Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Any idea when LTE will be turned on here? I'm not sure if my wife would be very thrilled to be on 3G.

Your guess is as good as ours. We have been asking that for a year and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright. Any experience with the towns around Lynchburg? I'm looking for a more reliable service but unfortunately we need unlimited because we use a ton of data. I drive on 81 often, Danville, and the surrounding areas every other week. Also, I commute from Wilmington, nc pretty frequently and I go a good 25 miles with no service with t mobile around Yanceyville, Nc. Thanks guys!

I drive on 81 often, Danville, and the surrounding areas every other week. Also, I commute from Wilmington, nc pretty frequently and I go a good 25 miles with no service with t mobile around Yanceyville, Nc.

Danville is still nTelos and Yanceyville area, according to the service map, is roaming. Check the service map for a "general" idea of coverage, it's usually overblown a bit but better than nothing.

The only carriers I'm aware of with unlimited are T-Mobile which you have and Sprint which doesn't have LTE in the area right now.  (Hopefully soon, but there's no inside information on whether that's just a hope or close to reality.)

When you say "towns around Lynchburg," what do you mean?  I grew up in Charlotte County and US Cellular never let me down.  I would recommend them again in a heartbeat.  The downside is that you would be roaming/3G in Danville/Pittsylvania County and in Raleigh/Durham proper.  And, of course, the complete lack of unlimited. 

Once the nTelos LTE gets turned on for Sprint customers, that might be your ideal choice, but we simply don't know the timeframe on that.

- Trip

What I mean by the town close to Lynchburg is towns like Bedford, concord, and Amherst. My issue yesterday with T mobile was on my trip to Roanoke from Lynchburg. I was roaming or had no service the entire trip. As soon as I get out side the city limits I lost all data. This is on router 460.

U.S. Cellular isn't an option. We spend a lot of time in Pennsylvania and it would be roaming the entire trip. I've been wanting to switch to sprint for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger.

I spent the better part of three years roaming almost nonstop with US Cellular and they didn't seem to care.  (I lived in a part of Tennessee outside the US Cellular footprint, then here in the DC region.)  If you can deal with the 3G-ness of the service, US Cellular didn't care how much roaming I did.  I only switched to Sprint because they were 3G on Verizon at the time, and the Verizon 3G is atrocious.  They now use Sprint, I believe, and Sprint's 3G is very usable.

- Trip

• Like 1

I have next to no roaming issues with sprint all around here with sprint... I work all over va and west virginia as a service tech... I have verizon at work and sprint personally and my sprint phone works as well if not better than my verizon even on 3g... That being said the places you are talking about i do not roam unless i am way out in the the "sticks"

I copied this from r/T-Mobile just to make sure you saw it...

I live in Roanoke. T-mobile does not have a dense netwrok outside of the main, city limits. I used Sprint before and always had some form of 3G (Ntelos towers). I live in the downtown area of Roanoke and don't travel to rural areas very often, so T-mobile works for me (I also like buying unlocked phones and changing them out often)

I think that Sprint is probably going to be a better choice for you. I have a co-worker that lives in the Lynchburg/Bedford area and he always has service in that area. He travels 460 daily and commutes to Bristol, VA as well with no issues.

• Like 1

I copied this from r/T-Mobile just to make sure you saw it...

I live in Roanoke. T-mobile does not have a dense netwrok outside of the main, city limits. I used Sprint before and always had some form of 3G (Ntelos towers). I live in the downtown area of Roanoke and don't travel to rural areas very often, so T-mobile works for me (I also like buying unlocked phones and changing them out often)

I think that Sprint is probably going to be a better choice for you. I have a co-worker that lives in the Lynchburg/Bedford area and he always has service in that area. He travels 460 daily and commutes to Bristol, VA as well with no issues.

Thank you. I am going to go to a Sprint store and play with some phones and see how 3g works here.

Edited by S4GRU
Fixed quote error

Some of are on Ntelos the wholesale provider for Sprint in the Area. Ntelos has LTE in some parts of the area. But sprint cant access them right now. They offer unlimited but we cant access Sprints LTE network. Good Luck!

My profile updated on its own just now. Turned off the WiFi in hopes of good news but just 3g. Now I don't know if this means anything but I opened signal check and it had n/a for provider where it normally says ntelos. Turn on and off airplane mode and same thing. Food for thought.

Here in nTelos-land, I can't predict whether I'll be on 1xRTT or EVDO when traveling along the very same commute. Occasionally, I can toggle mobile data off-on, and it MAY switch, but not always.

Is this a response to load, or something else? Just trying to understand - it fills the time till the upgrade happens. :-)

TIA

David

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

I know off topic of LTE however has anyone on ntelos land got information about the release date of the S6 for Ntelos?

I don't think they got the S5 until almost Fall or some time at the end of summer. So probably the same with the 6 I would assume.

Was in Harrisonburg yesterday for something, and really enjoyed Shentel's LTE service there.  The handoff from nTelos-land to Shentel was seamless - barely a hiccup in my music streaming on I-81.  However, going home was a completely different story!! Upon leaving Shentel's area around Weyers Cave, I dropped signal altogether.  I tried toggling Mobile Data off/on several times, airplane mode several times, etc.  No dice.  Had the No CDMA service indication.  Finally rebooted my phone around Waynesboro, and it finally got back on nTelos.

Not sure if this reflects on the network or my M9, but it was quite disappointing.  *sigh*

• Like 1

Make sure you go into the settings on mobile networks and turn on allow roaming data or make sure that that is enabled for running if you have an unlimited plan considering the fact that it's unlimited you have roaming data as part of the service

I never had that issue when in the Weyers Cave area. The only problem I have in the Weyers Cave area is it keeps switching between ntelos and Sprint 1x800. That is seriously annoying.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

Was in Harrisonburg yesterday for something, and really enjoyed Shentel's LTE service there.  The handoff from nTelos-land to Shentel was seamless - barely a hiccup in my music streaming on I-81.  However, going home was a completely different story!! Upon leaving Shentel's area around Weyers Cave, I dropped signal altogether.  I tried toggling Mobile Data off/on several times, airplane mode several times, etc.  No dice.  Had the No CDMA service indication.  Finally rebooted my phone around Waynesboro, and it finally got back on nTelos.

Not sure if this reflects on the network or my M9, but it was quite disappointing.  *sigh*

You should probably update your devices. It still says you're using an M7.