Getting porked: the BBQ discussion thread

nobius

How do you filter your used deep fryer oil?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't.

I let it cool and pour it back into the container I use to store it.

Pour slow and whatever settled at the bottom stays in the cooking pot until I wash it to put it away until next use.

Works well enough for me.

Stuck on the Poor Man's HTC for now.

Which is better to eat while tower spotting: Texas vs KC barbecue.  Discuss.  :P

Texas! BBQ capital of the universe.  :tu:

• Like 1

To add to the debate, I coincidentally last night had Beef on Bun at Gates and Sons BBQ -- the king of Kansas City BBQ and maker of the world's best BBQ sauce.

AJ

Have you tried Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce? Good lawd!! :P

• Like 1

I don't.

I let it cool and pour it back into the container I use to store it.

Pour slow and whatever settled at the bottom stays in the cooking pot until I wash it to put it away until next use.

Works well enough for me.

That, or panty hose. lol

Don't hate on me (I'm a diabetic)... do you guys have any good suggestions for recipes or store-bought BBQ sauces don't have sugar? 

Sorry, no.  Your best bet is it make it yourself using low-sugar ketchup.  I googled "sugarless barbecue sauce recipe" and found several recipes that you can try.  Good luck.

Don't hate on me (I'm a diabetic)... do you guys have any good suggestions for recipes or store-bought BBQ sauces don't have sugar?

Best I can tell you, pick your favorite sauce and have whatever you use to drop your blood sugar levels handy.

Have you tried Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce? Good lawd!! :P

I saw a banner for it behind the plate of the Indians/Rangers game on TV on Wednesday. It looks tempting, but alas my dietary restrictions prevent me from having it.

Have you tried Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce? Good lard!! :P

I fixed your quote.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

I fixed your quote.

;)

AJ

I prefer to use manteca when referring to lard. Lard sounds so fattening/gross, but if people use exotic/foreign words, it doesn't sound as bad (OK, not really...) LOL

I saw a banner for it behind the plate of the Indians/Rangers game on TV on Wednesday. It looks tempting, but alas my dietary restrictions prevent me from having it.

That is highly unfortunate...it is quite delicious. 

I prefer to use manteca when referring to lard. Lard sounds so fattening/gross, but if people use exotic/foreign words, it doesn't sound as bad (OK, not really...) LOL

Lard, manteca, just ask for extra fat, please.

Speaking of which, family members of one of my best friends growing up would go out for Chinese food and request extra MSG.  Needless to say, they were not the most healthy, physically fit people.

AJ

• Like 1

Lard, manteca, just ask for extra fat, please.

Speaking of which, family members of one of my best friends growing up would go out for Chinese food and request extra MSG. Needless to say, they were not the most healthy, physically fit people.

AJ

Fat = Flavor. I immediately stop talking to anyone who disagrees with that.

My favorite (beef) cut is prime rib because of the fat content (and because of the proximity to the bone.)

My friend said her favorite cut was filet mignon... I gave her a dirty look. She also said she liked medium well I believe. Medium rare is the best fot beef IMO (even more so for burgers - weird, I know). I think my biggest meat pet peeve is when I get meat that is cooked wrong. Many times in the past I would ask for medium-rare and it come over-cooked. Now I usually ask for rare. Uhh!

Back to fat... take pork for instance. My favorite cuts are the fattier ones like bacon and pork butt.

I think the idea of eating healthy goes out the door when you go out to eat. Don't get me wrong - you can eat responsibly (e.g. not asking for extra MSG) - but every restaurant has to serve with a good quotient of unhealthiness. If everything was healthy, there would be no flavor; no flavor would result in no business. Thus, limiting eating out is a healthy proposition.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Medium rare or less for any beef.

And if my steak, preferably a New York Strip, needs anything other than salt, pepper and a dry rub I don't want it and fire the grill master.

I just love a great Black Angus Ribeye about 1.5 thick. Add a little Greek seasoning, wow.....makes my mouth water. Hey tomorrow is Fathers day, I have 4 in freezer, guess what I'm having?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I just love a great Black Angus Ribeye about 1.5 thick. Add a little Greek seasoning, wow.....makes my mouth water. Hey tomorrow is Fathers day, I have 4 in freezer, guess what I'm having?

A coronary followed by a triple bypass?

:P

AJ

• Like 2

esq-25-horizon-smoker-company-1212-mdn.j

We used a smoker like this when I went to BBQ U with Steve Raichlen several years ago. Had a great 3 days BBQing, grilling, and smoking.

This is a Horizon smoker and is very will built. Saving up to purchase one.

esq-25-horizon-smoker-company-1212-mdn.j

We used a smoker like this when I went to BBQ U with Steve Raichlen several years ago. Had a great 3 days BBQing, grilling, and smoking.

This is a Horizon smoker and is very will built. Saving up to purchase one.

That contraption must have been designed by Dr. Arliss Loveless.

Loveless.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

The steaks are marinating, and the ribs are rubbed down for a father's day cookout.

Hope you all have a great father's day of your own!

• Like 2

The steaks are marinating, and the ribs are rubbed down for a father's day cookout.

Hope you all have a great father's day of your own!

Speaking of steaks marinating, does anyone have a good recipe for using Dr. Pepper as a marinade/tenderizing agent. I've seen Coca-Cola, and Dr. Pepper would be that much better.

• 1 year later...

/Resurrect!

So far I have this:

7d973c4950bb1b25dcc943c5cde4bad2.jpg

And this:

0a556010749df982b5110b69eab0b3e5.jpg

As for what's going on the Weber grill, it'll be beef fillet steak (marinaded) and what we call boerewors (sausage of sorts). Then also BBQ toasted sandwiches.

Edit: coming along nicely...

6a1444bb88a14abbbde10be6e7db5e44.jpg

Edit2: #ChowDown

4a4776be2a5acefb726d3167df51b36b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4