Funding ideas

I love the idea of a podcast. The range of issues that could be discussed is pretty wide.

6. Josh could check in periodically to ask if any of the new phones support SVDO. Or he or AJ could give us a nice back and forth banter about the latest devices that have passed through the FCC

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My voice sounds horrible on recording. And who cares about SVDO. Give me my Tri-Band LTE phones! :)

• Like 1

Gang...

Funny how I was thinking of what could be done to raise the sponsorship on the forum and here there is a thread on it,,,, haaaaa

So. What I was going to suggest was to allow any of the non-sponsoring members a chance to see what they COULD have access to if they made a donation; a la preview day. If not technically possible then perhaps a day is selected at random in any given month where any non-sponsor can have such access.

Maybe is possible to have Robert include a CODE with the new members email he sends so they can access the site for a specified amount of time; anything from a few hours to a full day.

Offer a day pass... a la theme park...

Credits/bonus for specific donations.

@l3x

• Like 1

A podcast is an intriguing idea.  But what would you want to hear discussed on a potential podcast?  What could be covered that is not already hashed out many ways here in The Forums and on The Wall?

AJ

I think you could have a mobile telephony history section where you could go over some regional carrier/operator that would inevitably be bought by ATT or Verizon. Or maybe have a "market of the [however often you record]" where you would go over who's hoarding spectrum in that market and so on.

Gang...

Funny how I was thinking of what could be done to raise the sponsorship on the forum and here there is a thread on it,,,, haaaaa

So. What I was going to suggest was to allow any of the non-sponsoring members a chance to see what they COULD have access to if they made a donation; a la preview day. If not technically possible then perhaps a day is selected at random in any given month where any non-sponsor can have such access.

Maybe is possible to have Robert include a CODE with the new members email he sends so they can access the site for a specified amount of time; anything from a few hours to a full day.

Offer a day pass... a la theme park...

Credits/bonus for specific donations.

@l3x

A few of us talked about this and the problem we found was that the time needed to fully administer this idea is lacking from those that would be able to do it.  What we do have for that is sponsors sponsoring other members.  Again though, there is the issue with managing the site and those with access.

the best thing is to continue to inform users of the sponsoring levels, let them know there is no real minimum and they will sponsor.

• Like 1

A few of us talked about this and the problem we found was that the time needed to fully administer this idea is lacking from those that would be able to do it. What we do have for that is sponsors sponsoring other members. Again though, there is the issue with managing the site and those with access.

the best thing is to continue to inform users of the sponsoring levels, let them know there is no real minimum and they will sponsor.

"No real minimum"

That's an excellent idea! Just put a BIG sign saying "no minimum to become a sponsor"

• 3 weeks later...

He has a family and a job. I think he's fully allocated.

Well then we will need to chip in and purchase Google Glass for Robert....   And pay someone to develop that S4GRU app and you can access him at all hours he is awake.

We should also make a custom chicken grease guard for him to go with said Google Glass.

• Like 1

id pay money for a dislike button lol

at the very least an ID 10 T button

If there were dislike buttons here, I'd be significantly less inclined to stick around.  Every forum I've been involved with that used such 'negative reinforcement' never came out with 'positive' results from it, and usually it was a detriment to the overall atmosphere of the community over the long run.   The only real time such a thing really needs be used in the first place are for people who are obvious cancers to the health of the community to whatever degree, and honestly, that's what having forum moderators is for....to deal with such cancers.

• Like 3

If there were dislike buttons here, I'd be significantly less inclined to stick around.  Every forum I've been involved with that used such 'negative reinforcement' never came out with 'positive' results from it, and usually it was a detriment to the overall atmosphere of the community over the long run.   The only real time such a thing really needs be used in the first place are for people who are obvious cancers to the health of the community to whatever degree, and honestly, that's what having forum moderators is for....to deal with such cancers.

I agree for the most part although I think what would be best in this case would be allowing negatives or positives to cancel each other out.  The extremely high or extremely low ratings could/should then be immediately flagged and available to the moderators to determine the validity in either case.

can i donate my starbucks points for equivalent  cash??  

Robert do like caffeine.  Just do not call him "Bob."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAx2MDtxeQ8

:P

AJ

• Like 1

I agree for the most part although I think what would be best in this case would be allowing negatives or positives to cancel each other out.  The extremely high or extremely low ratings could/should then be immediately flagged and available to the moderators to determine the validity in either case.

That's way too much work (or better yet, trouble) than it would ever be worth for a moderator to ever want to go through, especially when doing so on a purely volunteer basis.  The same thing is accomplished anyway with just 'likes' alone, because those who would otherwise be 'disliked' will only ever have little to no 'likes'.  

Personally speaking though, I'm actually fine with a forum as well as its posters and their content standing on their own legs and let that be that without any likes or dislikes either one, myself.  I'd value the content this site and many of its posters bring just as much if I couldn't 'like' certain posts or see that others did. Everyone has their own unique opinions and ideas about things, and I know in my own mind if I like someone's input or not without having to have it validated through the 'likes' of others.  Granted, if the system is there, I'll participate in it too, but it doesn't really add anything to my enjoyment of what I read here that would be missed if it suddenly went away.

• Like 1

That's way too much work (or better yet, trouble) than it would ever be worth for a moderator to ever want to go through, especially when doing so on a purely volunteer basis.  The same thing is accomplished anyway with just 'likes' alone, because those who would otherwise be 'disliked' will only ever have little to no 'likes'.  

Personally speaking though, I'm actually fine with a forum as well as its posters and their content standing on their own legs and let that be that without any likes or dislikes either one, myself.  I'd value the content this site and many of its posters bring just as much if I couldn't 'like' certain posts or see that others did. Everyone has their own unique opinions and ideas about things, and I know in my own mind if I like someone's input or not without having to have it validated through the 'likes' of others.  Granted, if the system is there, I'll participate in it too, but it doesn't really add anything to my enjoyment of what I read here that would be missed if it suddenly went away.

I'm not saying it's ideal and I understand how hard moderation is, I was more referring to the ability for user moderated abuse fixes or to push a comment into irrelevancy.  Here on S4gru it is much easier than larger sites inasmuch as moderation is concerned and much less tolerance for abuse of the t&c.  

I wouldn't discount an algorithm though that could focus on some sort "user generated" negativity that could essentially embolden non-staff members to push irrelevant, spammy, rude etc. violators out into obscurity.   Kind of like a hybrid weighted trust meter.

I wouldn't discount an algorithm though that could focus on some sort "user generated" negativity that could essentially embolden non-staff members to push irrelevant, spammy, rude etc. violators out into obscurity.   Kind of like a hybrid weighted trust meter.

That already exists in a simpler non-algorithmic form.  It's called the Report button.  ;)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...