Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

since the evo lte will be gettting 4.3, I should be fine in case I have to use that device if i was to break my N5 (knock on wood).

No, to knock on wood, you need to go with the LG G2 instead.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4099-lg-g2-the-first-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset-was-lg-optimus-g2/?p=219620

AJ

• Like 1

Wouldn't that be more like knocking on Gorilla Glass?

Wouldn't that be more like knocking on Gorilla Glass?

The "knock on" part refers to the LG G2 feature. The "wood" part refers to the reaction that many phone nerds get.

AJ

• Like 1

It is a shame the back of the phone isn't as sexy as the nexus 4 and the bezels not as small as the -g2

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The Nexus 5's back supposedly feels like the Nexus 7's, which is generally liked:

AnandTech:

You definitely don't get the premium aluminum feel of the iPad mini, but the device doesn't feel cheap either. The new Nexus 7 is still nice enough that I'm nervous about scratching or scuffing the back.

The Verge:

[The back is] soft to the touch and much nicer to hold than some of the glossy, plastic backs on devices like the Galaxy Tab 3.

Engadget:

Its matte back at least offers a good grip while staying (mostly) immune to fingerprints. Always a plus.

It doesn't seem to be the type of material that photographs well, but I'm not worried.

The "knock on" part refers to the LG G2 feature. The "wood" part refers to the reaction that many phone nerds get.AJ

I must have phone impotence, then.

Via https://twitter.com/autoprime4G/status/389643824655794176

"It's looking like Sprint will offer the Nexus 5 instead of CDMA users going through the Play Store. Still no signs of Verizon jumping in."

Not sure how this would work - maybe website and/or telesales exclusive? I can't imagine they would want to cannibalize G2 sales.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  I guess this is really how I assumed it would be, but with every day got a little more confident that we were on the verge of a major shift to a more GSM type model, even if only for a limited number of models.

I'm just hoping it's wrong, but really, it's been odds on that this is the way it'd be from the start.

Does make me rethink getting it though.  Hopefully we don't have too long to wait to get some actual concrete answers, regardless of which way it goes.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I guess this is really how I assumed it would be, but with every day got a little more confident that we were on the verge of a major shift to a more GSM type model, even if only for a limited number of models.

I'm just hoping it's wrong, but really, it's been odds on that this is the way it'd be from the start.

Does make me rethink getting it though. Hopefully we don't have too long to wait to get some actual concrete answers, regardless of which way it goes.

until autoprime gives us a source this is just more rumor and speculation.

I want to wake up tomorrow morning and it is officially announced by Google that they are the only sellers of the Nexus 5 and it is available for Sprint and is tri-band, 32gb, 3000mAh battery for 349.99-399.99.

I doubt the battery but that is just what I am hoping lol.

Joseph-out!

Via https://twitter.com/autoprime4G/status/389643824655794176

"It's looking like Sprint will offer the Nexus 5 instead of CDMA users going through the Play Store. Still no signs of Verizon jumping in."

I can't really get my head around that tweet, since I don't understand why it has to be an either/or distribution. I was sort of going on the assumption that it would be like the Nexus 4, where you could choose to buy through the Play Store and save money on the full price of the device, or buy it from the carrier for a lower up-front cost (but ultimately marked-up full price, since I don't see Sprint applying the full $400 subsidy and selling the phone for free on contract).

Now it's true that Sprint hasn't been activating phones that didn't originate at some point from their store without first spoofing the MEID, but with the arrival of CSIMs and SoftBank management, I didn't foresee any delay with them taking this step forward. It also seemed that like Apple, Google would have some leverage to control the process a bit more so MVNOs would be able to activate newly purchased N5's no problem. With MEID's all being drawn from the same pool since there's just one version of the device being sold, Sprint couldn't really enforce their new 1-yr ban on BYOD LTE devices.

Of course, it would also be the right thing for Sprint to remove the $15-20/mo device subsidy for those who bring in a Nexus from the Play Store, but even I wasn't so naive as to expect Sprint to do that. Until they make that change, it will still make the most financial sense to buy the N5 off-contract and use your unavoidable device subsidy on an iPhone to then sell to recoup the extra cost you'll be paying. Kinda silly but for now it is what it is.

If Sprint really managed to get the better of Google and will only sell the N5 themselves, then they will also presumably lock it down. This will be another pointless move since hundreds of devs will be using the device (again, for which there's only one model) and they will presumably find an unlock for it relatively quickly.

Regarding Verizon, of course there's no sign of them jumping in. They won't sell it since the phone doesn't include Band 13 LTE, and the remote possibility of a VZW-only version is forestalled due the the government shutdown. The only access to VZW's network would be via PagePlus for 1x/Ev-DO use and maybe AWS LTE down the road.

• Like 1

I read something, on Android Police I think, that said they were hearing the announcement will be on the 31st, which makes sense to me. What better day to announce KitKat than on Halloween?

• Like 1

Not looking good for an announcement today. That rumor never struck me as particularly likely. I still think techradar's rumor of an announcement and release at the end of October is on the mark.

http://techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/nexus-5-will-ship-at-the-end-of-october-with-same-specs-as-iphone-5s-1185350?src=rss&attr=all

Cmon guys...it was obvious that there would not be an announcement today.  Google usually hosts an event to announce the Nexus 10 and the next Android.  Invites to the event would need to have been sent out at least a week ago.  I now expect that the Nexus 5 won't be announced at the very earliest end of Oct if not early Nov.

• Like 1

Cmon guys...it was obvious that there would not be an announcement today. Google usually hosts an event to announce the Nexus 10 and the next Android. Invites to the event would need to have been sent out at least a week ago. I now expect that the Nexus 5 won't be announced at the very earliest end of Oct if not early Nov.

C'mon bro! Let us dream a bit!

Sent from me phone

If you're into the whole subtle clue thing, apparently October 18th is the next rumored date.  It all stems from the KitKat Google + page posting a status that said "Everybody Dance Now" with a video that's 4:40 long.  So, of course, in true "Half Life 3 confirmed" fashion, people decided that 4:40 was 4.4, and that Everybody Dance (by C+C Music Factory) now came out on October 18th, 1990, hence October 18th is it!

Saw this a couple of different places, didn't bother to fact check myself.  One such example:  http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/10/october-18th-new-announcement-date-android-4-4-kitkat-nexus-5.html

If you're into the whole subtle clue thing, apparently October 18th is the next rumored date.  It all stems from the KitKat Google + page posting a status that said "Everybody Dance Now" with a video that's 4:40 long.  So, of course, in true "Half Life 3 confirmed" fashion, people decided that 4:40 was 4.4, and that Everybody Dance (by C+C Music Factory) now came out on October 18th, 1990, hence October 18th is it!

Saw this a couple of different places, didn't bother to fact check myself.  One such example:  http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/10/october-18th-new-announcement-date-android-4-4-kitkat-nexus-5.html

Wow....*reaches for a straw* because apparently that is what this article is telling us.  I don't buy this rumor because on youtube the song can be 4:40 or it can be shorter or longer depending on how the uploader cut off the time.  It just seems like an article written to attract attention.  But hell I hope I am wrong though.

But then the question is will the Nexus 5 and Nexus 10 be announced on Oct 18th?  It would sound strange without an event.  Then again last year they were suppose to have an Android 4.2/Nexus 10 event but due to Hurricane Sandy it was cancelled.