Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

nTelos is special. Trip figured out they use decimal instead of hex to signal B26 and second carrier. Hex 21 = dec 33

UPdownLoAD posted some engineering shots earlier of second carrier. Not sure if it is the same freq though. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7105-ntelos-tracking/?p=443523

It's amusing, but nTelos actually appears to use the same style numbering system Verizon does (except B41). 

01/02/03 Verizon 700/nTelos PCS G-block

0C/16/20 Verizon AWS/nTelos 800

0D/17/21 Verizon (reserved? never actually seen it live)/nTelos PCS 2nd carrier

0E/18/22 Verizon PCS

- Trip

• Like 3

It's amusing, but nTelos actually appears to use the same style numbering system Verizon does (except B41). 

01/02/03 Verizon 700/nTelos PCS G-block

0C/16/20 Verizon AWS/nTelos 800

0D/17/21 Verizon (reserved? never actually seen it live)/nTelos PCS 2nd carrier

0E/18/22 Verizon PCS

- Trip

What are the odds that Shentel will redo this?

What are the odds that Shentel will redo this?

I have absolutely no inside information, but I would assume they will redo it to match their existing deployments.  I can't wait.

I just hope that if they do, they keep the convenient ID schemes we've figured out for nTelos, like having CDMA/LTE BSID/GCI data line up as it does.

- Trip

• Like 1

I have absolutely no inside information, but I would assume they will redo it to match their existing deployments.  I can't wait.

I just hope that if they do, they keep the convenient ID schemes we've figured out for nTelos, like having CDMA/LTE BSID/GCI data line up as it does.

- Trip

I agree.  I figure it will change as they touch each site.  Exciting times ahead for this area (premier users.)  The last will be first, at least in some areas.

- Trip

Does anybody know where the Core Switch is located for the new LTE that nTelos has been activating? 

Would that core equipment be decommissioned and all the nTelos sites be rerouted onto the existing Shentel Core?

OR, would maintaining the existing nTelos Core be sensible for redundancy?

I'm headed to Holiday Lake 4-H camp near Appomattox on Friday. It appears I'll be in roaming coverage there (per Sprint map), but was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with that area, especially recently. Also, if anyone knows if they have Wifi there, that would be helpful. Maybe I could at least make calls with that if the cellular coverage is terrible. Thanks.

I'm headed to Holiday Lake 4-H camp near Appomattox on Friday. It appears I'll be in roaming coverage there (per Sprint map), but was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with that area, especially recently. Also, if anyone knows if they have Wifi there, that would be helpful. Maybe I could at least make calls with that if the cellular coverage is terrible. Thanks.

As far as I know, AT&T is the only carrier with a site near there, and even that one isn't so terribly close.  Verizon and US Cellular 1X service will be coming from towers near US-60 or US-460.  (Or perhaps US-15.)  The nearest native service from Sprint or nTelos will be coming from US-460 and likely will not make the trip.

No first-hand experience, so no idea for sure, and no idea about WiFi (though the website seems to imply it's "available" which could mean anything, really).

- Trip

• Like 1

Totally unrelated to our market but the LTE at Short Pump was great. First time I really paid attention and saw I was on a Clearwire 41 site. Speeds were a consistent 60mbps+. On the other hand Zions Crossroads is still 3G all the way to Goochland

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Southern Virginia market and its five whole counties didn't get rolled into the Shentel purchase.  It would have put Louisa County into the Shentel market.

But, alas, we're still waiting for Sprint to fill that gap.  I was hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised driving through Zion Crossroads today, but from the above comments, I'm going to prepare for disappointment.

- Trip

• Like 1

Just came back from a quick trip to Buckingham after I passed New Canton I picked up U.S. Cellular roaming LTE. Last time I was through there it wasn't working. Honestly you would burn up your roaming data in a matter of minutes but better than 1X! SCP didn't know what provider it was. I do know it is USCC though. post-61131-145323379376_thumb.png

• Like 2

Do you have your SCP logger running? If so, any chance of sending the log dump my way? :)

- Trip

I didn't have it on! It is on now so the next time I head out that way I'll have it.

I'm sure you know the answer to this question, is it normal for SCP to not know a provider or display an incorrect one? When I first looked it didn't say anything and somthing out unknown PLMN and then I saw nTelos band 25. I was nowhere near nTelos coverage so I know this couldn't be right.

I didn't have it on! It is on now so the next time I head out that way I'll have it.

I'm sure you know the answer to this question, is it normal for SCP to not know a provider or display an incorrect one? When I first looked it didn't say anything and somthing out unknown PLMN and then I saw nTelos band 25. I was nowhere near nTelos coverage so I know this couldn't be right.

Make sure location services are enabled in SCP too.  :)

I'm really curious to see if US Cellular's GCI matches up in any way to its site ID numbering system.  So far, I've been unable to see even a single US Cellular GCI to even have a guess.

If you were north of New Canton, you were getting close to the Carysbrook site by the school, but there's no nTelos LTE there yet.  (Just north of the school, though, I hopped onto one of the sites from the lake, and then the site at Troy has LTE.)  If you were south of New Canton, then definitely in US Cellular territory.  I'm not sure how much data, if any, Mike has about US Cellular, so it's entirely possible that SCP doesn't actually know the provider name in those cases. 

- Trip

Make sure location services are enabled in SCP too. :)

I'm really curious to see if US Cellular's GCI matches up in any way to its site ID numbering system. So far, I've been unable to see even a single US Cellular GCI to even have a guess.

If you were north of New Canton, you were getting close to the Carysbrook site by the school, but there's no nTelos LTE there yet. (Just north of the school, though, I hopped onto one of the sites from the lake, and then the site at Troy has LTE.) If you were south of New Canton, then definitely in US Cellular territory. I'm not sure how much data, if any, Mike has about US Cellular, so it's entirely possible that SCP doesn't actually know the provider name in those cases.

- Trip

I was a good ways past the Central Plains nTelos site. I'm assuming that is the last one broadcasting since that barely covers the town of Fork Union. My iPhone would lose service right as you are passing the pharmacy and stores but my galaxy hung on until I got to the bridge crossing the James.

Do you travel 15 frequently?

I was a good ways past the Central Plains nTelos site. I'm assuming that is the last one broadcasting since that barely covers the town of Fork Union. My iPhone would lose service right as you are passing the pharmacy and stores but my galaxy hung on until I got to the bridge crossing the James.

Do you travel 15 frequently?

Pretty frequently.  I live in Alexandria and my parents live in "the void" (Charlotte County) and so whenever I go to visit, it's down 15.  Visited over the weekend, actually.  I know where every Sprint, nTelos, and US Cellular tower is along the way by memory at this point.

I have an S5 so it doesn't have Band 5, needed for any US Cellular LTE in Buckingham, Prince Edward, and Charlotte Counties.  But my sister's Nexus 5X doesn't pick up the Band 5 LTE either, so who knows. 

- Trip

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Southern Virginia market and its five whole counties didn't get rolled into the Shentel purchase.  It would have put Louisa County into the Shentel market.

But, alas, we're still waiting for Sprint to fill that gap.  I was hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised driving through Zion Crossroads today, but from the above comments, I'm going to prepare for disappointment.

- Trip

I thought Sprint had their own towers in Louisa County.

I thought Sprint had their own towers in Louisa County.

They do, but most of them still do not have LTE, including the one at Zion and, apparently, a number of them along I-64.

And 15 in Louisa County between Zion and Gordonsville is a virtual void.  1X 800 for as long as it lasts and then US Cellular or Verizon roaming until the nTelos EV-DO picks up in Gordonsville...

- Trip

• Like 1

Sponsors and above: new info on  Shentel nTelos buyout and spectrum: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7395-west-virginia-sprint-sponsor-map-spreadsheet/&do=findComment&comment=465862

Please make any comments or post any questions in the West Virginia Market Sponsor Thread.

Lost my LTE in Beckley this morning. :( Must be doing tower work?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Down at Lake Monticello and the downtown end of Charlottesville. Anybody got any ideas?

Can't connect in Wytheville either but my phone still sees it in lte only. Say "Deregistered Sub" in *#0011#. It must be a recent site software update that removed Sprint users. I will keep an eye on it today but I don't have high hopes. I reported it once to sprint zone. If it is still out when I get to Morgantown I will report it again.

Can't connect in Wytheville either but my phone still sees it in lte only. Say "Deregistered Sub" in *#0011#. It must be a recent site software update that removed Sprint users. I will keep an eye on it today but I don't have high hopes. I reported it once to sprint zone. If it is still out when I get to Morgantown I will report it again.

I am back to having the issue of dropping to 1X since we cant authenticate. Wonder what happened...