the Why I hate my ISP thread

4ktvs

When you only have one or maybe two at best Option's for wireline high speed internet, well thing's tend to go wrong.... a lot. And every time you get them to "fix" it, a new issue always seem's to pop up. I think it must be an over loaded node because my power level's are fine. 

My slow speed issues:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2779997684

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2618832962

And now: 

Yep I used my Verizon phone to upload the video, becuase it would have taken my time warner connection all night if at all to do the upload and then stupid youtube has it's bug's. ( I had to reupload due to a error with youtube.)

• Like 1

I remember when I lived in Cape Coral, FL back in my high school days and my parents had CenturyLink and the highest they could offer was 1.5 but it was more like 500k every day with super high ping...grr I hated them

Right now in Miami I have Comcast's 50/10 and I can't complain, absolutely love it.

I remember when I lived in Cape Coral, FL back in my high school days and my parents had CenturyLink and the highest they could offer was 1.5 but it was more like 500k every day with super high ping...grr I hated them

Right now in Miami I have Comcast's 50/10 and I can't complain, absolutely love it.

I had 56k and dial up with AOL 12 years ago so, that really really sucked. 

Edited by 4ktvs
  • Like 4

When you only have one or maybe two at best Option's for wireline high speed internet, well thing's tend to go wrong.... a lot. And every time you get them to "fix" it, a new issue always seem's to pop up. I think it must be an over loaded node because my power level's are fine. 

What kind of modem you have? and please post the signal level too

We are served by the wireline duopoly AT&T and Comcast here. No other options. Have Comcast 50/10 right now and love it. 58 dollars a month for that and basic TV, standard rates after a year is 80.

Got Comcast in Chicago too and that's a mess, service goes to shit whenever it rains a lot. Was thinking about switching to VOIP from their voice service but due to the instability of the Internet connection (and the only other option, AT&T is no better) I may put together some kind of phone solution using cellular home phones (this is a small retail shop).

Comm-cast is the only love in these parts. Must be nice, whatever this 50/10 pricing is. They gouge your eyes out when they have not a single wired broadband competitor

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Optimum in NYC is the gold standard for cable. They actually care about their customers. In fact in their commercial they said they don't want to be called a cable company. If you have any problem, they'll sit on the phone with you until you get your problem fixed and they send crews out in a day if you have any problem.

I have to update my signature because my speeds are actually higher than this now. I got upgraded from a 50/8 tier to a 101/35 tier for free!

• Like 2

Comm-cast is the only love in these parts. Must be nice, whatever this 50/10 pricing is. They gouge your eyes out when they have not a single wired broadband competitor

I have Comcast and I have the Blast (50mbps) down. They also gave me basic digital tv, Streampix, and HBO free for 2 years.

$40/month for 1 year, goes to $60 after that.

Where I live, I also have access to WOW! U-verse. My wifi can't even reach 50mbps but when I plug in, it's 50.

But guess who's gonna threaten to go to WOW! if I don't get $40 price forever?

Hahahhahahah

Comcast is nice as long as you know how to play them. Also, you have to be talking to a college-educated "customer solutions" person, not someone from the ghetto.

You'll know the difference right away.

Edited by asdf190

Right, no uverse here, fastest att connection is 1.5mb. Comcast convinced my city to allow them to have exclusivity and has cranked our rates every year for the past 5. I pay $135+ a month for basic cable, 24mb internet and hbo. And I have a discount. It goes up over $150 in november. Hardest part is they charge even more for the net if you dont have a tv package, so the savings I could score with direct tv are almost always mitigated when I comp shop. They relish in their monopoly

this is why i like cox

It's taking a lot of restraint to not make a joke about this.

That being said, I don't hate my ISP, I just wish they had some competition. They have the coax monopoly so unless you want DSL, it's just take what you're given and hope it doesn't hurt too much.

That being said, I don't hate my ISP, I just wish they had some competition. They have the coax monopoly so unless you want DSL, it's just take what you're given and hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Any company is free to install fiber or coax anywhere they want but it mostly doesn't meet the cost/benefit threshold.

Verizon stopped expanding Fios in 2012.

Any company is free to install fiber or coax anywhere they want but it mostly doesn't meet the cost/benefit threshold.

Verizon stopped expanding Fios in 2012.

Anyone can install fiber, but last time I heard they have a legal monopoly on coaxial.

What? Who said that? If you're gonna build a network from scratch, might as well use fiber.

I'm talking about my specific city's ISPs. They can make a fiber network, but they can't use the coaxial, as far as I know.

I get 95 mb/s down

Right, no uverse here, fastest att connection is 1.5mb. Comcast convinced my city to allow them to have exclusivity and has cranked our rates every year for the past 5. I pay $135+ a month for basic cable, 24mb internet and hbo. And I have a discount. It goes up over $150 in november. Hardest part is they charge even more for the net if you dont have a tv package, so the savings I could score with direct tv are almost always mitigated when I comp shop. They relish in their monopoly

Same here in CA. My bill runs about 150.00 for basic cable and Internet and that's calling them every 6 months to get a "Deal" on ether TV or internet. Otherwise it would be upward of 175.00. Too far from AT&T CO and on an old cable plant from the 50's to get Decent DSL Speeds and No Uverse and Comcast knows it! I wish options to play off each other.

On the Other Hand Have VZ DSL at a rental property in Southern CA was paying $29.99 a month for the last five years for 1.5 MB DSL, that just had a rate increase to 34.99.

Switching to TWC Internet for 15MB down 1.5  up for $ 34.00  deal for a year.  Looks like when that year is Up will see what VZ will offer on New DSL Service.

• Like 2

My TWC has been okay, delivering 50/5 most of the time, but I'm paying plenty for the service ('net only, modem no longer rented) and YouTube connectivity is horrid.

I'd be happy if they upped upload speeds to 10 Mbps and fixed the YouTube issue (which is their problem). But they'd have to make upgrades, which cost money, to do that...and neither U-Verse's 45 Mbps upgrade nor Google Fiber are here yet. And LTE, though faster on uploads, would be a bad idea to try to use as a home connection. Until FreedomPop offers TD-LTE based service anyway.