Sprint Wireline Discussion

mhammett

As I have built and still operate my own network, yes, I'd be very surprised.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Circuitous fiber routes particularly plague transit. If you've got dark fiber then you've got less issues. But lit stuff? They could be muxing eight ways from Sunday and providing poor performance to match.

Circuitous fiber routes particularly plague transit. If you've got dark fiber then you've got less issues. But lit stuff? They could be muxing eight ways from Sunday and providing poor performance to match.

Muxing shouldn't have anything to do with it. Actually, they shouldn't be muxing anywhere anyway. Well, not traditional muxing.

The backhaul provider could be over-subscribing the service, but that wouldn't make any sense and I personally haven't experienced that. I guess it also comes down to are they getting an MPLS\Carrier Ethernet type backhaul which is easier to oversubscribe or are they getting a dedicated Ethernet\sub-wavelength service. The latter would be very difficult to oversubscribe in any fashion.

Also, transit is full route Internet service. Transport is backhaul.

You saw it here first!

http://convergence.sprint.com/downloads/400G%20release%20final%208-15.pdf

Back-haul, back-haul back-haul!

I doubt this will translate directly to network speeds on the near term but long term it looks like backhaul should not be a problem, except last mile issues we have currently. Thoughts?

It may have been said before, but this is the first time I've seen it mentioned that this was done over their existing network and not IRUs on someone else's newer fiber. There was doubt that original Sprint and AT&T builds would support higher data rates.

That's making even Google look bad. Why can't any of these fiber networks come to Jacksonville? I seem to have only 1 option for fiber internet - and that's the monopolistic Comcast.

It makes no one look bad. Networks have been trialling systems over 100 gig and deploying 100 gig for a year or two now. Google may very well already be doing this, but as they aren't a carrier, they have no need to announce it.

Which Jacksonville?

It is highly doubtful that you have Comcast fiber. Comcast rarely has a monopoly of fiber services.

That's making even Google look bad.  Why can't any of these fiber networks come to Jacksonville?  I seem to have only 1 option for fiber internet - and that's the monopolistic Comcast.

400GB/S is amazing lol. Could you imagine? Jesus lol. 400 people with 1GB/S in one package. Hospitals don't even get that.  and comcast has gotten better in my area. I went from 15mb down to 50MB down and at peak hours I get 80MB

400GB/S is amazing lol. Could you imagine? Jesus lol. 400 people with 1GB/S in one package. Hospitals don't even get that. and comcast has gotten better in my area. I went from 15mb down to 50MB down and at peak hours I get 80MB

SprintLink is not a FTTH (fiber to the home) provider, or even a consumer producer at all. It is a tier 1 Internet backbone provider. They sell bandwidth on their global backbone network to other providers, not consumer connections.

• Like 1

It makes no one look bad. Networks have been trialling systems over 100 gig and deploying 100 gig for a year or two now. Google may very well already be doing this, but as they aren't a carrier, they have no need to announce it.

Which Jacksonville?

It is highly doubtful that you have Comcast fiber. Comcast rarely has a monopoly of fiber services.

Jacksonville, FL.  I get 58mbps but I'm throttled pretty hard whenever I watch any kind of video - even on 480p.  It's quite disturbing.

400GB/S is amazing lol. Could you imagine? Jesus lol. 400 people with 1GB/S in one package. Hospitals don't even get that.  and comcast has gotten better in my area. I went from 15mb down to 50MB down and at peak hours I get 80MB

I'd LOVE to have speeds that quick.  I wonder if there's any servers that have that kind of upload speed to support that. LOL

Jacksonville, FL.  I get 58mbps but I'm throttled pretty hard whenever I watch any kind of video - even on 480p.  It's quite disturbing.

I'd LOVE to have speeds that quick.  I wonder if there's any servers that have that kind of upload speed to support that. LOL

Hell ya man!! lol!!

SprintLink is not a FTTH (fiber to the home) provider, or even a consumer producer at all. It is a tier 1 Internet backbone provider. They sell bandwidth on their global backbone network to other providers, not consumer connections.

Yes I know that.. lol I was just saying IF ONLY :/.

Comcast is the devil. They have a monopoly here in northeastern Florida. They blocked Verizon FiOS and AT&T so besides Comcast Internet, I have no DSL option and Clear never got a signal in my home unless I had it outside on top of the fence.

No one has that kind of speed other than carriers. There just isn't a need for it unless you're at the carrier level.

It's probably a peering issue.

And no, there are no servers anywhere close to that speed.

• Like 1

No one has that kind of speed other than carriers. There just isn't a need for it unless you're at the carrier level.

It's probably a peering issue.

And no, there are no servers anywhere close to that speed.

That's not entirely true. Major hospitals use GB networks.

That's not entirely true. Major hospitals use GB networks.

No, it is entirely true. There are no 400 gigabit cards for servers. I am not aware of any 100 gigabit cards for servers. There are, however, 40 gigabit cards. They're not very common, though.

There also aren't any servers that could generate that much data even if they had a card.

There are gigabit network everywhere. (Also, use a lower case b, not an upper case b when referring to communications).

I wasn't talking about 400GB lol. I just said GB. Our local hospital has 2 locations and then has a ton of buildings for heart, physical and eye doctors. There entire network is one and is interconnected.

The recent conversation has been about Sprint's addition of 100 gigabit and testing of 400 gigabit segments. If you're going to go off-topic, please say so.

The recent conversation has been about Sprint's addition of 100 gigabit and testing of 400 gigabit segments. If you're going to go off-topic, please say so.

He always goes off-topic.  I'm down to see these larger network speeds delivered to cities for their use to all of it's residents.  This level of speed could easily be utilized by a large city, or maybe by a small consortium of people at greater distance to the hub.

Comcast is the devil. They have a monopoly here in northeastern Florida. They blocked Verizon FiOS and AT&T so besides Comcast Internet, I have no DSL option and Clear never got a signal in my home unless I had it outside on top of the fence.

You can fix that by blackmailing the local government officials with pictures of them holding a cat by it's tail.  That'll learns them.  But no really, your best bet to change the oligopoly is to inform the locals that your elected officials are not looking to save them money and allow competition.  My HOA is doing the same thing right now.

He always goes off-topic.  I'm down to see these larger network speeds delivered to cities for their use to all of it's residents.  This level of speed could easily be utilized by a large city, or maybe by a small consortium of people at greater distance to the hub.

You can fix that by blackmailing the local government officials with pictures of them holding a cat by it's tail.  That'll learns them.  But no really, your best bet to change the oligopoly is to inform the locals that your elected officials are not looking to save them money and allow competition.  My HOA is doing the same thing right now.

I always go off topic? Hm I always compare other things and bring other things in that are off topic. I've never seen 400GB/s speeds so I felt the need to compare that those speeds are amazing compared to wired-in-home speeds.

How did Comcast block them?

According to the person at the AT&T store across the street from my house, Comcast owns all the fiber in this area and has an aggressive ad campaign that has buried any reason for AT&T to invest in putting fiber down to support u-verse and their high speed Internet. As far as Verizon, they made a deal to offer Verizon wireless as a part of comcast's bundled services for a quadruple play home phone, cable, Internet and wireless deal to increase market dominance for Verizon wireless and Comcast both but as part of that, they can't compete with their own FiOS services. It seems besides cell service, there is little competition in the telco business overall.

• Like 1