Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

There have been no reports here of nTelos broadcasting anything but 1900. Your post stated 700 and that it was not NV compliant which was one of the criteria set by Sprint under the agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it is running on 1900, then that is the only spectrum that will be broadcast for Sprint Users in the nTelos area.

I was going off of, This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

About where are you located?

I'm looking up at the FCC licenses and note that 698-704 belongs to USCC in most of Virginia and the rest of the 700 allocations belong to Att or Verizon (band 17/13). Ntelos has a full 30 mhz pcs band 2 allocation and 20 MHz AWS Band 4. They also have some short term spectrum leases from sprint for PCS, smr, and ebs/Brs.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Edit: Saw it's Roanoke and yeah looks like USCC owns the 700 mhz Spectrum there. Maybe he was talking about a roaming agreement with USCC Band 12 700 mhz?

• Like 1

According to him NV isn't coming for a long time, I mentioned the agreement at first which led to him saying that comment. This is news from a guy he is buddy buddy with so I'm not trying to get him or I in trouble. We were simply talking about 700mhz spectrum because this is what I assumed nTelos owned from that wiki article I had read. So he made no mention of 700mhz spectrum at all from the get go.

As far as I know, he's not a very technical guy, just a sprint guy. I asked him for dates, he couldn't supply. But this was information regarding the LTE coming to SW VA from a guy higher than your standard store representative or managers etc. 

• Like 1

So, I'm hearing conflicting info here, which just adds to my frustration. Any legitimate classifications will be welcomed! (Especially pertaining to timing)

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

Last I heart about CCA no Sprint phone was compliant with it.

This really isn't anything new just more smoke and mirrors from a Sprint representative. I wouldn't be surprised if Marcello himself was as clueless on nTelos agreement as we were and what all is going on. It's probably not going to happen until 2017 on their deadline still unfinished but launched to prevent the fall of nTelos.

Last I heart about CCA no Sprint phone was compliant with it.

This really isn't anything new just more smoke and mirrors from a Sprint representative. I wouldn't be surprised if Marcello himself was as clueless on nTelos agreement as we were and what all is going on. It's probably not going to happen until 2017 on their deadline still unfinished but launched to prevent the fall of nTelos.

Plenty of phones are fully CCA compatible and has been for the longest time. 

• Like 2

Driving up to Pittsburgh, PA from Johnson City, TN this weekend.  Looks like 85%+ of this drive is going to be in nTelos land... wish me luck :/  Last time I was up in SWVA the service was insanely bad.

Driving up to Pittsburgh, PA from Johnson City, TN this weekend. Looks like 85%+ of this drive is going to be in nTelos land... wish me luck :/ Last time I was up in SWVA the service was insanely bad.

Thanks for reminding us.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driving up to Pittsburgh, PA from Johnson City, TN this weekend.  Looks like 85%+ of this drive is going to be in nTelos land... wish me luck :/  Last time I was up in SWVA the service was insanely bad.

It's not 85%, once you leave wytheville until you get to around harrisonburg. 

It will go Sprint, Ntelos, and Shentel so it won't be that awful. 

It's not 85%, once you leave wytheville until you get to around harrisonburg. 

It will go Sprint, Ntelos, and Shentel so it won't be that awful. 

If I wanted to take an extra 1-2 hours to get to Pittsburgh, I would be passing through Harrisonburg.  The fastest route is to go through WV.

• Like 1

Alright I got some good news everyone. Apparently after my talk the other day with the higher up we have been provided a direct email address to get some quick and compliant answers. I just sent off the email so as soon as I receive an update, i'll be updating you as well. I apologize, I'm not trying to "smoke and mirrors" Just trying to get new information and make myself as intelligent on the subject as I can be, while corresponding to you all what ever I may know in a timely fashion. As I work for Sprint, i usually see and hear things first.

• Like 6

What app for android app do I need to screen shot what LTE band I am on now?

Engineering screens are the only way to be certain, since that data is not exported to public Android APIs, although most of the apps out there (SCP, LTE Discovery, my crapola app) have heuristics that can make pretty good guesses for existing networks based on patterns observed in the field.

(I say this because nTelos' LTE rollout for Sprint customers may not fit the established patterns for cell IDs, particularly if it includes access to towers that nTelos has upgraded using the different equipment from that Sprint and Shentel use. So the apps may work, but they may not.)

• Like 1

Just confirmed LTE Launch in nTelos land this Fall. That's really all I believe I can say.

Is that specifically for the Roanoke area, or maybe broader in nTelos-land??

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

Just confirmed LTE Launch in nTelos land this Fall. That's really all I believe I can say.

What is your source? Sorry I've heard so many false statements regarding this.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1