Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

This morning I updated my profile, prl, went into settings then apps and cleared the data on signalcheck pro. I have 4g in pleasant hill. Here are the signalcheck pro and engineering LTE screen shots.

Over here on SE 26th and Scott street and picked up a 4G signal

sweet! serving cell 102 is from the new 4G accepted tower thats near the fairgrounds :)

was up in ames yesterday and was able to hit all the towers, found some good progress!

Borne Ave & E Lincoln Way - this one was already marked in progress, but i went to check on it anyway since sensorly was showing purple near it. couldn't get any LTE but i did find out that it is a high capacity site! looking back at my old pictures it was always that way, just never noticed before
IMG_6014CR2.jpg

Ross Hall Iowa State University - this one also had everything installed and is also a high capacity site!
IMG_6013CR2.jpg

Homewood Golf Course - still nothing here  :( even snuck up to where the base cabinets are and nothing was installed yet. did confirm that T-Mobile is the top rack and Sprint is the bottom rack.
IMG_6003CR2.jpg

Reliable St & Florida Ave - didn't check on this one since it was already confirmed in progress

Wilson Complex Iowa St. - nothing installed yet here that i could see, does look like its a sprint only site though.
IMG_6010CR2.jpg

Ames Water Tower Highway 30 - Panels/RRUs are up, didn't see any base cabinet equipment anywhere around it so assuming its inside the water tower.
IMG_6009CR2.jpg

Bloomington Rd BRET Water Tower - Base cabinets where installed, panels/RRUs where on the ground ready to get installed.

IMG_6006CR2.jpg

IMG_6007CR2.jpg

so that leaves 2 towers left in ames to get anything installed, and ames also has 2 high capacity sites! hopefully they make the on on the wilson complex high capacity too  :)

another in progress site to add to the list :)

this is the coop one in waukee, panels and RRUs are up, i assume BTS is installed, they are in a building at this location and there was a red/white GPS antenna sticking out of it right next to an old GPS antenna that looked like the sprint legacy one.

IMG_6016CR2.jpg

• Like 1

another in progress site to add to the list :)

this is the coop one in waukee, panels and RRUs are up, i assume BTS is installed, they are in a building at this location and there was a red/white GPS antenna sticking out of it right next to an old GPS antenna that looked like the sprint legacy one.

IMG_6016CR2.jpg

Very happy about this, that's one of my main towers. I haven't had a chance to go take a look in a while. Glad you made it out there to see progress!

• Like 1

last night in Ankeny, i hit 4g on SE Oralabor right in front of Tractor Supply...by the time i switched to sensorly (which it did map at the point i was) to map it, it disappeared..I swear that SignalCheck showed the tower ON SE Peachtree.  Looking at the map though, i'm not seeing anything close over there.  Any ideas?

last night in Ankeny, i hit 4g on SE Delaware right in front of Tractor Supply...by the time i switched to sensorly (which it did map at the point i was) to map it, it disappeared..I swear that SignalCheck showed the tower ON SE Peachtree.  Looking at the map though, i'm not seeing anything close over there.  Any ideas?

check out this thread if you haven't already, it has links to a map with all the 4G accepted towers in our area so far. i would guess you were picking up a faint signal from either bondurant or the fair grounds. Also the address that signal check lists is for the tower your voice signal is coming from (for 1xRTT the location is offset from the actual tower location, for 1x800 signals the location will be exact to where the tower is). 3G and 4G don't broadcast any location information for the tower you are connected to. that's why we are tacking the serving cell and HEX ID's for 4G in the spreadsheet in the thread i linked you to. that's the only way to find out what tower for sure your LTE signal was coming from. :)

The 4g alert ony signalcheck pro has been going wild the last two days at my work. My office is by Palmers deli at 29th and Ingersoll The only audible alert iI have set on signal check pro is for 4G. I have not been able to see a 4g connection yet but its got to be getting a faint or inconsistent 4g signal by all the notices I'm hearing.

The 4g alert ony signalcheck pro has been going wild the last two days at my work. My office is by Palmers deli at 29th and Ingersoll The only audible alert iI have set on signal check pro is for 4G. I have not been able to see a 4g connection yet but its got to be getting a faint or inconsistent 4g signal by all the notices I'm hearing.

Not unusual to get some faint signals. There are now two live 4G towers in the City of Des Moines, none close to that area but certainly signal travels. The other thing that can be happening is testing of towers whether that be a 4G system being tested or towers that are close to you being shut down for periods of time for work being done which then would cause your phone to search out a tower further away.  1x signals instead of 3G is not uncommon either with all the work going on.  Best part of all the "awful" stuff is that means work being done and closer to the "Great" stuff !!   :lol:     Consider becoming a member of the S4GRU Community and getting into more information and more in depth conversations.  Check my signature or other members signatures for some extra places to read and check out.

Not that it has to do with the Des Moines area, but I was in Clear Lake on my way to Minneapolis yesterday and I had full 4G at the US 18/IA 122 exit where the Pilot/Subway/Denny's is at.  It may only show one bar on my screen but that's probably what it was when I snapped a pic.  

I'd rather see the rural areas get 4G before us, as they have had to deal with 1xRTT for years while we had 3G.

post-22327-0-03569800-1382688450_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I tested this tower a Month or so ago and was at the truck stops off the interstate and had almost no signal. Very odd to me when I was less than a half mile from the tower and could see it in the distance. I also tried it East of the Interstate on Hwy 18 and still terrible.  My speeds were about 1-2Mbps also as I remember.  I think they forgot to hook the panels up and are broacasting off the hardine coax  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

Oh look, Des Moines isn't on the list again. This probably means two towers in each of the listed cities. ;-)

This morning, Sprint announced the light up of 45 new 4G LTE markets in America, bringing their total LTE market number to 230. That number has grown quite a bit this year, but the company is still far behind AT&T and Verizon’s market counts. Much like T-Mobile, both of these companies have been playing catch up ever since Verizon launched its first LTE city back in 2011.

Here is the full list of the new 4G LTE markets on Sprint.

New 4G LTE Markets:

Abilene, Texas

Lakeland/Winter Haven, Fla.

Adrian, Mich.

Laurel, Miss.

Albany/Corvallis, Ore.

Lexington, Ky.

Ardmore, Okla.

Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.

Athens, Texas

Milledgeville, Ga.

Auburn/Opelika, Ala.

Naples, Fla.

Cape Coral/Fort Myers, Fla.

New Haven, Conn.

Clovis, N.M.

Odessa, Texas

Coeur d’Alene, Idaho

Paris, Texas

Columbia/Ellicott City, Md.

Pensacola, Fla.

Eagle Pass, Texas

Picayune, Miss.

Elizabethtown, Ky.

Red Bluff, Calif.

Farmington, Mo.

Rolla, Mo.

Fort Polk South, La.

Santa Ana/Anaheim, Calif.

Fort Smith, Ark.

Spokane, Wash.

Frankfort, Ky.

Stevens Point, Wis.

Greenville/Mauldin/Easley, S.C.

Tallahassee, Fla.

Greenwood, S.C.

Texarkana, Texas – Texarkana, Ark.

Jacksonville, Texas

Tyler, Texas

Janesville, Wis.

Valdosta, Ga.

Jefferson City, Mo.

Warner Robins, Ga.

Kirksville, Mo.

Waycross, Ga.

Lafayette, La.

Edited by Dkoellerwx

Oh look, Des Moines isn't on the list again. This probably means two towers in each of the listed cities. ;-)

We posted this information here, yesterday, before any of the tech sites caught wind. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4922-sprint-launching-new-lte-cities-oct-29/

Of course Des Moines isn't on the list. And it won't be for quite some time. Sprint doesn't announce a city until they have at least 40% coverage. Some of these cities have closer to 80% coverage.

Of course Des Moines isn't on the list. And it won't be for quite some time.

Yikes! Quite some time....

That doesn't sound good. Thot we were getting LTE in the summer, then the fair, now looks like next year.

When Des Moines "makes the list" has nothing to do with when you get LTE. LTE is already live in a few places, and once Samsung switches gears and starts integrating all the sites that have been already installed (you should know where these are seeing as you are a sponsor) LTE will light up very quickly. However that's probably a couple months away. I would anticipate that Des Moines will launch early next year. But that doesn't mean you won't have LTE until then, it's quite possible you could get LTE next week, but it will still be some time before Des Moines officially "launches."

• Like 1

Of course Des Moines isn't on the list. And it won't be for quite some time.

Yikes! Quite some time....

That doesn't sound good. Thot we were getting LTE in the summer, then the fair, now looks like next year.

Everything is always "right around the corner" with Sprint, yet the corner never comes. 

Good thing I've had a 4G-capable phone for the last 40 months.   I feel like a fool for falling for it.  I am not exaggerating.

Really starting to burn through the goodwill they've built up over the last 14 years with me.

Everything is always "right around the corner" with Sprint, yet the corner never comes. 

Good thing I've had a 4G-capable phone for the last 40 months.   I feel like a fool for falling for it.  I am not exaggerating.

Really starting to burn through the goodwill they've built up over the last 14 years with me.

If you'd been following this site, you'd know that things haven't been "right around the corner" for Des Moines. Only now can we say that LTE will in fact be lighting up soon in the area. There's already two sites live, and more will be brought online later this year. By mid-winter, LTE should be lighting up pretty quickly. 

If you'd been following this site, you'd know that things haven't been "right around the corner" for Des Moines. Only now can we say that LTE will in fact be lighting up soon in the area. There's already two sites live, and more will be brought online later this year. By mid-winter, LTE should be lighting up pretty quickly. 

Even when I got my first Evo in June, 2010, I was led to believe we'd see 4G service by the following summer.  It is now over two years later than that "following summer," and still no 4G service.  It's not even the same 4G service (WiMax vs. LTE).  I'm pretty much ignoring any claims or estimates of service at this point, opting instead to be surprised when it does arrive.

They'll probably turn on one tower downtown that will instantly be saturated to the point of uselessness, and let that languish for six months or more.

• Like 1

Even when I got my first Evo in June, 2010, I was led to believe we'd see 4G service by the following summer. It is now over two years later than that "following summer," and still no 4G service. It's not even the same 4G service (WiMax vs. LTE). I'm pretty much ignoring any claims or estimates of service at this point, opting instead to be surprised when it does arrive.

They'll probably turn on one tower downtown that will instantly be saturated to the point of uselessness, and let that languish for six months or more.

I'm using t-mobile with a hotspot downtown until the LTE turns on for Sprint. Otherwise there just is no data available in the metro.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Even when I got my first Evo in June, 2010, I was led to believe we'd see 4G service by the following summer.  It is now over two years later than that "following summer," and still no 4G service.  It's not even the same 4G service (WiMax vs. LTE).  I'm pretty much ignoring any claims or estimates of service at this point, opting instead to be surprised when it does arrive.

According to information that we have, and that members here have gathered, the vast majority of site in Des Moines have already been installed with LTE equipment. Samsung will begin integrating the new equipment into the network late this fall or winter, which should result in a fairly rapid expansion of LTE coverage. You won't get stuck with one or two LTE sites like you currently have.

• Like 1