LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

So what your saying is, Band 41 deployment will be like T-Mobile HSPA+, maybe a tad bit smaller.  :lol:

No, I would say Band 41 will be like T-Mobile's 15MHz/20MHz LTE deployment, but in many more markets and with a denser signal around the markets that it is deployed in.  And then I would say that you will be able to fall back on LTE over almost the entire Sprint network, including the superior penetration of Band 26.  And then I would say that even if you were stuck on a Sprint Rural GMO site working at 1-2Mbps, that would be 10 times the speed of Tmo EDGE.  That's what I'm saying.  :devilangel:

Robert

• Like 7

Yeah, in three years.   But this years goal is 100 million pops.    

100 million POPs of launched coverage.  It is harder for Sprint to launch a Band 41 market.  It's not a bad thing to be in a market with ubiquitous Band 25/26 and 100-200 Band 41 sites fired up.  Even though that would not be worthy of calling it Spark launched.  I'll take some of that action, please.  :fingers:

Robert

• Like 1

What is the real story with Spark and simultaneous voice/data.  I'm getting ready to upgrade to a Spark phone but am hearing updates to allow all 3 bands don't allow simultaneous voice/data, which I must have.  Is it just under certain conditions that are temporary, untrue or is a long term deal.  

Edited by xenophonkc
  • Like 1

What is the real story with Spark and simultaneous voice/data.  I'm getting ready to upgrade to a Spark phone but am hearing updates to allow all 3 bands don't allow simultaneous voice/data, which I must have.

Sprint Triband devices do not support simultaneous voice and data.  If you must have it, you need another provider.  That's the real story, and we have said it 100's of times.

Robert

What is the real story with Spark and simultaneous voice/data.  I'm getting ready to upgrade to a Spark phone but am hearing updates to allow all 3 bands don't allow simultaneous voice/data, which I must have.

All current and reportedly future tri band LTE handsets will be single radio path e/CSFB devices. They will not support SVLTE.

AJ

Sprint says they plan to have 100 Spark markets by the end of the year. Does anybody know which markets those will be?

Sprint has committed to covering 100 million pops not markets. Far fewer than 100 markets can get 100 million pops covered.

Wow, how could have Sprint allowed this.  Huge huge mistake.   Just wow.

Single radio path e/CSFB devices are simpler and better performers. This is not a "huge mistake."

AJ

• Like 2

Wow, how could have Sprint allowed this.  Huge huge mistake.   Just wow.

Most people don't use or need simultaneous voice and data in most instances. 90% of Sprint's user base doesn't expect it since CDMA didn't support it, and neither did Verizon. Verizon is also switching to single-radio devices for the same exact reasons Sprint is, and thus theirs won't support simultaneous voice and data either.

It's not a big deal despite your "the sky is falling" mentality.

• Like 2

If there is no simultaneous voice/data, massively huge mistake when the others can. Is not an "advanced" network w/out it. Astounding if this is the long term plan.

It is what it is. Voice usage is decreasing and millions of dollars to implement a feature fewer people are using every year for such a few number of devices is not worth it. Let those that need it go elsewhere if their requirements are not met.

There will be no simultaneous voice and data on sprint till VoLTE is in full deployment.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Verizon is also switching to single-radio devices for the same exact reasons Sprint is, and thus theirs won't support simultaneous voice and data either.

Where have you read that? VZW currently does dual band LTE handsets with SVLTE. That puts VZW on an island for handset design. Sprint handsets, on the other hand, can now use the same 3GPP designs as AT&T and T-Mobile with few, if any modifications.

AJ

If there is no simultaneous voice/data, massively huge mistake when the others can.  Is not an "advanced" network w/out it.  Astounding if this is the long term plan.

Quit the hyperbole. AT&T and T-Mobile handsets do not do SVLTE either. They use e/CSFB, too. And the long term plan for all is VoLTE.

AJ

• Like 1

Then confused.  ATT/Tmob may not do SVLTE but dont they still allow voice/data, like GSM voice while LTE or HSPA data. The interim tech used doesn't matter, just the capability in the end.

Like I stated, AT&T and T-Mobile use e/CSFB. They fall back to W-CDMA, which supports simultaneous circuit switched voice and packet data. Though if in T-Mobile GSM only coverage, that no longer applies.

If you must have simultaneous voice and data, the Sprint network supports it. Just stick with your Galaxy S3 or get another single band handset until VoLTE becomes available in the next few years. Otherwise, find another provider.

AJ

So can any current Spark phone be put into a single band mode mode that allows voice/data when really needed.  

No. If you want triband capabilities then you will not get it until VoLTE is well established and deployed. No ifs or buts. 

Well to clarify, not triband capabilities live but a triband capable phone that can be put into single band mode.  IE, my SG3 has a setting to do 3G only.   Could maybe a custom ROM allow to force single band or is it fixed in the baseband radio driver.

Edited by xenophonkc

Well to clarify, not triband capabilities live but a triband capable phone that can be put into single band mode. IE, my SG3 has a setting to do 3G only. Could maybe a custom ROM allow to force single band or is it fixed in the baseband radio driver.

You have two options:

1. Stay with a single-band LTE phone.

2. Get a TriBand LTE handset and use a VoIP app like GrooveIP and a Google Voice number and rock out until VoLTE is available.

I use a VoIP app for my iPhone 5 (Tapatalk) and it works very well, as long as I have at least EVDO coverage (which is almost everywhere). This will get much better as B26 LTE (800mhz) comes online due to its excellent propagation.

Well to clarify, not triband capabilities live but a triband capable phone that can be put into single band mode.  IE, my SG3 has a setting to do 3G only.   Could maybe a custom ROM allow to force single band or is it fixed in the baseband radio driver.

No. No. and No.

The only way you will get simultaneous voice + data on any sprint tri-band devices is with volte (or VOIP).

You may want to look into skype/grooveip/vox/viber/etc.

Very disappointing Sprint didn't feel this was a needed feature yet thinks NV is an advanced network.  They should target at least one high end phone to allow for it.

Will try GrooveIP before going to Spark phone.

Edited by xenophonkc

Yup it sucks, especially while streaming in the car or using hotspot functionality when a call comes in, the data session will be suspended.

For all the moaning, there is little to nothing we can do about it other the already explained options.

Android has built-in facilities for setting up SIP providers, you can essentially get VOLTE/VOIP + simultaneous data there too.