Sprint Wireline Discussion

mhammett

Leaving out DSL for a moment, U-Verse as it's deployed is a crappy solution to the bandwidth problem. Says the person who's within a half-mile of the nearest U-Verse "lawn fridge" and can't get more than 6M down from AT&T. They're probably running the lines all wrong, but regardless, those speeds are absolutely pathetic for an area that's dense enough that WiMAX on a mobile device actually works, and cable DOCSIS 3 delivers 50 Mbps.

Sure, VDSL2 (including bonded options) delivers nice speeds to some areas. A friend of mine may go with CenturyLink because they offer $35 (intro price) 40/20 'net at his new apartment. But places where that kind of speed is realized are quite rare, leaving everyone else in a state of weeping and gnashing of teeth.

All of that said, if you're outside the range of cable, line-bonded ADSL2+ (Annex A or Annex M) on a FastPath profile is reasonably speedy and very reliable if done right. And yes, if you're in an area that isn't served by a small telephone company or co-op, DSL is all you're gonna get for wireline access if cable won't go there. But if you build your DSL network too sparsely, LTE becomes the better option. Or an unlicensed-spectrum wireless ISP.

All that said, Sprint's exit from the wireline business was probably for the best. They can go hard on LTE fixed-line replacement services, and choose the right backhaul provider for the job rather than just picking their own internal one.

All that said, Sprint's exit from the wireline business was probably for the best. They can go hard on LTE fixed-line replacement services, and choose the right backhaul provider for the job rather than just picking their own internal one.

Yeah, in the long run that's probably true, but for the markets that are having a hard time getting backhual (looking at you AZ) that's a tough pill to swallow.

Yeah, in the long run that's probably true, but for the markets that are having a hard time getting backhual (looking at you AZ) that's a tough pill to swallow.

I still blame CenturyLink 100% for this. My neighbor used to work for Qwest here before the merger, etc... it's exactly what Qwest used to do, just a different name.

• Like 4

I still blame CenturyLink 100% for this. My neighbor used to work for Qwest here before the merger, etc... it's exactly what Qwest used to do, just a different name.

I Imagine they kept quite a bit of the Qwest management. I can't imagine Sprint is very happy with them, they're likely losing customers because of CenturyLink's ineptness.

I drove by one of the Century link facilities the other day here in AJ ( should haev took a pic of all the trucks in the lot) i wanted to drive up and say wtf get off your asses and get to work lol give them a map with towers and go lol 

i had to get century link (swore id never get qwest) because i moved to AJ and believe it or not Cox does not serve Apache Junction... two blocks west they do... i told them id provide the coax.. if they would just run it for me lol.  had an issue with wiring their end.  they swore id not get charged a service call.  the guy came said nope our wiriing no problem... they tried to charge me 99 dollars for them to put a filter and run 3 wires...  it took me a week to get the to pony up and take the charge off... 

had to deal with clearwires incompetence now century link ugh lol  

• Like 1

I drove by one of the Century link facilities the other day here in AJ...

i had to get century link (swore id never get qwest) because i moved to AJ...

Hey, get out of me!  Who said that you could move here with me?

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Apache Junction... Isn't that a nursing home?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Not this time of year... It's still too hot the snowbirds would melt then burst into flames.. Now in a couple months when our population literally doubles.. From left blinker always on masses from Minnesota and western Canadian provinces that's a different story

Hey, get out of me!  Who said that you could move here with me?

:P

AJ

Be glad it's AJ AZ... If it was MN after yesterday's news this question would be way more awkward lol

http://www.sprint.com/wholesale/docs/CLEC_forum/data_products.pdf

Best network map I've found yet. It actually shows the POP in my town.

It shows how many lambdas are on each segment.

Or how many there were in '04.

Also, now I know why the MMS gateway for all Sprint MVNOs is plspictures; I remember using that for STi Mobile back in '05 or so...whenever the LG PM-225 was new. And now with Ting.

Or how many there were in '04.

Also, now I know why the MMS gateway for all Sprint MVNOs is plspictures; I remember using that for STi Mobile back in '05 or so...whenever the LG PM-225 was new. And now with Ting.

I doubt there's been any additions since then. Sprint basically abandoned their wireline until their 100 GigE trials of late. All of the incumbents have. Just milking it for other businesses.

I doubt there's been any additions since then. Sprint basically abandoned their wireline until their 100 GigE trials of late. All of the incumbents have. Just milking it for other businesses.

Are you saying that Sprint is investing in it's Wireline business again? 

Be glad it's AJ AZ... If it was MN after yesterday's news this question would be way more awkward lol

Don't get AJ started on Minnesota.  It brings back traumatic memories of how he would rib Scott!

Robert

Sprint (NYSE: S) continues to make progress with its own 100G optical path by completing two key trials of the technology on its wireline network.

Working with its optical systems partner Ciena (Nasdaq: CIEN), the service provider deployed a 100G circuit over a 1,304-mile span in the United States and recently completed a live 400G trial.

During its 100G circuit trial, which is now integrated into its network infrastructures and is in-service between Chicago and Fort Worth, Texas, it did not need to conduct regeneration between each point. Sprint said that being able to transmit at longer distance enables the service provider to reduce latency and increase reliability.

The service provider said that the 100G technology it has deployed will enable it to achieve speeds up to 10X faster and, later, up to 40x faster without network upgrades. Its Ethernet Wave Services can provide 100G speeds now and 400G in the future.

In its 400G trial in Silicon Valley, Sprint ran 400 Gbps channels alongside existing channels carrying live customer traffic. While it has not announced any specific date as to when it would need 400G, it said that it "foresees the opportunity to add a network equivalent of high-speed traffic lanes for customers with high-demand requirements."

http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/sprint-enables-100g-ethernet-wavelength-services-sets-path-400g/2013-08-15

• Like 5

Sprint (NYSE: S) continues to make progress with its own 100G optical path by completing two key trials of the technology on its wireline network.

Working with its optical systems partner Ciena (Nasdaq: CIEN), the service provider deployed a 100G circuit over a 1,304-mile span in the United States and recently completed a live 400G trial.

During its 100G circuit trial, which is now integrated into its network infrastructures and is in-service between Chicago and Fort Worth, Texas, it did not need to conduct regeneration between each point. Sprint said that being able to transmit at longer distance enables the service provider to reduce latency and increase reliability.

The service provider said that the 100G technology it has deployed will enable it to achieve speeds up to 10X faster and, later, up to 40x faster without network upgrades. Its Ethernet Wave Services can provide 100G speeds now and 400G in the future.

In its 400G trial in Silicon Valley, Sprint ran 400 Gbps channels alongside existing channels carrying live customer traffic. While it has not announced any specific date as to when it would need 400G, it said that it "foresees the opportunity to add a network equivalent of high-speed traffic lanes for customers with high-demand requirements."

http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/sprint-enables-100g-ethernet-wavelength-services-sets-path-400g/2013-08-15

FiOS ala Sprint?  Sprint + Google Fiber?  Watch out other countries with better access to internet then the US, here comes the competition. 

Eh, just a dream.  I just wish i could get the darn HOA to let FiOS into the complex.

Eh, just a dream. I just wish i could get the darn HOA to let FiOS into the complex.

HOAs are the devil....Anyway, find a number of like minded neighbors and petition the HOA board.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 3

FiOS ala Sprint?  Sprint + Google Fiber?  Watch out other countries with better access to internet then the US, here comes the competition. 

Eh, just a dream.  I just wish i could get the darn HOA to let FiOS into the complex.

While it would be great to have fiber to the home with Sprint, I am not sure it will happen. Despite my disdain for Verizon, I do love my FiOS! Then again just about anything was better than Comcast.

Convince your HOA to let them in, its worth it. :music:

HOAs do whatever their residents want. Sprint will likely never do FTTH. Most places will never see FTTH.

Sprint does not have any/very few metro loops of their own. Kind of short sighted if you ask me.

Sprint does not have any/very few metro loops of their own. Kind of short sighted if you ask me.

Less expensive and *usually* more responsive for someone like Windstream, Zayo, PEG, etc. to do it for them as they're building out to the other cellular guys as well.

HOAs do whatever their residents want. Sprint will likely never do FTTH. Most places will never see FTTH.

Oh man, I knew this was true and it's still heartbreaking.  :(