Sprint Wireline Discussion

mhammett

Oh man, I knew this was true and it's still heartbreaking. :(

Is cable included in "FTTH"? Comcast's 105mbps qualifies as "crazy fast enough" for me.

Is cable included in "FTTH"? Comcast's 105mbps qualifies as "crazy fast enough" for me.

I believe Comcast is fiber to the node and then goes coax to the premise. DOCSIS 3.0 use of channel bonding allows for higher speeds. This is the reason the MSO's want to get rid of basic analog service and move users over to digital services so they can use their assets to offer higher speeds and capacities on their systems.

I believe Comcast is fiber to the node and then goes coax to the premise. DOCSIS 3.0 use of channel bonding allows for higher speeds. This is the reason the MSO's want to get rid of basic analog service and move users over to digital services so they can use their assets to offer higher speeds and capacities on their systems.

I know. I was implying that DOCSIS 3.0 is "good enough 'fiber'l.

I can beat the performance of DOCSIS 3.0 equipment with fixed wireless.

actual FTTH is 10x + faster.

Well yeah that makes sense because isn't fixed LTE supposed to be capable of 1 Gbps? Also I meant your comment about FTTH being around the corner (hence why I bolded it).

Well yeah that makes sense because isn't fixed LTE supposed to be capable of 1 Gbps? Also I meant your comment about FTTH being around the corner (hence why I bolded it).

I have 2 mass deployment FTTH methods to test this year.  One of them is going to get picked. 

Wireless speeds are capable of Gbps rates if you have the spectrum to do so.  My initial deployments will probably be between 80-140mbps. I should note however that even in 2 separate 20mhz TDD channels a heavy load will still drop the speeds for everyone on the sector

I have 2 mass deployment FTTH methods to test this year.  One of them is going to get picked. 

Wireless speeds are capable of Gbps rates if you have the spectrum to do so.  My initial deployments will probably be between 80-140mbps. 

Both those things are exciting. FTTH will be great for urban areas and fixed wireless could solve a lot of poor rural speed problems.

Both those things are exciting. FTTH will be great for urban areas and fixed wireless could solve a lot of poor rural speed problems.

Well without spilling all the beans, everyone will have the option to receive FTTH eventually  :D

It is a lot easier to split nodes in a FTTH deployment than fixed wireless.

If we had a big piece of spectrum south of 5 GHz, we could compete a lot better with cable.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It is a lot easier to split nodes in a FTTH deployment than fixed wireless.

If we had a big piece of spectrum south of 5 GHz, we could compete a lot better with cable.

Do you have any 3GHZ licenses? 

Everyone. I can guarantee where I live that will never happen the road I live on is 2.5 mile's long with 3 house's and i'm at the far end the phone line on this road was put in around 1945.

It may not be anytime soon.  One day though the fiber infrastructure will be available to EVERYBODY.

Everyone. I can guarantee where I live that will never happen the road I live on is 2.5 mile's long with 3 house's and i'm at the far end the phone line on this road was put in around 1945. Heck fixed wireless all around me,none that will penetrate the wood's I live in. 700mhz has got me some service 850mhz to a point that is with external antenna and amp but anything higher is a no go. Then come's next year amp's will all be outlawed I will be shit out of luck.

Build a tower above the trees. ;-)

I am bit confused about this Sprint wireline talk.  Does this mean that Sprint will upgrade its Sprintlink network to be fiber based nationwide?  If so, does this have any impact on Sprint's wireless services in providing backhaul to Sprint towers in the future?

I am bit confused about this Sprint wireline talk.  Does this mean that Sprint will upgrade its Sprintlink network to be fiber based nationwide?  If so, does this have any impact on Sprint's wireless services in providing backhaul to Sprint towers in the future?

Sprintlink has been fiber for a little while, but Sprintlink is just a backbone network. Backhaul is the link between the site and the backbone.

Sprintlink has been fiber for a little while, but Sprintlink is just a backbone network. Backhaul is the link between the site and the backbone.

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  Would it be extremely tough for Sprint to spend the capital to eventually expand Sprintlink to provide backhaul capabiltiies.  I assume Verizon and ATT are backbone and backhaul providers?

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  Would it be extremely tough for Sprint to spend the capital to eventually expand Sprintlink to provide backhaul capabiltiies.  I assume Verizon and ATT are backbone and backhaul providers?

Depends on the area. I know CenturyLink is one of the main ones and I they also will use more local providers sometimes, like in Iowa they use MediaCom.

Sprint was one of the first fiber networks.

It is completely unnecessary for them to build all of their own backhaul and very expensive too.

Do you know why some areas have such a hard time getting backhaul? Is Sprint just very low on some list or does it take a long time to set everything up?

Do you know why some areas have such a hard time getting backhaul? Is Sprint just very low on some list or does it take a long time to set everything up?

Getting circuits delivered is always a challenge, and having them properly handoff traffic is key. 

• Like 1

Getting circuits delivered is always a challenge, and having them properly handoff traffic is key.

The backhaul is completely neutral to what rides on top of it.