Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

I know we pay for the demos at our store. We can sell them later after they are removed from being on display and we get dummy phones so buying one means we can sell it later and make our money back.

Think of how many sprint stores there are and how many demos that would be if Google covered demo cost for all of em. Its not like they're hurting for cash but to me it wouldn't make much sense to fund allllll of those phones.

I know we pay for the demos at our store. We can sell them later after they are removed from being on display and we get dummy phones so buying one means we can sell it later and make our money back.

Think of how many sprint stores there are and how many demos that would be if Google covered demo cost for all of em. Its not like they're hurting for cash but to me it wouldn't make much sense to fund allllll of those phones.

I guess.  But if spending $300 bucks for each store to get a Nexus 5 could lead to more customers adds then I think you would easily make up that $300.  Besides you said that you can always sell the phone a year later to make up at least half of that money back.  I guess as a customer, I would like to be aware that the Nexus 5 is supported on Sprint even if it means that I later have to go online and purchase the phone outright.

That's if we bought not if they funded it.

Your average person isn't buying a nexus. Most people who buy them root them or are followers of the nexus brand. They don't need to come into the store to know that they want the device.

Right.  I am assuming if you guys bought it.  Like you said traditionally the store buys the phones so I was going with that theory. Yes, consumers will buy the Nexus brand because it is the easiest device to root and flash custom ROMs.  However it is not the only criteria nowadays.  Battery life, size of the phone, camera, feel of the phone, etc are equally as important.  That is why I say that having demos in the store would help.  I would say the average customer is usually debating between at least 2 devices before making their selection when they come to a Sprint store and that is where having demos can help the customer make their decision.

But lets not kid ourselves here, anyone that has used Android before knows that almost every non-Nexus Android smartphone has quickly come out with a root method very soon after launch (in some cases hours after launch) so its not like Apple with the iPhone where it may take months before a jailbreak is released which customers aren't willing to wait.  That shouldn't even be a criteria since rooting is pretty much given for all the high end non-Nexus Android smartphones.  It is the unlocking the bootloader of the non-Nexus Android smartphones like the GS4, HTC One, etc that may have people questioning whether they want the phone.

Any ideas on how updates would work if this is sold directly from the Play store?  Outside of the SIM issue, my big question has been the CDMA drivers.  Could Google perhaps update everything BUT the radios, and leave those for Sprint to push out some other way?

Yeah I have been googling "nexus 5" all morning in between classes with the hopes of catching some news about it...

We have news on the specs and possible release date of the HTC One Max today.  I guess that filled the quota for big smartphone news for today.

Via https://twitter.com/autoprime4G/status/389643824655794176

"It's looking like Sprint will offer the Nexus 5 instead of CDMA users going through the Play Store. Still no signs of Verizon jumping in."

Not sure how this would work - maybe website and/or telesales exclusive? I can't imagine they would want to cannibalize G2 sales.

"It's looking like Sprint will offer the Nexus 5 instead of CDMA users going through the Play Store. Still no signs of Verizon jumping in."

Not sure how this would work - maybe website and/or telesales exclusive? I can't imagine they would want to cannibalize G2 sales.

Interesting. If true, I'm a little worried A. that the release might be delayed on Sprint for the same reasons the G2 is delayed, and B. that although the hardware would support other carriers, the software might be altered to lock it to Sprint.

Not sure how this would work - maybe website and/or telesales exclusive? I can't

imagine they would want to cannibalize G2 sales.

I don't see this taking away any from the G2, at least, not any more than it would take away from any other phone. The G2 and Nexus 5 are two distinctly different phones and not just clones besides different software clothing.

So the Nexus 5 will be sold at Sprint stores I take it?  I do hope the Sprint version will also be sold on Google Play store.  It would be a bummer if it wasn't.

The question for those that are thinking of getting the Nexus 5....if the Nexus 5 is only going to be sold at Sprint stores and not on the Google Play Store for $149 or $199 with 2 year contract, would you still get it?  Also even if the Nexus 5 is sold at Sprint stores, what is to stop you from buying the Nexus 5 online since it has LTE bands to support ATT, Tmobile and Sprint on the same device and taking it to a Sprint store to activate it?  Could it possibly not have the MEIDs from the Nexus 5 devices bought from the Play store?

So the Nexus 5 will be sold at Sprint stores I take it?  I do hope the Sprint version will also be sold on Google Play store.  It would be a bummer if it wasn't.

The question for those that are thinking of getting the Nexus 5....if the Nexus 5 is only going to be sold at Sprint stores and not on the Google Play Store for $149 or $199 with 2 year contract, would you still get it?  Also even if the Nexus 5 is sold at Sprint stores, what is to stop you from buying the Nexus 5 online since it has LTE bands to support ATT, Tmobile and Sprint on the same device and taking it to a Sprint store to activate it?  Could it possibly not have the MEIDs from the Nexus 5 devices bought from the Play store?

If the Nexus 5 is sold only through Sprint on contract I won't get it. Actually, if Sprint doesn't allow this device to be activated on it's BYOD MVNOs I won't buy it either. At this point (after paying $44 a month for 2 smartphones for nearly 5 months) I don't plan on ever having a 2 year contract again. Sprint making it solely available on contract would make me reconsider it's network entirely and seriously think about GSM prepaid for the future as I am already quite displeased that Sprint is enforcing a 1 year wait period on all used Sprint devices from being activated on Ting and other MVNOs.

• Like 2

Won't the N5 be more a niche product? I think the average consumer in stores will look at these identically priced devices and pick the shiny one with all the colors.

Is this enough to tide you over?

Several more at http://vk.com/wall-53724450_650851

This seems to be a more final version of the hardware than the device in the French leak.

Impressive that LG was able to make a matte finish that attracts fingerprints so well. Either that, or Homes was knocking back copious amounts of fries and onion rings. ;)

I would love to buy this off contract, then time the use of my upgrade around a high demand phone that I could resell 'new' off contract to someone else.

since the evo lte will be gettting 4.3, I should be fine in case I have to use that device if i was to break my N5 (knock on wood).