Sprint network problem: Getting Nextel shutdown message on Sprint lines

Has anyone else here had this problem today?  My business account has 12 lines, almost of which are legacy Nextel lines.  Since this morning, when I try to call any of these numbers I get a message that the line was part of Nextel and wasn't converted to the new Sprint network when the Nextel network was shut down.  

This is completely untrue, as some of these lines were converted to Sprint as long as 3 years ago!  This is a huge issue; I've tried to call Sprint but without any success reaching an operator.  Anyone know something?

Call 888-211-4727 from a land line phone.

Hit 4, then 4, then 5 through the menu.  Alternatively, 4, then 4, then 1 for "if you can't make or receive calls"

This didn't work...it asked me to enter my phone #, then the prompts were different.  I did eventually get to a prompt which said "if you're having trouble making or receiving calls, we're aware of the issue and are working diligently to resolve it."  

I'm now on hold like I was before when I called 800-639-6111.  I doubt they'll be able to give me a better answer, but I'm going to wait anyway as this is a HUGE problem for us.  

I just registered on this forums because I am having the exact same issue. Interestingly it is with the 2 most important phones on our business line.

MReiser4670 for your phone lines that aren't working do they all have the same middle 3 digits. As in AreaCode-HERE###HERE-####?

I just registered on this forums because I am having the exact same issue. Interestingly it is with the 2 most important phones on our business line.

MReiser4670 for your phone lines that aren't working do they all have the same middle 3 digits. As in AreaCode-HERE###HERE-####?

Yes, they all have the same exchange.  However, that's because they were all part of our original contract with Nextel.  That may be coincidence, but I'm not sure.  

I just tried calling two on my numbers from my desk phone that were Nextel till Black Friday of last year when I got my $0.99 G3 at Sam's Club and moved to Sprint.  I had dial tone, dialed....and crickets.....no message, no ring, no nothing.  And were are in southwest Michigan (269-998-xxxx) and I don't think we are considered the "east coast" in most people's eye.

Yes, they all have the same exchange.  However, that's because they were all part of our original contract with Nextel.  That may be coincidence, but I'm not sure.  

I have 8 #s on the same line. If the word for the 3 digits in the middle is the exchange than all phones on one exchange are not working. Unfortunately that exchange has my 2 most important phones. Do you know what exactly the issue is and how soon it will be resolved?

I have 8 #s on the same line. If the word for the 3 digits in the middle is the exchange than all phones on one exchange are not working. Unfortunately that exchange has my 2 most important phones. Do you know what exactly the issue is and how soon it will be resolved?

See the link posted above:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages/2013-July/005765.html

[outages] Sprint: "We don't need those servers over there, turn them off"

Tony Patti tony at swalter.com 

Mon Jul 15 11:33:50 EDT 2013

Sprint is having a cell phone outage affecting the entire east coast,

any phone which was EVER on the Nextel network, even if subsequently moved

to Sprint years ago, calls not going through.

ETTR 1pm CST.

Apparently Sprint shut down the servers which controlled the Nextel network,

after shutting down the Nextel network itself two weeks ago,

not taking into consideration that turning off those Nextel servers would

break the ability to use many Sprint phones.

"Unintended consequences"

Tony Patti

CIO

S. Walter Packaging

I'd be willing to bet the lines affected were once on the Nextel network, while the phone lines that work were opened up as Sprint.

Didn't know about this site..... http://downdetector.com/status/sprint/map

I was able to make an ex-Nextel/current-Sprint to ex-Nextel/current-Sprint voice call, but calling either number (269-998-xxxx) from a landland (not sure of the provider) still gives silence.

Many people will leave Sprint over this.  This is a multi billion dollar company. People at Sprint are not doing their jobs!

• Like 1

Many people will leave Sprint over this.  This is a multi billion dollar company. People at Sprint are not doing their jobs!

I really hope this post was meant as a joke...

I alerted a few family members that were Nextel to Sprint converts, hopefully the issue is already resolved.  As digi noted, it's probably just an overlooked switching/routing issue.

I really hope this post was meant as a joke...

I alerted a few family members that were Nextel to Sprint converts, hopefully the issue is already resolved.  As digi noted, it's probably just an overlooked switching/routing issue.

:D

Was any of your phones having data issues too. Curious as my mom's phone used to be a Nextel # and today we were trying to use Google maps and the phone was saying "couldn't connect to server" But it's all working now. I wonder if that's why the phone wasn't working though.