How does 4G coverage compare to Evdo / 1x

Lets say its a new tower in a new area...does that same tower broadcast 3g as well as LTE

I was driving through an area I know just had a tower go live, I think about 2 weeks ago...speed was ehhhh for LTE...4-10, certainly not pushing 20 like some have said....

anyway, after i left the tower, it kicked down to 3g, and still was showing a strong 1-2, i say strong because usually out here in utah, its around .05-.50....  I am excited if it goes to .50-1.25

so are they upgrading the 3g as well??? to maybe fill gaps....and does it have a wider range.....say 2 mile circle vs 1.5 mile for LTE....those numbers are just made up distance wise....

LTE is as fragile as a day old baby

That's not necessarily the case, however LTE on 1900mhz is fickle about permiating indoors.

To answer the OP question each technology (4G/3G/CDMA) is separately remotely adjustable on each of Sprints sector antennas; thus coverage radius may vary accordingly. Also if your standing at the bottom of the site running a speed test you may as well be kicking tires, most sweetspots are 1/4-1/2 mile away from the sector (for testing.)

That's not necessarily the case, however LTE on 1900mhz is fickle about permiating indoors.

To answer the OP question each technology (4G/3G/CDMA) is separately remotely adjustable on each of Sprints sector antennas; thus coverage radius may vary accordingly. Also if your standing at the bottom of the site running a speed test you may as well be kicking tires, most sweetspots are 1/4-1/2 mile away from the sector (for testing.)

LTE 800 hopefully will fix that here lol

If you have LTE on 1900mhz at your doorstep, but not inside your home LTE on 800 will solve your problem.

I know. I get about 80-96 800SMR inside. I connect to LTE mostly at night lol.. Hopefully LTE will be the same or closer than 115 lol

• Like 1

I'm house/dog sitting at a friend of mines house and outside I get LTE around 2-3 bars but inside stuck on 3G. He's on Verizon and struggles to keep an LTE signal inside so I don't feel too bad, 800 should fix this as there is a tower two blocks away. But without a doubt a LTE signal is fragile and doesn't penetrate as far.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

LTE reaches further than EvDo but LTE is more fragile.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

No and yes.  Both signals travel an infinite distance from their sources, decreasing in strength all the way, until they eventually become too weak to be demodulated by a receiver.  LTE signals will have exactly the same strength as CDMA signals sent from the same location on the same frequency with the same radio output power.

LTE does have a substantially more fragile structure, both due to the complexity of the modulation and the fact that LTE (as with GSM) cannot function correctly with a negative signal to noise ratio, while CDMA can.  This has always been one of the biggest advantages CDMA had for coverage in RF-difficult areas.

If you have LTE on 1900mhz at your doorstep, but not inside your home LTE on 800 will solve your problem.

And what if you have LTE when you're upstairs, but not downstairs or in your front yard?

• Like 1

And what if you have LTE when you're upstairs, but not downstairs or in your front yard?

Depends.  Because on the second floor, you could be Line of Sight to a very distant tower.  If you had LTE 800 on that same tower, it still may not be enough to get through all the ground clutter down low.  There are just way too many variables to answer your question without a lot more data.

Robert

• Like 2

I'd be glad to give all the data I can. I'm listed on Sprint's coverage map as "Best" coverage for 4G LTE, and there are two towers near less than 5 miles from me that are NV accepted 3G/4G. Flat lands all around, and not a lot of tree coverage.

I am hoping it is just my EVOLTE being really really bad, but I lose the LTE when I get just about 2 miles from the live site in Myrtle Beach... I was able to map a solid 2 mile circle around it -- then nothing (it drops off around -125).  So basically with this EVO I will have little two mile radius islands of LTE when the light up more towers (I am going to eventually get my wife's GS4 out there and play with it to see how far I can make it away from the tower)...

• Like 1

I am hoping it is just my EVOLTE being really really bad, but I lose the LTE when I get just about 2 miles from the live site in Myrtle Beach... I was able to map a solid 2 mile circle around it -- then nothing (it drops off around -125).  So basically with this EVO I will have little two mile radius islands of LTE when the light up more towers (I am going to eventually get my wife's GS4 out there and play with it to see how far I can make it away from the tower)...

The EVO LTE has been noted many times and in many places for poor LTE reception and in fact relatively poor RF performance in general, especially for a high end device.

• Like 1

We know the EVO LTE sucks in terms of reception and LTE performance in general, but I don't know that two miles is necessarily an unusually small coverage area for a cell, depending on downtilt and the topography of the area. 

We know the EVO LTE sucks in terms of reception and LTE performance in general, but I don't know that two miles is necessarily an unusually small coverage area for a cell, depending on downtilt and the topography of the area.

That is my concern, with tower spacing of 5 - 10 miles... What good is a two mile radius of LTE.. Especially when mobile?

That is my concern, with tower spacing of 5 - 10 miles... What good is a two mile radius of LTE.. Especially when mobile?

I don't think that is the standard coverage bubble so to speak, perhaps the site still needs to be optimized?

That's the spacing used on highway corridors and rural areas, around metro areas spacing is often 1-3 miles.  In NYC the average site is under 1/4 mile from the adjacent site. 

That's the spacing used on highway corridors and rural areas, around metro areas spacing is often 1-3 miles.  In NYC the average site is under 1/4 mile from the adjacent site. 

I'd say that in NYC, tower spacing can be even closer than that at times.

Myrtle beach is not exactly urban... They are more densely laid out in the higher population areas, but as you said the more rural areas are spread out pretty far. This site in question is kinda in the middle.. Not the 10 mile variety but a good 5 or so miles from the nearby sites. I hope it is an issue with optimization or simply my EVOLTE...

Myrtle beach is not exactly urban... They are more densely laid out in the higher population areas, but as you said the more rural areas are spread out pretty far. This site in question is kinda in the middle.. Not the 10 mile variety but a good 5 or so miles from the nearby sites. I hope it is an issue with optimization or simply my EVOLTE...

It's probably not your EVO. I notice that my EVO lets go of a signal when it just about becomes unusable, even for a device witha great signal like an Galaxy Note 2. I will often drop to 3G in my home with 1 bar and my dad's Note will hold on to LTE, but I will still get greater speeds than him on 3G than he does with LTE. Having a great radio can be a burden!