Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

Someone was at the MLK tower today, I'm assuming he turned on the new 3G equipment (I have an iPhone). My phone has dropped to 1x like it does when it's about to connect to LTE but goes back to 3G, I would hope they are going to turn on the completed LTE towers as well.

Hopefully it was something else since that tower got switched over about 3 weeks ago :-)

I think that tower by the post office on 2nd is broadcasting LTE. That was the first tower we were talking about over the summer, so I may be out of the loop on that one. :)

I don't know without details, but my guess would be that you are connected to the existing LTE tower South of downtown.

I frequently connect to that tower even being closer to others. Usually I switch over to a closer tower after a little bit though. Sometimes I will ride that LTE tower for a long time in the loop though.

Man, my dropped call rate is through the roof the last couple weeks.  I really hope these changes/upgrades get completed soon.

Sadly, I'm accustomed to poor data speeds, but frequent dropped calls is a new insult.

Man, my dropped call rate is through the roof the last couple weeks.  I really hope these changes/upgrades get completed soon.

Sadly, I'm accustomed to poor data speeds, but frequent dropped calls is a new insult.

Yea we're all in the same boat together ;)   I think the motor quit but the wind is coming up and drifting us to shore - I think we'll be there soon !

From some conversations from some sponsors with help from a little birdie it sounds like most of the Dsm Metro is supposed to be done by next week with the NV conversion (not necessarily turning on LTE on each site - but hopefully some!!)

i haven't heard anything new from my source yet, but just from going out and about the past few days its looking like things are going to be delayed. as of yesterday/today there were still 5 towers with crews on site finishing up the installs. since they are going to be accepting the remaining 49 sites over the span of a week i'm guessing that they are waiting to finish up these 5 sites before they start accepting anything :(

i haven't heard anything new from my source yet, but just from going out and about the past few days its looking like things are going to be delayed. as of yesterday/today there were still 5 towers with crews on site finishing up the installs. since they are going to be accepting the remaining 49 sites over the span of a week i'm guessing that they are waiting to finish up these 5 sites before they start accepting anything :(

Seriously I think your acceptance crew is in Omaha right now.

Seriously I think your acceptance crew is in Omaha right now.

yep, i'm guessing so too. omaha was getting acceptances last week, it stopped over the weekend (traveling to des moines). des moines wasn't ready so send them back to omaha (couple days to travel back and start work), then the acceptances for omaha started again.

and my guess is delayed until next week. they only have these 5 towers left that need anything installed, so as soon as they get them done they will be able to start accepting. if/when i hear anything concrete from my source i will pass it along though :)

and just a reminder, i'm talking about the towers getting accepted and the NV equipment fired up. we have no idea if 4G will be turned on at the same time, and/or if new backhaul will be hooked up for 3G if available.

• Like 2

Delayed, darn it.   Well wx is warming up I think the next couple days - maybe that will bring them back!!   :o  :angry:

We'll send them when we are done with them (we know there was an acceptance crew in Omaha still as of this morning based on what our phones are indicating). :wavey: . My guess it is the same one that eventually makes it to you guys. And at this point like bmoses said, it really makes more sense to let the tower crews finish sites with only 5 left. There are plenty of sites here that can be fired up in the mean time.

just now is the first time i have seen 800 from this tower

You have access to the spreadsheet and map, c'mon man ;) . bmoses picked up that site two weeks ago.

and just a reminder, i'm talking about the towers getting accepted and the NV equipment fired up. we have no idea if 4G will be turned on at the same time, and/or if new backhaul will be hooked up for 3G if available.

Based on Omaha and Lincoln I wouldn't expect anything on the LTE front immediately. We are seeing significantly higher 3G speeds from some sites which would be a pretty good indicator the switch to fiber has occurred there.

• Like 2

I think in my tenure as a sprint customer they have never met a deadline, they've always been a day late and a dollar short. I'm still not going to switch though. Lol

Yep we all know what you mean in one way or another.  Pretty exciting times now seeing some neat stuff happening  :D

It certainly can't be an easy task to completely re-do your whole cellular network from the ground up as they are doing. From the reading and reading I have done on what they are doing it sounds like they are really laying in a great foundation to build on. Certainly if they stop at any point it would be bad. All of these companies are in a constant race and struggle but I feel the foundation is the good piece to support much technology additions down the road and with their softbank partner that is not only bringing in needed funding but some good technology partners !!

• Like 1