Getting porked: the BBQ discussion thread

nobius

This thread went from too many offtopic comments to no discussion at all. 

Which is better to eat while tower spotting: Texas vs KC barbecue.  Discuss.  :P

Edit:  most of these posts were split from the sites complete and sites accepted thread:  

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1120-comments-related-to-nv-sites-complete-site-acceptance-update-threads/page-291

• Like 1

This thread went from too many offtopic comments to no discussion at all.

Which is better to eat while tower spotting: Texas vs KC barbecue. Discuss. :P

Neither. Come to SC for some good BBQ.

Stuck on the Poor Man's HTC for now.

• Like 2

This thread went from too many offtopic comments to no discussion at all.

Which is better to eat while tower spotting: Texas vs KC barbecue. Discuss. :P

Murphysboro, IL has 17th Street the only 3 time world champions of barbecue. The world championships are held in Memphis. That's a pretty killer BBQ city too. Everyone talks about KC and Texas, yet those places get glossed over when they more than hold their own.

• Like 1

Murphysboro, IL has 17th Street the only 3 time world champions of barbecue. The world championships are held in Memphis. That's a pretty killer BBQ city too. Everyone talks about KC and Texas, yet those places get glossed over when they more than hold their own.

Memphis BBQ is good too.  Had some good stuff when I was in Nashville last year.  Haven't had Carolina style yet.  I hear their pulled pork is something special.

Memphis BBQ is good too. Had some good stuff when I was in Nashville last year. Haven't had Carolina style yet. I hear their pulled pork is something special.

Not all Carolina BBQ is created equal. That crap up in NC is nothing compared to what we have going on in SC.

Pulled pork is known as BBQ here. Ask for a BBQ sandwich and you'll get a pulled pork sandwich. Ask for a pulled pork sandwich and they'll know you aren't a local.

And whatever you do. Get the Mustard based sauce. Vinegar and ketchup based sauces are too overbearing on the meat flavors.

• Like 3

Not all Carolina BBQ is created equal. That crap up in NC is nothing compared to what we have going on in SC.

Pulled pork is known as BBQ here. Ask for a BBQ sandwich and you'll get a pulled pork sandwich. Ask for a pulled pork sandwich and they'll know you aren't a local.

And whatever you do. Get the Mustard based sauce. Vinegar and ketchup based sauces are too overbearing on the meat flavors.

I prefer to make my own pulled pork in the smoker. but if i get back down south, i will try it out

• Like 1

I prefer to make my own pulled pork in the smoker. but if i get back down south, i will try it out

What wood do you smoke your pork in? I use a charcoal smoker with mesquite lump and a combo of Jack Daniels and Tabasco white oak barrel chips. Best pulled pork ever!

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I guess John and Robert should have a contest to see which one pulls his own pork better.

:P

AJ

• Like 4

What wood do you smoke your pork in? I use a charcoal smoker with mesquite lump and a combo of Jack Daniels and Tabasco white oak barrel chips. Best pulled pork ever!

BBQ. What you meant to say was BBQ.

Every done pulled chicken? :)

Sent from my little Note2

Definitely. You ever come to New Mexico, you can join me in pulled chicken.

• Like 1

I think you missed this joke playing on AJ's joke ;)

Oh, I didn't miss it. Just playing right along.

• Like 3

Omg now I'm really hungry now. Hospital food blows compared to how that sounds.
  • Like 1

Eastern Carolina barbecue rocks, the best of the best!! By the way I'm talkin' 'bout de real Carolina (NORTH). It'll even make U forget that no Sprint lte coverage east of I-95  :lol:

I called 311 earlier today and negotiated my way to someone who could explain why there were a lot of 'holds' on Sprint tower permits in NE Mecklenberg county. While I don't believe she knew what she was talking about, she did admit the holds had to do with improper electrical wiring......

I am headed to my favorite barbecue joint!!!

• Like 1

Tabasco, is good but Franks Red Hot or a new sauce I found called Cackalacky, its a sweet potato based hot sauce that gives a better taste after slow cooking.    We need to start a thread about food and cooking LOL! :lol:

All this talk about BBQ... and food...  so off topic and making me hungry... 

oh well... my contribution to making everyone else hungry as well...9iwMBku.jpg

• Like 2

Tabasco, is good but Franks Red Hot or a new sauce I found called Cackalacky, its a sweet potato based hot sauce that gives a better taste after slow cooking. We need to start a thread about food and cooking LOL! :lol:

I was referring to Tabasco white oak barrel wood smoking chips for a meat smoker. But I agreed for hot sauces, Tabasco is not a favorite of mine.

To add to the debate, I coincidentally last night had Beef on Bun at Gates and Sons BBQ -- the king of Kansas City BBQ and maker of the world's best BBQ sauce.

AJ

Been many years since I was there and sampled it but I'll definitely second this, some of the best food I've eaten to date still.  I skipped lunch and got the sampler platter of a smaller portion of everything for (at the time) about $21-22.  

Oh, and I'm glad to see (AJ's slant aside) all the talk of pulled pork, I get tired of people who fixate on ribs when it comes to BBQ.  Not saying I don't like ribs, but most of the time I'd take pulled pork regardless of the region its from over ribs.

At the obvious and blatant risk of taking AJ's tangent and making it even worse, I think the reason for that is that pulled pork gets you more bang-for-the-buck in terms of the (portion) size of the meat.