T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Where did you read T-Mobile is spending more per sub to acquire and retain? Not every customer who switches to T-Mobile comes with a $350 ETF. Quite the contrary.

Why are you making assumptions and putting words in my mouth?  Why are you not quoting me verbatim?  And cite where I mentioned anything about ETFs.

But the assertion that "T-Mobile is spending more and more per sub to acquire and retain" is true.  That is a logical comparison to T-Mobile in the past.

AJ

The airave 2.5 does work without a router, it has a two port switch behind its own internal router. They actually ask you to install it directly behind the broadband modem. Installing it this way allows its QoS to prioritize its voice packets over data on your broadband connection, according to the instructions that were provided with mine.

Airave's aren't given out like T-Mobile is handing out the routers. To get one for free you now need to have four lines on your account, and they will also check how many dropped calls you have had and how coverage is in your area.

The 4 line limit was not there as of last august. I got mine free, with only one line. As have others.

The 4 line limit was not there as of last august. I got mine free, with only one line. As have others.

It started this year, there was some discussion on it a while back. I also got my airave free with only one line last year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That defeats the purpose. Reports indicate that this is just an Asus 802.11ac router running T-Mobile firmware to prioritize QoS for packet switched voice. Flashing alternative firmware is beside the point -- unless you are just trolling for a free router.

AJ

I just want a cheap router and I don't care about tmobile firmware because I'm a sprint customer. The router is actually $75 with an active promotion code on their Web site.

I just want a cheap router and I don't care about tmobile firmware because I'm a sprint customer. The router is actually $75 with an active promotion code on their Web site.

Source?

Interested in any savings I can have on this router

Buying the router (obviously discounted for T-Mobile customers) to flash it and not use it for it's intended purpose seems like a scumbag move to me.

I mean geez, you can get a used AC-66 for like $100-125 on eBay. No reason to ruin the promotion for T-Mobile customers that actually have a use for it.

• Like 7

Yes, T-Mobile is spending more to acquire customers than they did in the past, but their service revenue (ARPU + EIP billing) is higher than what they had going on during the pre-MetroPCS days. Now is T-Mobile's strategy perfect? No, they're spending more to add customers, but the revenue is growing too, as is the customer base.

I know we'd kill to see Sprint be net positive adds for a quarter. I don't know how critical we can ultimately be when they're adding like customers like mad and Sprint isn't. Now some of their antics? Fair game.

• Like 1

FWIW the 25%-off promo code disappears on the payment entry page when/if you check out with the router in your basket.

(Besides which, I am a T-Mobile customer too so I don't really feel guilty about buying one even though none of my Nexus devices support their WiFi calling implementation.)

Buying the router (obviously discounted for T-Mobile customers) to flash it and not use it for it's intended purpose seems like a scumbag move to me.

I mean geez, you can get a used AC-66 for like $100-125 on eBay. No reason to ruin the promotion for T-Mobile customers that actually have a use for it.

T-mobile has made it clear that the router is for sale to anyone who wants to pay $99 for it, which is a great deal and anyone in the market for an AC router would be stupid to not strongly consider it.  Also t-mobile did not attach any conditions of use to the router for people who buy vs lease, so there is no issue. If T-mobile wanted only their customers to buy it, they could easily limit sales to people with t-mobile accounts.  I think it's a smart move, not a scumbag one.   I'll buy it and use it for anything I want, it's an awesome deal on a great router. 

If someone was looking at it from a money standpoint I'd jump on it, save $30, and get a new one. No use for me as I do not have T-Mobile(nexus 5 died, and used it with T-Mobile $30 plan to track progress here). But if it saves money why not save it, even if you flash it back to a "stock" router. 

I realize now that I might get this. 

It's worth the $99 for me, I can add a T-Mobile prepaid account to my two Verizon lines (Sprint does not currently serve where I live) and buy one, test out their networks where LTE exists, and replace my crappy cable WiFi router with better 802.11 AC. And, if T-Mobile ever upgrade EDGE to LTE here, suddenly that's a viable option as opposed to Big Red. 

I realize now that I might get this.

It's worth the $99 for me, I can add a T-Mobile prepaid account to my two Verizon lines (Sprint does not currently serve where I live) and buy one, test out their networks where LTE exists, and replace my crappy cable WiFi router with better 802.11 AC. And, if T-Mobile ever upgrade EDGE to LTE here, suddenly that's a viable option as opposed to Big Red.

I really wanted to buy an Almond+, but I have no clue when they'll actually be on sale, post-Kickstarter.

This is a pretty sweet alternative for the same price.

I really wanted to buy an Almond+, but I have no clue when they'll actually be on sale, post-Kickstarter.

This is a pretty sweet alternative for the same price.

Yeah I gave up hope on the Almond+ and just got an ASUS instead. Working great for me! My house has a lot of wifi dead zones, but the ASUS has helped alot of those issues. Oddly enough, wifi sucks in the basement of my house with the router on the 1st floor, but I get solid Sprint LTE down there :-)

The only issue with T-Mobile's cellspot is it depends on electricity for operation, just as AT&T's femtocell and Sprint's airave do. I will agree that $99 (without postpaid) isn't bad for the router though and you can't complain with getting increased call reliability. However, from a DR standpoint, this is not something that people should depend on and I'd bet people will.

Edited by MkVsTheWorld

The only issue with T-Mobile's cellspot is it depends on electricity for operation, just as AT&T's femtocell and Sprint's airave do.

"Silly electronics! Why you always gotta be so dependent on electricity?"  :P

• Like 3

I like this idea by tmo. It isn't "new" but more like an upgrade to what was previously out there- same as everything else the more advanced tech becomes. Could this be a potential preview for what comcast might have planned when/if they enter the wireless market? It was mentioned about the French company earlier, however maybe it is also something to attract comcast????

Regardless, If this works well other carriers should look into it as well. Doesn't seem like the customer has anything to lose especially those who are out in edge areas.

Yes, T-Mobile is spending more to acquire customers than they did in the past, but their service revenue (ARPU + EIP billing) is higher than what they had going on during the pre-MetroPCS days. 

Citation? 

Got one today. Ordered it online yesterday. Was supposed to arrive next week, surprisingly early delivery. Awesome router, using with FiOS symmetric 150Mbps connection.

How did you order it online? I can't seem to find a link for it anywhere.

*edit*

Out of Stock

http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router.html

T-Mobile just signed on their first LTE roaming partner: GCI in Alaska.

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/4g-lte/t-mobile-gci-ink-lte-roaming-deal/d/d-id/710962?

Looks interesting. I wonder if it is through the roaming hub or standalone. I see they also run a CDMA network, but I imagine that is either on its way out or skeleton roaming for Sprint and Verizon?

How did you order it online? I can't seem to find a link for it anywhere.

*edit*

Out of Stock

http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router.html

I just added it to my cart and checked out :) Nothing out of the ordinary. I bought it outright.

• Like 1