Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

Since they started in the Rochester Metro area, Samsung has been flying on the Sprint LTE deployment.  Probably one of the fastest deployments we have seen in a city this size.  It's been pretty impressive.

Robert

• Like 1

Since they started in the Rochester Metro area, Samsung has been flying on the Sprint LTE deployment.  Probably one of the fastest deployments we have seen in a city this size.  It's been pretty impressive.

Robert

NICE!!!! I am glad to hear!! Hopefully Rochester is next for an "Official Sprint launch city"! (My guess is it very well could be at this point)! :tu:  (Syracuse a close 2nd) I know I can't say too much in the public forums...  :) 

Since they started in the Rochester Metro area, Samsung has been flying on the Sprint LTE deployment. Probably one of the fastest deployments we have seen in a city this size. It's been pretty impressive.

Robert

This probably is due to the fact that they were behind on starting work on the market, there were quite a few delays before we actually saw stuff getting done is what I mean. I find it particularly impressive considering the weather we have been having as of late!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This probably is due to the fact that they were behind on starting work on the market, there were quite a few delays before we actually saw stuff getting done is what I mean. I find it particularly impressive considering the weather we have been having as of late!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It seems like whoever the backhaul provider is in this market was able to actually able to get a lot of work done before sites were getting complete. A nice change.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It seems like whoever the backhaul provider is in this market was able to actually able to get a lot of work done before sites were getting complete. A nice change.

Windstream bought Paetec a couple of years ago and they have a big presence here in Rochester.  I believe they are one of Sprint's backhaul providers.

Windstream bought Paetec a couple of years ago and they have a big presence here in Rochester.  I believe they are one of Sprint's backhaul providers.

Windstream, Paetec, Midtown Plaza..... That whole thing is an eye sore  :td:

For all the complainers out there let me refer you to Robert's Deployment List post. Specifically the completed site part

Markets complete with Network Vision Deployment (8):

• Ft. Wayne/South Bend - Complete August 2013
  • PR/VI - Complete August 2013
  • Western Pennsylvania - Compete September 2013 (LTE in future)
  • Shentel - Complete November 2013
  • East Iowa - Complete November 2013
  • Dakotas - Complete December 2013
  • Rochester - Complete January 2014
  • Inland Northwest - Complete January 2014

Yes Rochester is in an elite group of cities to have all of their towers NV complete. There are only 7 other cities in the WHOLE COUNTRY that can say the same.

• Like 1

For all the complainers out there let me refer you to Robert's Deployment List post. Specifically the completed site part

Yes Rochester is in an elite group of cities to have all of their towers NV complete. There are only 7 other cities in the WHOLE COUNTRY that can say the same.

That is only partially true.  There are some GMO sites in the Rochester market that may have the first part of NV but I wouldn't consider them NV complete until the GMO sites have the new antennas and are broadcasting LTE.  Still, good progress to be sure.

That is only partially true.  There are some GMO sites in the Rochester market that may have the first part of NV but I wouldn't consider them NV complete until the GMO sites have the new antennas and are broadcasting LTE.  Still, good progress to be sure.

Well considering Robert made the rules on what markets make the list I'd say it's completely true. The criteria for that list is not if they are 100% broadcasting LTE, just that they have NV complete.

We're in an elite market guys. There are plenty of markets in this country that wish they had what we have. You know the old phrase "the grass is always greener"? Well we're on the green side of that pasture

• Like 1

Nice!! I knew Rochester area was a good place to live minus the expensive New York state to live in...

Well considering Robert made the rules on what markets make the list I'd say it's completely true. The criteria for that list is not if they are 100% broadcasting LTE, just that they have NV complete.

We're in an elite market guys. There are plenty of markets in this country that wish they had what we have. You know the old phrase "the grass is always greener"? Well we're on the green side of that pasture

I totally agree there are some markets just barley have any NV complete, some may have all NV complete but no LTE started at all... "Elite! I like that!

"For all the complainers out there..."

Yes, these people.

Being the face of sub-par Sprint service 50+ hours a week has really taken it's toll over the last year or so. Constantly telling people to be patient and promising them (because I truly did believe it) that Sprint was putting in the work, spending the money and making things happen. I've had people scream, freak out, swear, attack me personally, all because they felt they weren't getting what they were paying for. 

And honestly, as a Sprint consumer, I would sometimes agree. Customer care handled this terribly. I'm not saying they should have made promises but I know from experience that they just didn't have the enthusiasm they should have when discussing what was right around the corner.

Any one that is still complaining about Sprint is quickly becoming a minority. Every day I receive phone calls asking me why their phone says LTE at the top? Even some of the worst critics in this area have started to come around. No matter how long its taking to get to YOUR house you have to admit that you can see the progression and improvement daily.

Its been a struggle, it will continue to be a struggle, but for anyone that doubts that Sprint has gone to lengths to bring us a new and vastly improved network experience can bite my shiny, metal, ass.

Now I'm off to practice being (even more of) an elitist prick. ELITE 8 BABY!

• Like 6

Yes, these people.

Being the face of sub-par Sprint service 50+ hours a week has really taken it's toll over the last year or so. Constantly telling people to be patient and promising them (because I truly did believe it) that Sprint was putting in the work, spending the money and making things happen. I've had people scream, freak out, swear, attack me personally, all because they felt they weren't getting what they were paying for. 

And honestly, as a Sprint consumer, I would sometimes agree. Customer care handled this terribly. I'm not saying they should have made promises but I know from experience that they just didn't have the enthusiasm they should have when discussing what was right around the corner.

Any one that is still complaining about Sprint is quickly becoming a minority. Every day I receive phone calls asking me why their phone says LTE at the top? Even some of the worst critics in this area have started to come around. No matter how long its taking to get to YOUR house you have to admit that you can see the progression and improvement daily.

Its been a struggle, it will continue to be a struggle, but for anyone that doubts that Sprint has gone to lengths to bring us a new and vastly improved network experience can bite my shiny, metal, ass.

Now I'm off to practice being (even more of) an elitist prick. ELITE 8 BABY!

I've never had an issuse with Sprint even before NV it was SOMETIMES a little frustrating when I tried streaming music (depending on where I was). I never have had a dropped call, unless I am up near the Adirondacks. I think Sprint is very good!! I always say "keep your head up high with a positive outlook and good things will come"!

• Like 2

I get your point.  However, converting a site to a GMO is part of NV1.0.  Future GMO upgrades are not in the NV1.0 plan.  Currently, the only thing we are able to measure is NV1.0.

While it is true that GMO's make up over a third of the Rochester market, these are mostly outside the metro area ring and rural locations.  This is more reflective of how much rural coverage Sprint has in this area.  And rural NV 3G tends to run at 1.5-2.5Mbps.  Good for almost everything you do on a smartphone and way better than Tmo EDGE or GPRS, which is unusable for doing more than possibly reading an email without attachments.

The folks in the Rochester market have ever reason to be happy now with how things are progressing.  I'm happy for you guys.  You could be like Albuquerque or Hawaii.  Other late round markets that are languishing.

Robert

• Like 2

I get your point.  However, converting a site to a GMO is part of NV1.0.  Future GMO upgrades are not in the NV1.0 plan.  Currently, the only thing we are able to measure is NV1.0.

While it is true that GMO's make up over a third of the Rochester market, these are mostly outside the metro area ring and rural locations.  This is more reflective of how much rural coverage Sprint has in this area.  And rural NV 3G tends to run at 1.5-2.5Mbps.  Good for almost everything you do on a smartphone and way better than Tmo EDGE or GPRS, which is unusable for doing more than possibly reading an email without attachments.

The folks in the Rochester market have ever reason to be happy now with how things are progressing.  I'm happy for you guys.  You could be like Albuquerque or Hawaii.  Other late round markets that are languishing.

Robert

Okay, so "technically" the GMO sites are NV 1.0 complete.  That is a nice statistic and helps probably 95% of the people.  At my home, the signal is marginal and I have been hoping the newer antennas and a full NV build was going to improve things, even a little.  Because the tower near my home is a GMO site, I get no real benefit as the signal is too intermittent to be useful for anything.  I guess I have to wait for NV 2.0...

I AM grateful that the main part of the city metro area is coming live with LTE.  Coverage is better than what we had with WiMax.

• Like 1

Whoa! That's actually pretty exciting news for me :-DSent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As of right now same crappy sprint bandwidth. In my house in fairport I'm pulling 9mb and my friends verizon is pulling 18mb. I thought that sprint ' s new network was going to be the most updated. It's early, I know. But to me, they still need to catch up. Then talk about passing them. Hey, I'm happy for going from 300kb To 9mb any day lol.

As of right now same crappy sprint bandwidth. In my house in fairport I'm pulling 9mb and my friends verizon is pulling 18mb. I thought that sprint ' s new network was going to be the most updated. It's early, I know. But to me, they still need to catch up. Then talk about passing them. Hey, I'm happy for going from 300kb To 9mb any day lol.

What kind of signal strength you getting? If you have a weakish Sprint signal, but the Verizon is strong then that can account for the difference. LTE has a fragile airlink. Performance degrades proportionate to the signal going down. There are many places Sprint will be faster too.

If 9Mbps is not fast enough inside your home, where most people don't even need LTE, then you should probably switch to Verizon. The 9Mbps may even go down some.