band or less crowded than the other band at any given time.

Fantastic,  Thank you for clearing that up. Appreciate it. :)

I think he largely missed the point. The worst result I saw was 1mbps down, he states frequently below 4mbps. At 1mbps I can happily stream 720p video, have a HD chat on skype etc, oh and not pay $10 per GB. All mobile networks will show speed fluctuations with demand, rather than just running speed tests did he at any point actually try and use the phone. I understand the metrics are useful to compare X provider with Y provider but they need to be put into context which in this case means stating that even at its slowest it is still enough to perform most common tasks you are going to perform that would require a decent amount of bandwidth. 80mbps elsewhere will just empty your wallet faster, and for what? So a webpage loads no faster because it is constrained by the SOC in the phone? A pdf might take an extra few seconds to load. Yes downloading an entire HD movie would take longer but if it was say 6GB, I'll take the wait and no huge bill thanks :) 

The points above regarding the spark icon make perfect sense however! I think Sprint do need to be careful not risk associating a new brand image needlessly and inaccurately with slower performance. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe the writer spells his name "Anndrew."  That is an affront to the name.

On a related note, several of the staff are changing the spelling of their names.  Say hello to "Rawburt," "Dayvid," and "Ryeann."

AJ

• Like 6

Sometimes I do wish there was a data cap for that reason, when it effects the tower in the area. 

True, but it may not be such a huge issue in the future with multiple 20x20 lte carriers in the future. I don't tend to shift large files for fun, but I do stream video when I need \ want to because my provider explicitly states I can. I don't do it when I can use wifi and movies tend to be about 2GB. It will be interesting to see how the next generation of network changes what we can do without impacting other people and if providers take the route of supporting more people or giving people more capacity for the same money.

I think perhaps we will see more traffic shaping rather than caps. Unlimited is both a useful marketing tool and a valuable piece of mind to customers, tempering that with some shaping to ensure a decent quality of service would be the logical and fair next step. Maybe folks wanting to download a 6GB mp4 will have to wait (much) longer :) but still have the ability to do so.

It will also be interesting to see how Sprint treats its inhouse and 3rd party MVNO subs, potentially giving priority on certain bands  or throttling (something some of the at&t mvno's do i.e. no lte over 8mbps) etc. IMHO what makes sense on 800mhz doesn't on 2500 where there is greater capacity and again 1900 which is heavily used needs another approach. I think it would be pretty smart for Sprint to take a very flexible approach here. The cable co I worked for allowed completely unlimited, un throttled access on their brand new docsis 3 network then gradually introduced some QOS at peak times for subs on lower level packages in areas with congestion as usage grew. Barring a few people who were against the concept of any kind of throttle and wanted to download a huge amount 24x7 (these were 100\10 connections upgraded for free from a 50\5) it was very well received.    

• Like 1

This is going to be like the whole "4g" icon AT&T uses for 3g/hspa+. It just confuses everyone, and then everyone bashed AT&T for poor "4g" speeds. And it was because of misleading people. Can't blame every misinformed person, But yet the authors should know better before publishing an article

This is going to be like the whole "4g" icon AT&T uses for 3g/hspa+. It just confuses everyone, and then everyone bashed AT&T for poor "4g" speeds. And it was because of misleading people. Can't blame every misinformed person, But yet the authors should know better before publishing an article

No doubt. I use AT&T here in South Dakota. At work, I share a sector with a middle school and high school. It runs at 3-4Mbps, except the 30 minutes before school. And during the three lunch break period. And the two hour period from when the staggered end of the school day for the middle school and high school.

AT&T customers see that stupid 4G icon that confusingly looks like the LTE icon. And are pissed because they think their LTE is running at 100k during those times. And people are complaining they need to go to Verizon. Meanwhile half the Verizon LTE sites drop below 1-2Mbps every evening around here.

This is what life is like with a duopoly. And everyone has to share only two networks. So all those people who hate on Sprint, the other carriers only have decent service because there are competing carriers to help carry the load.

Rawbert

• Like 1

This is what life is like with a duopoly. And everyone has to share only two networks. So all those people who hate on Sprint, the other carriers only have decent service because there are competing carriers to help carry the load.

Rawbert

True :) you forgot that in a real duopoly it would be at least twice the price for the same lackluster service :(

Lol @ the comment saying the Spark icon will drain battery. Does he not know that the screens refresh rate is already at 60fps and battery will drain on a still image or animation? (Aside from phones with GRAM technology.)

Anyways, there's usually always Sprint haters in the comments but surprisingly, there's also a handful of positive comments so it's completely a hit or miss. I think what Sprint is doing is fantastic but the way they market these things are done poorly.

For example, the coverage map represents what the network will look like once it's rolled out completely, not current status and people that do not know that fact will assume Sprint is dishonest and shady.

Same goes for the Spark network. They should not advertise those speeds in NY if they do not have the back haul available. People will take your word on it and they'll be disappointed when your speeds are actually not that high.

I do think Sprints advertised avg speed on LTE makes so much sense. To only promise 6 to 8 Mbps sets low expectations but I can tell you already that I get more than that on LTE in a lot of places. If they start lowering their promises they can likely exceed expectations and make a killer return in the mobile industry.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Sprint shouldn't have even come up with the name Spark, no name is needed, its just another LTE connection on a different set of frequencies. That Spark icon is a big reason we like Nexus devices, less of that junk.

They're starting to sound like the T-Mobile CEO with his immature rants.... well not quite.

A Google engineer said that the data up/down icons in the status bar drain the battery and increase CPU load, so I don't see why the spinning Spark icon wouldn't do the same.

They may, by about 0.00001%, it's a matter of amount. If I pee in the Pacific Ocean it gets deeper,  would you notice?