the Why I hate my ISP thread

4ktvs

My TWC has been okay, delivering 50/5 most of the time, but I'm paying plenty for the service ('net only, modem no longer rented) and YouTube connectivity is horrid.

I'd be happy if they upped upload speeds to 10 Mbps and fixed the YouTube issue (which is their problem). But they'd have to make upgrades, which cost money, to do that...and neither U-Verse's 45 Mbps upgrade nor Google Fiber are here yet. And LTE, though faster on uploads, would be a bad idea to try to use as a home connection. Until FreedomPop offers TD-LTE based service anyway.

I would be happier with them if they had better packages with better upload speed for the money and also got the speeds I am paying for more than 70% of the time. My speeds are fine for now as they have gotten better after replacing all the cabling to my home, the modem a few times and upgrading the network thanks to a lot of homes being built near by. Hope not many of them sign up for time warner cable, and go for the FITH ISP for high speed internet. ( I hope they will let me sign up for some fiber goodness, but likely not.)

My Cox is feeling envious @ab30494

2865889540.png

Like the "Trench coat Guy" for Sprint," the "Can you hear me now?" guy for VZW, and Chad for Alltel, Cox should run commercials with a corporate pitchman.  Call him "Mike Oxgood."

AJ

I have Comcast and I have the Blast (50mbps) down. They also gave me basic digital tv, Streampix, and HBO free for 2 years. $40/month for 1 year, goes to $60 after that. Where I live, I also have access to WOW! U-verse. My wifi can't even reach 50mbps but when I plug in, it's 50. But guess who's gonna threaten to go to WOW! if I don't get $40 price forever? HahahhahahahComcast is nice as long as you know how to play them. Also, you have to be talking to a college-educated "customer solutions" person, not someone from the ghetto. You'll know the difference right away.

Wow, I really wish that was available here. There isn't anything remotely comparable to that in NYC, to my knowledge at least.

I like this thread.

I have U-Verse because I spent many years waiting for my Comcast modem to connect. U-Verse is definitely more reliable but the speeds are so much slower. From time to time it just crawls.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2866449659 Pay for 18/1.5.

Also, This video is funny if you guys haven't seen it. 

I'm really considering switching to Comcast though because I can get 50Mbps for the same cost but the story goes that U-Verse is going to be upgraded soon but I don't know how long I'll wait.

• Like 2

I like this thread.

I have U-Verse because I spent many years waiting for my Comcast modem to connect. U-Verse is definitely more reliable but the speeds are so much slower. From time to time it just crawls.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2866449659 Pay for 18/1.5.

Also, This video is funny if you guys haven't seen it.

I'm really considering switching to Comcast though because I can get 50Mbps for the same cost but the story goes that U-Verse is going to be upgraded soon but I don't know how long I'll wait.

Uverse speeds will never match coax cable. But the bigger problem is that speeds depend on how far from a CO you're on.

ATT wants to wring out value from its copper lines but eventually they're gonna have to upgrade to fiber if they don't wanna be smoked by cable. Or if they're happy to decrease their prices, fine.

Whenever a uverse employee calls me and offers me 6mbps for $30, given I'm paying $40 for 50mbps, I wanna smack them through the phone and yell "I SAID IM GETTING 50mbps FOR $40"

Then they read off their script [indian accent]"oh but sir, cable is a shared resource with your neighbors and BLAH BLAH BLAH".

AT&T ups U-verse speeds to 45 Mbps in Texas

Read more: AT&T ups U-verse speeds to 45 Mbps in Texas - FierceTelecom http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/att-ups-u-verse-speeds-45-mbps-texas/2013-03-25#ixzz2aSgrkxU2

Subscribe at FierceTelecom

Will cable companies eventually upgrade with FTTH or can they keep on wringing speed improvements through docsis ?

My guess is existing ILECs (incumbent local exchange carriers) and cable companies will continue to try to eke out improvements with their existing infrastructure, primarily because they have so much invested in it already. For them it's more cost effective to simply try to eke out performance improvements at the margin than to recreate their existing network. Maybe in new developments they COULD lay fiber, but the compatibility headaches with their existing networks means you'd have to upgrade everything connected to the local plant. Thus they have little incentive to convert from coax or twisted pairs to fiber.

Most of the fiber deployments (FTTH, FTTN, or FTTC) I see are CLECs (competitive local exchange carriers). These small local carriers had to build out their own networks after the FCC stopped forcing ILECs to wholesale DSL loops to them. It put some of them out of business, but the ones that did survive are building modern networks that will support much better speeds than cable or the old telcos. These telcos offer speeds similar to cable, but with much better service and slightly better pricing in my experience.

• Like 1

In other countries the phone companies are offering bonded VDSL, speeds upto 76 Mbps on the plus net in the UK.

They must be copying CenturyUnlink by calling it fibre internet, even though only part of it is.

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/package-guides/fibre-optic-broadband/#fibre-explained

My TWC has been okay, delivering 50/5 most of the time, but I'm paying plenty for the service ('net only, modem no longer rented) and YouTube connectivity is horrid.

I'd be happy if they upped upload speeds to 10 Mbps and fixed the YouTube issue (which is their problem). But they'd have to make upgrades, which cost money, to do that...and neither U-Verse's 45 Mbps upgrade nor Google Fiber are here yet. And LTE, though faster on uploads, would be a bad idea to try to use as a home connection. Until FreedomPop offers TD-LTE based service anyway.

How are Freedompop price's after 500mb? 

How are Freedompop price's after 500mb?

They're okay but not great. Unless you're in an area where they offer rebranded Clearwire "fixed" service (the desktop modem). In which case they're okay...$7/GB...but not in line with what you should pay for fixed broadband.

It's impossible to find Comcast's price for internet after 6 months/1 year on their website. Also 7.99/mo seems a bit much for a modem. I don't rent but still wtf.

That price shouldn't matter because you call, press # to cancel service and say to them "if you've been making money off of me for the last 6 months, you can continue making money off me at the current rate or make $0/month at the increased rate."

I did this for my parents and have got then the same rate for the last 2+ years - $30 for performance Internet (20 Mbps)

• Like 2

That price shouldn't matter because you call, press # to cancel service and say to them "if you've been making money off of me for the last 6 months, you can continue making money off me at the current rate or make $0/month at the increased rate."

I did this for my parents and have got then the same rate for the last 2+ years - $30 for performance Internet (20 Mbps)

I know if time warner cable ever try's to jack my rate over 30 a month, I will say you can have my 30 a month or I will be giving it to Verizon to add the hotspot that's unlimited. ( Unlimited LTE rocks on the S4)

I know if time warner cable ever try's to jack my rate over 30 a month, I will say you can have my 30 a month or I will be giving it to Verizon to add the hotspot that's unlimited. ( Unlimited LTE rocks on the S4)

Grandfathered in, buying devices at full MSRP?

Grandfathered in, buying devices at full MSRP?

Grandfathered in and was able to upgrade at discounted price. :)

S4 was 250 up front and I will be selling the S3 that I got for free from Verizon due to how they messed my Droid razr up. (It's a really long story with slow data speeds, countless calls to 611 the FCC,BBB and OTA braking thing's built into the phone that I was sold on. )

Edited by 4ktvs

Grandfathered in and was able to upgrade at discounted price. :)

S4 was 250 up front and I will be selling the S3 that I got for free from Verizon due to how they messed my Droid razr up. (It's a really long story with slow data speeds, countless calls to 611 the FCC,BBB and OTA braking thing's built into the phone that I was sold on. )

How can you upgrade at discount price? I've had VZW iphone 4 since July 2011, also grandfathered, but no discounted upgrade.

That used to be unequivocally true. Now, it depends how congested your area is and is you'll be within reach of VZW's future patchy AWS.

That used to be unequivocally true. Now, it depends how congested your area is and is you'll be within reach of VZW's future patchy AWS.

I know that better than most here seeing every thing from 60mbs to 75kbs. ( Yes killobit per second like 2G speed.) 

Screenshot_2013-07-04-22-44-521_zps4745b

Screenshot_2013-05-12-15-09-221_zps2a202

Video: 

How can you upgrade at discount price? I've had VZW iphone 4 since July 2011, also grandfathered, but no discounted upgrade.

As for how I did it, I know a guy who works for them and put the phone in the system under a line that was not my unlimited one, BUT used my unlimited lines upgrade to do it. The reps at the Verizon owned stores like to tell you that you can't do that and are told to rip your unlimited away when they do that or any upgrade at all on a unlimited line. 

But he works for a 3rd party store so they don't have that kind of control to do that. :)

Edited by 4ktvs
  • Like 2

I know that better than most here seeing every thing from 60mbs to 75kbs. ( Yes killobit per second like 2G speed.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Video:

As for how I did it, I know a guy who works for them and put the phone in the system under a line that was not my unlimited one, BUT used my unlimited lines upgrade to do it. The reps at the Verizon owned stores like to tell you that you can't do that and are told to rip your unlimited away when they do that or any upgrade at all on a unlimited line.

But he works for a 3rd party store so they don't have that kind of control to do that. :)

In those areas where you get the horrible LTE speeds, what kind of speeds do you get on 3G?

In those areas where you get the horrible LTE speeds, what kind of speeds do you get on 3G?

About less than 56kbs or in that one case with LTE at 73kbs 3G wouldn't pick up to do anything. Though my S4 won't let me force 3G, I will have to find out how to do so some time soon.

Also my upgrade is now posted on my Verizon and my contract ends on 8/5/2015 with unlimited DATA. :)

About less than 56kbs or in that one case with LTE at 73kbs 3G wouldn't pick up to do anything. Though my S4 won't let me force 3G, I will have to find out how to do so some time soon.

Also my upgrade is now posted on my Verizon and my contract ends on 8/5/2015 with unlimited DATA. :)

Is it only possible to do what you did if you know someone working for a Verizon retailer?

Is it only possible to do what you did if you know someone working for a Verizon retailer?

Getting the phone with out the upgrade being pushed though the system that same day, yes you basely have to know one because the person could then go to a 2nd store and use the upgrade again and then it a big mess for the store reps. For keeping unlimited data no you don't have to know them well just DON'T go to a Verizon owned store because they will do every thing in there power to rip unlimited data away. Only a 3rd party store would be willing to do this. You need at lest one non unlimited data plan line to do this though.( To put the phone on for activation only, then put it back on your unlimited line.)