Funding ideas

Might i ask why does this site cost so much to run? Please tell me this is not a being paid for through a hosted provider. In terms of usage what is the amout of bandwith you guys are using per month.

IP Board can be self hosted.

Is it a problem of maintaining a server or two yourself? The big question to me is, what is going to happen when NV is complete and traffic slows down to this site. Where is the money going to come from? There is only so big of a user base for this content.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/?p=23545

• Like 1

Might i ask why does this site cost so much to run? Please tell me this is not a being paid for through a hosted provider. In terms of usage what is the amout of bandwith you guys are using per month.

IP Board can be self hosted.

Is it a problem of maintaining a server or two yourself? The big question to me is, what is going to happen when NV is complete and traffic slows down to this site. Where is the money going to come from? There is only so big of a user base for this content.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/?p=23545

Thanks for the link. I see what Roberts getting at. I donated some more yesterday to help. I understand he may not have the time to manage the hardware and backups himself. Ip Board plans are just so much money for the amount of users there are.

I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to running a site. I look at the money spent on hosting and see the amount hardware that could be bought.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

The big question to me is, what is going to happen when NV is complete and traffic slows down to this site. Where is the money going to come from? There is only so big of a user base for this content.

We will cross that bridge when we come to it.  By that point, S4GRU may have run its course, so we call it a wrap.  Alternatively, S4GRU may have built up enough groundswell to transition into an ad supported general purpose Sprint or wireless industry site.

AJ

• Like 6

Thanks for the link. I see what Roberts getting at. I donated some more yesterday to help. I understand he may not have the time to manage the hardware and backups himself. Ip Board plans are just so much money for the amount of users there are.

I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to running a site. I look at the money spent on hosting and see the amount hardware that could be bought.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your support.  Currently, we are taking in enough money to meet our expenses, thanks to people like you.

Robert

• Like 3

Maybe by that point sprint will acquire or build a rural network (such as western Kansas) . Always something to keep an eye on. New devices if nothing else. :-P

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Maybe by that point sprint will acquire or build a rural network (such as western Kansas) . Always something to keep an eye on. New devices if nothing else. :-P

My guess is that the SoftBank-Sprint-Clearwire knot up and subsequent BRS/EBS 2600 MHz rollout will extend the deployment tracking element of S4GRU by another year or so beyond the expected completion of the current Network Vision rollout.

Another thought, since the transaction is already a three way among SoftBank-Sprint-Clearwire, maybe it could be expanded to SoftBank-Sprint-Clearwire-S4GRU.  I am sure that addendum would pass DoJ and FCC muster in about five minutes.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

My guess is that the SoftBank-Sprint-Clearwire knot up and subsequent BRS/EBS 2600 MHz rollout will extend the deployment tracking element of S4GRU by another year or so beyond the expected completion of the current Network Vision rollout.

Another thought, since the transaction is already a three way among SoftBank-Sprint-Clearwire, maybe it could be expanded to SoftBank-Sprint-Clearwire-S4GRU.  I am sure that addendum would pass DoJ and FCC muster in about five minutes.

;)

AJ

All in favor of EBS/BRS rollout say "I". A poll emerges in the Sponsor section; unanimous decision in favor of the motion and we have tri band Lte from Sprint!

I like the addendum. Not so sure how Son would feel about "us" having such a large collective voice on his wireless decisions, but i think if i could talk to him i would iron out any unsettled nerves. 

• Like 4

google adsense, Money can go from there to funding this site.

Why would that mean ads could not be used? If all funds from the ads are devoted / invested to the site then there would be no profit made.

Nope, guys, accepting ads would mean that S4GRU is a commercial site, and that might mean the party is over. Forget the ads.

Do you not think that we have considered these possibilities already? If circumstances change, then we may change our funding methods, but not right now.

AJ

The big question to me is, what is going to happen when NV is complete and traffic slows down to this site. Where is the money going to come from? There is only so big of a user base for this content.

We will cross that bridge when we come to it. By that point, S4GRU may have run its course, so we call it a wrap. Alternatively, S4GRU may have built up enough groundswell to transition into an ad supported general purpose Sprint or wireless industry site.

AJ

We can or can't have ads?

We will cross that bridge when we come to it. By that point, S4GRU may have run its course, so we call it a wrap. Alternatively, S4GRU may have built up enough groundswell to transition into an ad supported general purpose Sprint or wireless industry site.

AJ

If you shut it down, can you provide a torrent of the entire site?

So much knowledge.

I'd especially be interested in the maps????

We can or can't have ads?

Please go back and read my previous posts (from this very thread):

• For internal source and Sprint based reasons, S4GRU needs to remain a non profit educational site.
  • A $5 required donation suggests to people that a $5 donation is sufficient.  In actuality, S4GRU requires many times that amount per sponsor to keep the site running.

Nope, guys, accepting ads would mean that S4GRU is a commercial site, and that might mean the party is over.  Forget the ads.

Do you not think that we have considered these possibilities already?  If circumstances change, then we may change our funding methods, but not right now.

AJ

If you shut it down, can you provide a torrent of the entire site?

So much knowledge.

I'd especially be interested in the maps

Upon site shutdown, the entire S4GRU archive will be available as a brain implant chip, but only for Über Mega Premier Sponsors.

AJ

• Like 3

I haven't read the whole thread, so please forgive me if this has been brought up before but what if Robert and other contributing authors make a podcast and put in the sponsors section. I think it might get some members and non-renewals to take the plunge. I think it would probably be both entertaining and informative.

• Like 2

I haven't read the whole thread, so please forgive me if this has been brought up before but what if Robert and other contributing authors make a podcast and put in the sponsors section. I think it might get some members and non-renewals to take the plunge. I think it would probably be both entertaining and informative.

He has a family and a job. I think he's fully allocated.

• Like 1

He has a family and a job. I think he's fully allocated.

It doesn't have to be weekly or even very long and heck it doesn't even have to be Robert. I understand that he has a busy life and wasn't trying to make it seem like he could just hop on an hour and a half podcast, but this IS the funding ideas thread and I thought that it was at least worthy of consideration.

And really the time thing is just how much time you want to put into it. Some people just record and post without even editing, some spend hours trying make sure everything is as perfect as possible, it really just depends on whose doing it.

A podcast is an intriguing idea.  But what would you want to hear discussed on a potential podcast?  What could be covered that is not already hashed out many ways here in The Forums and on The Wall?

AJ

I love the idea of a podcast. The range of issues that could be discussed is pretty wide.

1. A recap of new NV developments since the the previous podcast.

2. Discussion of Sprint related news. New products, promotions, stock talk, acquisitions.

3. Informed speculation on future wireless technology as it relates to Sprint and it's competitors.

4. The Digi corner with quick overviews of notable changes to the most recent and commonly used PRLs.

5. Periodic updates from AJ's travels with his infamous spectrum analyzer.

6. Josh could check in periodically to ask if any of the new phones support SVDO. Or he or AJ could give us a nice back and forth banter about the latest devices that have passed through the FCC

7. BBQ

8. A Google Voice number could be set up for Sponsors to call in and leave questions for the amazing staff to answer during the podcast.

9. A recap and discussion of Wall articles.

10. Did I mention fried chicken? No? Ok, fried chicken.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

I could see this working out on a once a month basis or something like that.

If needed everyone could record their segment separately and just email it to someone to assemble all the clips together with a little talk between segments to pull it all together.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We did do a Goggle Hangout after the iDen countdown, that was interesting. Something like that?

Not sure how that works but if it is an audio based roundtable type deal that would be neat. I have seen sites do a blog talk radio show deal where people call in and there is a chat room as well.

Not sure how that works but if it is an audio based roundtable type deal that would be neat. I have seen sites do a blog talk radio show deal where people call in and there is a chat room as well.

Video based roundtable

Maybe we should start selling S4GRU celebrity memorabilia.  For example, we could buy a bunch of spare micro-USB phone chargers.  I could use a new one or two every day to charge my handsets and tablets.  Then, S4GRU members would have the amazing opportunity to bid on chargers *actually used* by the illustrious AJ.

;)

AJ

• Like 7