Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

12 LTE acceptances in the Rochester market posted today.  That's pretty spiffy!

Robert

Cool news.  Hopefully it means the tower nearest my work will get LTE accepted someday.  It seems like everything else except that one and the one near my home got updated. Ugh! LOL!

Cool news.  Hopefully it means the tower nearest my work will get LTE accepted someday.  It seems like everything else except that one and the one near my home got updated. Ugh! LOL!

Same goes for here in Canandaigua The downtown tower is LTE but not the uptown one.  The uptown tower has bigger coverage, the downtown tower is right near Canandaigua lake.  Sucks only half of Canandaigua city is LTE. Soon thought I am sure!  I am still trying to figure out if its TWC or Frontier as there back haul, I have feeling Frontier is not likely but I cant think of any other provider out this way that would make sense.  

Bailey road LTE active today. Getting 7-8 down 6 up with two bars of service inside. I sit in the middle of a big office, so I'm just thrilled that I can still pick up a decent signal. Now I don't have to worry about spotify cutting out all day.

Bailey road LTE active today. Getting 7-8 down 6 up with two bars of service inside. I sit in the middle of a big office, so I'm just thrilled that I can still pick up a decent signal. Now I don't have to worry about spotify cutting out all day.

Henrietta?  I was getting distant 3G service from the Jetview Drive tower while at RIT early this morning.  LTE flashed a few times, but I don't know where it was coming from.  I've seen intermittent LTE at RIT for the past several weeks.

Hello everyone, new guy here from the Buffalo area and I was just looking for some feedback.  

Every couple of months I spend a few days a week for a few weeks in the Rochester area for work.  I get put up at a motel and the whole 9 yards.  It's been a few months since I was in Rochester and the last time I was, was back in November when I still had Verizon.  Instead of doing my paperwork and such back the the stuffy motel room, I'll usually hit up the Wegman's on 441 & 250 or the Wegman's in Pittsford on Monroe, grab some pizza and wings, do some work, eat, VPN into the office in Buffalo, eat, people watch, do some more work, grab a coffee, finish up and go back to the motel room and crash into bed.  I'd rather not rely on the free wifi at the motel and at Wegmans and I need more upstream bandwidth then what is typically offered.  Right now I still have my Verizon USB air card still active and that works very well for what I need to do.  Prior to that I had a Sprint Air Card and always got awesome wimax service at the Pittsford Wegmans, even though the upload was capped at 1.5Mb, which was a killer.  Now I'm looking to switch the USB modem back to Sprint as well and get one that can do LTE, but I need some info on the LTE speeds, specifically in those two areas.  I usually stay in Henrietta off of 390, but I don't really care about reception there, since all I do is sleep and shower there, if I'm not at a job site, I'm at at either one of those two Wegman's in the cafe.

I see no LTE activity on Sensorly yet for Pittsford, but it looks like LTE is alive and well in Penfield.  Does anyone have any real world experience on what the speeds are like in that area or better yet inside of Wegman's.  Ideally for what I do, minimum 5Mb up and 5Mb down would be great.  I won't be back in Rochester for about another month, either last week of Feb or first week of March, depending on how things work out, so I still have some time, but if the LTE speeds are decent, I have no problem switching.  

Thanks for any input

Henrietta?  I was getting distant 3G service from the Jetview Drive tower while at RIT early this morning.  LTE flashed a few times, but I don't know where it was coming from.  I've seen intermittent LTE at RIT for the past several weeks.

Yeah, right near RIT by John Street.  I'm not sure where you had been picking up LTE prior to today at RIT unless they have been messing with this tower.  There should be another one active near crittenden and another near 252 by brighten/hen townline road.  However, today is the first day I've been able to pick up LTE inside where I work, and the Bailey st tower is the only one close by that would make sense. 

Hello everyone, new guy here from the Buffalo area and I was just looking for some feedback.  

Every couple of months I spend a few days a week for a few weeks in the Rochester area for work.  I get put up at a motel and the whole 9 yards.  It's been a few months since I was in Rochester and the last time I was, was back in November when I still had Verizon.  Instead of doing my paperwork and such back the the stuffy motel room, I'll usually hit up the Wegman's on 441 & 250 or the Wegman's in Pittsford on Monroe, grab some pizza and wings, do some work, eat, VPN into the office in Buffalo, eat, people watch, do some more work, grab a coffee, finish up and go back to the motel room and crash into bed.  I'd rather not rely on the free wifi at the motel and at Wegmans and I need more upstream bandwidth then what is typically offered.  Right now I still have my Verizon USB air card still active and that works very well for what I need to do.  Prior to that I had a Sprint Air Card and always got awesome wimax service at the Pittsford Wegmans, even though the upload was capped at 1.5Mb, which was a killer.  Now I'm looking to switch the USB modem back to Sprint as well and get one that can do LTE, but I need some info on the LTE speeds, specifically in those two areas.  I usually stay in Henrietta off of 390, but I don't really care about reception there, since all I do is sleep and shower there, if I'm not at a job site, I'm at at either one of those two Wegman's in the cafe.

I see no LTE activity on Sensorly yet for Pittsford, but it looks like LTE is alive and well in Penfield.  Does anyone have any real world experience on what the speeds are like in that area or better yet inside of Wegman's.  Ideally for what I do, minimum 5Mb up and 5Mb down would be great.  I won't be back in Rochester for about another month, either last week of Feb or first week of March, depending on how things work out, so I still have some time, but if the LTE speeds are decent, I have no problem switching.  

Thanks for any input

I believe the only active tower near Pittsford is by the route 31 exit off of 590, and it may not be broadcasting yet.  As for penfield, LTE is great by 250 and 441.  I wasn't in the wegmans there recently, but was getting LTE throughout Target until I hit the very back of the store (2-3 bars throughout the rest of the store).  Running speedtests I was pulling 13-18 outside and around 7-8 throughout Target.  It's probably hard to rely on what the current rates are before all sites are active.  

Thanks for any input

Look at the maps on Sensorly.  I mapped some of the 441/250 area and added some LTE speed tests.  I normally do about 5mbit down and 5-7mbit up. 

I think the tower is right across the street from Wegmans in the park.

Excellent thanks for the info guys.  If those speeds hold true in Penfield I may pull the trigger.  Nice to see those speeds in Target.  If I’m in Rochester on Tuesdays and venture into Penfield I’ll usually hit up that Target if there’s any new movies coming out that I want.  If the tower is in the park that would be great.  That would almost guarantee me excellent speeds when I’m in the area.  And I have high hopes for Pittsford when that goes online.  Got some of my best wimax speeds in Pittsford.  Best wimax speed I ever registered was in East Rochester by the Paetec office in the Technoplex building.  Just under 20Mb down IIRC. 

I’ll have to check and see what locations I’ll be going to, to do you know actual work :D .  But I believe I’ll have a site in Irondequoit to go to, and maybe one in the South Wedge area of the city, should have a few more, but it’s not all planned out yet.  Don’t really need cellular data when I’m on job sites, but it would be nice to have.    

Hey everyone... looks like a TON of LTE went live today.

I drove from Chili, down Jetview, back around the back of the airport, down Scottsville and into Henrietta, and had a whole boatload of LTE along the way (all areas where I've never seen it before).

Then tonight, Brighton seems to be blanketed with it. I was even getting it inside my house off Winton near 12 Corners.

FInally I feel like we've caught up with the rest of society. :)

• Like 3

Not to be confused with "nifty shit," which is of a decidedly different, more red color that may indicate a gastrointestinal disorder.

AJ

Perhaps even a bit "pink"? The Nation's Fastest Gastrointestinal Disorder.  :tu:

EDGE on T-Mo is not even comparable to EV-DO on Sprint, and EDGE is all you get with them if you leave populated areas. I live in the Mendon area T-Mobile has no 3G coverage anywhere directly south of Henrietta. I will take even half a megabit Sprint over that, and now that NV is rolling out I get two megabit speeds on Sprint EV-DO in my area. LTE will also be nice when it gets here, that will never happen with T-Mobile, not in the foreseeable future anyway.

• Like 2

Left home in Brighton, hopped on 590S to 390N to Chili Ave, and had LTE every step of the way until I hit the 204 extension. I also have REALLY strong 3G signal in my office off of Jetview Dr, so I'm hoping its just a matter of "flipping the switch" to turn on LTE in a nearby tower.

With the Olympics starting late next week, I'd love to have enough signal strength to stream them while I'm at work...

• Like 1

Left home in Brighton, hopped on 590S to 390N to Chili Ave, and had LTE every step of the way until I hit the 204 extension. I also have REALLY strong 3G signal in my office off of Jetview Dr, so I'm hoping its just a matter of "flipping the switch" to turn on LTE in a nearby tower.

With the Olympics starting late next week, I'd love to have enough signal strength to stream them while I'm at work...

I'm curious exactly what you would use for streaming if you could? I have contemplated trying the slingbox, seems pretty cool but a bit finicky because it depends on your home cable/internet. Also, the app for it is extremely expensive although it is just a tack on for the initial cost. I have heard that DirecTV has a really good app for watching TV on a mobile device if you are a subscriber.

I'm curious exactly what you would use for streaming if you could? I have contemplated trying the slingbox, seems pretty cool but a bit finicky because it depends on your home cable/internet. Also, the app for it is extremely expensive although it is just a tack on for the initial cost. I have heard that DirecTV has a really good app for watching TV on a mobile device if you are a subscriber.

DirecTV's app is only "really good" if you are home, on your own network, and your receiver is also on the network. Then you can watch probably 60ish channels on your phone/tablet, plus any recordings on your DVR.

If you are off your network, the app will let you watch maybe about a dozen channels, and no DVR recordings.

Anyhow, for watching the Olympics, I'll be using the NBC Sports Live Extra app. I believe they are supposed to be streaming every single event via the app. As always, you need to be a cable/satellite subscriber in order to stream it... but it seems to work very well.

As long as I can get my 4G signal. :)

• Like 1

Every carrier has a different roll out schedule by market... Sprint needs back haul in order to operate LTE correctly...   (For example AT&T did Buffalo first before Rochester/Syracuse). I personally think 3G on Sprint on the 3G NV upgraded does just fine for my streaming music, streaming videos (I don't care about HD on my phone thats what my TV at home is for or the laptop, and everything I do on a day to say basis.  Yes LTE is nice and noticeably faster, but its not a necessity per say.   

That would make sense, seeing that VZW has a call center here.