Supporting article: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/06/4461371/international-expansion-for-sprint.html

If SoftBank/Sprint were to expand into Canada and Mexico, and offer Unlimited Roaming Data, with a an industry first Transnational voice+text+data Plan, wouldn't that be the most amazing thing ever?

What would those specifics be? Isn't there still a CDMA1x network still in operation in Canada? Couldn't Sprint buy out that network?

Rundown of Canadian Wireless Industry = Not Good - http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6803/125/

And in Mexico, a CDMA1x/EV-DO carrier is still active, with an iDEN network as well...

The 2.5Ghz frequency is has been open for business in Mexico for quite some time... Will Sprint buy that too? It it available for telecom use in Canada?

My post is not well thought out. I don't want to take the time to research compatible frequencies.

So help me out. I have the idea, now as a community, help build out this transnational vision!

Edited by EmeraldReporter

It would be even more exciting to me if my Sprint phone had service at my dad's house in western Iowa.

If you're not going to add to the discussion, then don't reply.

It's all about backhaul, and if you're to narrow-minded to understand that, then go to AT&T and get capped.

• Like 4

If you're not going to add to the discussion, then don't reply.

It's all about backhaul, and if you're to narrow-minded to understand that, then go to AT&T and get capped.

I think the point is - Sprint is/should be more focused on one market before it considers moving to other international markets.

It seems more realistic that Softbank would take the lead on any other international ventures and allow free roaming between various global networks.

Sprint's current network needs to be fixed before they can consider expanding within the USA, let alone in Canada or Mexico.

• Like 6

That is exactly it. Sprint has too much to focus on domestically to get to where they need to be. I know they have a lot of backing now with Softbank, but that isn't enough in the grand scheme of things if you want a true top to bottom top tier future proof network from coast to coast in this country. If Sprint was already NV 3.0 complete with nationwide triband LTE-A and anyone from downtown Miami to the middle of a Nebraskan cornfield could pull a consistent 3-6 bar signal and 50 mbps down data, I'd say it would be a good time to expand outside the borders.

• Like 4

That is exactly it. Sprint has too much to focus on domestically to get to where they need to be. I know they have a lot of backing now with Softbank, but that isn't enough in the grand scheme of things if you want a true top to bottom top tier future proof network from coast to coast in this country. If Sprint was already NV 3.0 complete with nationwide triband LTE-A and anyone from downtown Miami to the middle of a Nebraskan cornfield could pull a consistent 3-6 bar signal and 50 mbps down data, I'd say it would be a good time to expand outside the borders.

That is all you needed to say. Thank you.

Now, forgetting the current situation, can we figure out how this will be possible? (2 years from now?)

That is all you needed to say. Thank you.

Now, forgetting the current situation, can we figure out how this will be possible? (2 years from now?)

From NII holdings pages:

3G Capabilities

In 2009, NII evolved its business by developing 3G capabilities that allowed the company to provide additional wireless services to more customers in more places. To date, a great deal of progress has been made on the company’s 3G network deployment.

In Chile, NII and its subsidiary, Nextel Chile, secured 60MHz of 3G spectrum in 2009. As a result, the company began to develop a 3G network and launched its 3G network.

In Mexico, NII was awarded the concession for 30MHz spectrum in the 2010 auction. This new spectrum supported a 3G network that has enabled Nextel Mexico to bring more services and options to the Mexican wireless market. The company deployed a 3G network in Mexico last year.

In late 2010, NII was the winning bidder of a national 3G license and is moving forward with the deployment of the 3G network in Brazil and targeting a commercial launch this year.

http://www.nii.com/technology.html

That covers Mexico, Brazil and Chile. I believe Wind in Canada is available although they are an AWS carrier.

I disagree. There will always be a new network tech on the horizon. Network upkeep and modernization is a never ending process, something that Sprint learned in very painful terms.

If the numbers work out then expansion into Mexico and Canada could be on the table. It would be awesome if it was part of a SoftBank Global data strategy.

• Like 2

I disagree. There will always be a new network tech on the horizon. Network upkeep and modernization is a never ending process, something that Sprint learned in very painful terms.

If the numbers work out then expansion into Mexico and Canada could be on the table. It would be awesome if it was part of a SoftBank Global data strategy.

Yes but at the same time I have always heard the saying "Don't bite off more than you can chew".  Even if lets say that they can get the numbers to work with Canada, Sprint already more than their hands full with Network Vision with still needing to deploy LTE nationwide and now on top of that adding CDMA 800, LTE 800 and LTE 2600 nationwide and not to mention the small cell deployment that is going to occur as well.  Whether we like it or not, Network Vision is way behind schedule and I know its not all Sprint's fault since vendor execution and bureaucratic BS are other key factors for the project delay but Sprint needs to focus on trying to find ways to make up ground.  That mid 2014 completion time frame for Network Vision that Sprint put out in their CC, ain't going to happen since the scope of the project just got a whole lot larger once Softbank took over.

I just don't think the timing is there right now for Sprint to begin exploring international ventures.  Sprint needs to focus on revitalizing their brand and make customers believe in Sprint again. Right now Sprint still has a large stigma of being the slowest carrier of all the major carriers and Sprint needs to find new ways to capture those former Sprint customers and new customers.

Yes but at the same time I have always heard the saying "Don't bite off more than you can chew".  Even if lets say that they can get the numbers to work with Canada, Sprint already more than their hands full with Network Vision with still needing to deploy LTE nationwide and now on top of that adding CDMA 800, LTE 800 and LTE 2600 nationwide and not to mention the small cell deployment that is going to occur as well.  Whether we like it or not, Network Vision is way behind schedule and I know its not all Sprint's fault since vendor execution and bureaucratic BS are other key factors for the project delay but Sprint needs to focus on trying to find ways to make up ground.  That mid 2014 completion time frame for Network Vision that Sprint put out in their CC, ain't going to happen since the scope of the project just got a whole lot larger once Softbank took over.

I just don't think the timing is there right now for Sprint to begin exploring international ventures.  Sprint needs to focus on revitalizing their brand and make customers believe in Sprint again. Right now Sprint still has a large stigma of being the slowest carrier of all the major carriers and Sprint needs to find new ways to capture those former Sprint customers and new customers.

Ehh. Different markets different vendors. Additionally, the administrative portion may not even be assigned to Sprint. We need to stop with the US centric view and take a much more global view in light of Softbanks ownership.

• Like 1

Ehh. Different markets different vendors. Additionally, the administrative portion may not even be assigned to Sprint. We need to stop with the US centric view and take a much more global view in light of Softbanks ownership.

Ehh I don't necessarily agree that Sprint needs to have a global view presence.  Again all I am saying is that right now is not the best time to expand and venture into international markets.  You said it best, different markets and different vendors BUT I must add also DIFFERENT rules and regulations.  Sprint doesn't have the bandwidth at this point to start thinking about what it takes to enter or own a cell phone provider in another country.  While Softbank has some expertise in that by buying into Sprint, each country is different.

I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of work and preparation it takes prior to making a bid to enter into the wireless industry in another country.  You are only thinking about the economics which I must say that even though Sprint is more flushed with cash with Softbank, Sprint still has a ton of debt that they need to get rid of and post a positive quarter for once.  20+ straight quarters of losses do not cut it.  So I wouldn't assume that Sprint has any free money to just play with if its not putting it back into improving the network.  Once we see a couple positive quarters for Sprint and once Sprint has entered NV 3.0, then we can start talking about other business ventures.

Once we see a couple positive quarters for Sprint and once Sprint has entered NV 3.0, then we can start talking about other business ventures.

Time is of the essence though spectrum is up for grabs now. In Canada and Mexico. 700MHz up north, and 2.5mhz, + others down south.

Imagine. Unlimited International Data roaming. For those of us who work crossing borders constantly... (Not me)

Ehh I don't necessarily agree that Sprint needs to have a global view presence.  Again all I am saying is that right now is not the best time to expand and venture into international markets.  You said it best, different markets and different vendors BUT I must add also DIFFERENT rules and regulations.  Sprint doesn't have the bandwidth at this point to start thinking about what it takes to enter or own a cell phone provider in another country.  While Softbank has some expertise in that by buying into Sprint, each country is different.

I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of work and preparation it takes prior to making a bid to enter into the wireless industry in another country.  You are only thinking about the economics which I must say that even though Sprint is more flushed with cash with Softbank, Sprint still has a ton of debt that they need to get rid of and post a positive quarter for once.  20+ straight quarters of losses do not cut it.  So I wouldn't assume that Sprint has any free money to just play with if its not putting it back into improving the network.  Once we see a couple positive quarters for Sprint and once Sprint has entered NV 3.0, then we can start talking about other business ventures.

This is not going to be run by Sprint. This will be SoftBank's baby and it will not be distracting to Sprint. From what I understand there will be increased crew availability as the two major Carriers wind up their deployments. Sprint will be OK by middle of 2014.

• Like 1

You are still thinking locally rather than globally.  Any international expansion may be handled by Softbank and not Sprint. Additionally, Sprints bandwidth holdings have nothing to do with international expansion AND if the numbers are right includes the cost of entering said markets. It may not make sense for Sprint to enter Mexico and/or Canada but it may make sense for Softbank to do it.

• Like 1

If softbanks runs with something like that, it doesn't matter what the name is. What matters is the network synergy that is created/maintained across the regions.

• Like 1

If softbanks runs with something like that, it doesn't matter what the name is. What matters is the network synergy that is created/maintained across the regions.

So what frequencies are available to merge?

1900 is a given.

And maybe (with Mexico) 2.5Ghz....

What else? 700Mhz in Canada, and they take their roaming parters assets to make it interoperable with the U.S.? Or is it that the way they're set up, with A block, B Block, and the inverted C block; it's just all frakked up?

Once we see a couple positive quarters for Sprint and once Sprint has entered NV 3.0, then we can start talking about other business ventures.

What do you mean by NV 3.0? 600 MHz and PCS H? Expansion of the native footprint? Acquisition and integration of nTelos or USCC?

What do you mean by NV 3.0? 600 MHz and PCS H? Expansion of the native footprint? Acquisition and integration of nTelos or USCC?

Who knows if Sprint will actually have a NV 3.0 but the point is that Sprint needs to focus on NV 1.0 and 2.0 first as well as look at new spectrum such as PCS H and 600 MHz.

It was obvious for Softbank to bid on Sprint because they wanted the vast 2.5 GHz spectrum holdings and the potential it can be used to provide an insane LTE network but what is the motivation for entering Canada? Is it to try to offer a lower cost option of Canadian cell phone service for Canadian citizens?

My idea stems from the thought that international roaming can be fixed by having one transnational telecom carrier.

That is the idea. Unlimited Data Roaming.

I myself travel to Mexico and Canada a couple times a year, so it's important to me. $120 dollars for 800MB of data, is proposterous.

So I would very much like a transnational plan. Even if I only use it a couple times. It would be nice to have a continental cellular network.

I mean, don't they do this in Europe? Or do they have roaming too?

My idea stems from the thought that international roaming can be fixed by having one transnational telecom carrier.

That is the idea. Unlimited Data Roaming.

I myself travel to Mexico and Canada a couple times a year, so it's important to me. $120 dollars for 800MB of data, is proposterous.

So I would very much like a transnational plan. Even if I only use it a couple times. It would be nice to have a continental cellular network.

I mean, don't they do this in Europe? Or do they have roaming too?

Yeah all I can say is good luck with that dream.  Unlimited data roaming is pretty nuts.

It was obvious for Softbank to bid on Sprint because they wanted the vast 2.5 GHz spectrum holdings but what is the motivation for entering Canada?  Is it to try to offer a lower cost option of Canadian cell phone service for Canadian citizens?

Masayoshi-san has stated that he wants/plans to own the number 1 mobile telephony company in the world.  Canadian mobile service is expensive and technologically lagging, so might represent a good opportunity.  We don't really know what other financial resources are available to Softbank, but Mr. Son seems rather adept at raising money.  Finally, and a non sequitur to the above, what advantage would the Sprint name offer in Canada?  It would have poor recognition, and quite frankly, those who do recognize it would probably see it as a fractured brand.  Just my $0.02.

• Like 1

As for Sprint going for Canada or Mexico, everyone here seems to be thinking like all the NV teams from New Mexico to Nebraska would be forced to stop work and head north if Sprint did choose to expand there. The US is already moving at maximum speed, and there's no reason a separate unrelated build out couldn't happen simultaneously in Canada. Soft Bank can multi-task just fine I reckon.

Whether or not they have any desire to is a totally different question.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1