Verizon to start refarming PCS spectrum for LTE in 2015

ericdabbs

Look for Verizon to also be aggressive with LTE Advanced. According to Palmer, the company will deploy LTE Advanced features such as carrier aggregation strategically where it needs it. She declined to give a timeframe for deploying LTE Advanced but said that Verizon is aggressively looking at carrier aggregation for its 700 MHz and AWS spectrum.

Read more: Verizon to start refarming PCS spectrum for LTE in 2015 - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-start-refarming-pcs-spectrum-lte-2015/2013-06-27#ixzz2XR7VKzpy 

Subscribe at FierceWireless

I thought Big Red's 750Mhz LTE base stations and antennas were all Rel 8 and couldn't support the new versions of LTE?  Maybe with the AWS spectrum deployment they are replacing/updating cabinets with newer equipment?

• Like 1

I read an article that states VZW plans to go LTE only in 2014, that's pretty drastic considering if their LTE network ever goes down, their customers don't have another data connection to fall back on.

(Not sure if your article states that, sorry I didn't read, but I thought I would put this out there)

-Luis

I thought Big Red's 750Mhz LTE base stations and antennas were all Rel 8 and couldn't support the new versions of LTE?  Maybe with the AWS spectrum deployment they are replacing/updating cabinets with newer equipment?

I'm sure they have the $$ to push through an NV-like project pretty quickly, since their existing footprint is basically on 800 or 1900mhz spacing.

• Like 1

I am curious if Verizon plans to follow Sprint and ATT and upgrade its network equipment to install RRUs up next to the panels instead of ground mounted radios.  I mean if they have to upgrade anyways to add AWS LTE and other things to be LTE-Advanced compliant, I don't see why Verizon wouldn't invest the capital in infrastructure to do so. 

I am curious if Tmobile's approach with the Ericcson AIR panels (radio+antenna combined) is the future of wireless antenna deployment.

They have been pulling permits for AWS antennas in CT for over six months and it doesn't say anything about replacing cabinets or anything like that. all it says is they are replacing 3 PCS for 3 AWS.

Edit: so I just went back and looked at the permits and they are replacing most or all the antennas but are not using multi mode antennas. So it's 3 PCS 3 AWS 3 cellular 3 LTE.

They have been pulling permits for AWS antennas in CT for over six months and it doesn't say anything about replacing cabinets or anything like that. all it says is they are replacing 3 PCS for 3 AWS.

So they are replacing PCS only antennas with PCS/AWS combo antennas?

In Tucson they're running one hybrid cable up the tower to a junction box and splitting the fiber off to 1 alcalu AWS RRU per sector, generally behind one dedicated AWS panel. None of the plans involve any retrofit to existing equipment.

• Like 1

I would guess Verizon will pick whatever offers them the lowest total lifecycle costs - capital costs be darned.

It seems more like this would be the other way around - keeping capital costs down at the expense of running costs.

Just found another Tucson plan that does involve replacement of some non-AWS equipment at the same time.. but they're running a pair of 1 5/8" coax up the tower for some of the new panels in addition to the hybriflex and reusing 12 existing coax. No RRUs other than the 1/sector for AWS.

• Like 1

I'm sure they have the $$ to push through an NV-like project pretty quickly, since their existing footprint is basically on 800 or 1900mhz spacing.

Solely having money will not guarantee a quick network overhaul considering union crews are involved.Union crews can only complete as much work as they have manpower. Contract crews help to provide additional bandwidth when needed. Sprint only used contractors, thus speeding up the process tremendously. The only real benefit Verizon will have is their backhaul and some equipment is already in place. I expect for them to have just as long of a process if not longer. Although by then Sprint's network should be nearing completion, possibly with tri-band LTE advanced and 1XA covering almost all.

I cant wait to hear the network experience opinions of the people who jump at the first LTE only handsets. Hopefully, they will be priced more aggressively thus creating an artificial draw to them for some of the very penny pinchers who take to the forums to sprint hate

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

I cant wait to hear the network experience opinions of the people who jump at the first LTE only handsets. Hopefully, they will be priced more aggressively thus creating an artificial draw to them for some of the very penny pinchers who take to the forums to sprint hate

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

I doubt it, once a Sprint hater, always a Sprint hater, according to Sprintusers.com

• Like 2

Solely having money will not guarantee a quick network overhaul considering union crews are involved.Union crews can only complete as much work as they have manpower. Contract crews help to provide additional bandwidth when needed. Sprint only used contractors, thus speeding up the process tremendously. The only real benefit Verizon will have is their backhaul and some equipment is already in place. I expect for them to have just as long of a process if not longer. Although by then Sprint's network should be nearing completion, possibly with tri-band LTE advanced and 1XA covering almost all.

I find it hard to believe VZW uses union anything.

I find it hard to believe VZW uses union anything.

..they do in Toledo, OH ( I talked to a few )...but, I saw 6 Alcatel Lucent vans going through the town and they ended up with brand new big fat panels. There's squared big ones.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

..they do in Toledo, OH ( I talked to a few )...but, I saw 6 Alcatel Lucent vans going through the town and they ended up with brand new big fat panels. There's squared big ones.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I stand corrected, I forgot Lucent or whatever they are called now has CWA/IBEW members.

Union crews can only complete as much work as they have manpower.

Am I misunderstanding something? Isn't the ability to perform manual labor always limited by manpower availability, regardless of union affiliation?

I am curious if Verizon plans to follow Sprint and ATT and upgrade its network equipment to install RRUs up next to the panels instead of ground mounted radios.  I mean if they have to upgrade anyways to add AWS LTE and other things to be LTE-Advanced compliant, I don't see why Verizon wouldn't invest the capital in infrastructure to do so. 

I am curious if Tmobile's approach with the Ericcson AIR panels (radio+antenna combined) is the future of wireless antenna deployment.

In the next 2-3 years, AIR-like solutions are gonna be the norm as you're effectively eliminating most unwanted signal loss at the sectors. 

I've been meaning to bring to your attention that Ubidyne already has 3GPP2 solution for Antenna Integrated Radios, so that's coming. Hoping that Sprint will look into this solution. http://www.pegasplanet.com/news/000009797Picture.jpg

That said, I'm already seeing existing Verizon eNb cell sites with RRUs added!

Months ago: http://i.imgur.com/SghZWkk.jpg

Now: http://i.imgur.com/Hx0RAeo.jpg

In the next 2-3 years, AIR-like solutions are gonna be the norm as you're effectively eliminating most unwanted signal loss at the sectors. 

I've been meaning to bring to your attention that Ubidyne already has 3GPP2 solution for Antenna Integrated Radios, so that's coming. Hoping that Sprint will look into this solution. http://www.pegasplanet.com/news/000009797Picture.jpg

That said, I'm already seeing existing Verizon eNb cell sites with RRUs added!

Months ago: http://i.imgur.com/SghZWkk.jpg

Now: http://i.imgur.com/Hx0RAeo.jpg

But correct me if I'm wrong, they are only deploying RRUs for their AWS panels, not legacy 700mhz and 1900/800 panels, correct? So basically they are adding more panels per site?

But correct me if I'm wrong, they are only deploying RRUs for their AWS panels, not legacy 700mhz and 1900/800 panels, correct? So basically they are adding more panels per site?

I think these are multimode 700/AWS now with RRU. 800/1900 is where their CDMA stuff is that's separate. Verizon has so much funding, who knows what next lol...

I think these are multimode 700/AWS now with RRU. 800/1900 is where their CDMA stuff is that's separate. Verizon has so much funding, who knows what next lol...

Ok makes sense.

What would be nice is if we can see the FCC document that shows what band classes these Verizon RRUs support to confirm that is multimodal 700/AWS.