Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

Is there a new live site? I got LTE at e.4th and Des Moines street this morning.

Nope, sorry to say that is the live site a ways South of the Capitol complex.  I have held that tower at times even up to Euclid at certain times.

• Like 1

nope, there are towers that have been done and with fiber since july that still aren't broadcasting. samsung switched gears and appears to be waiting for all towers in an area to be ready and then they come through and accept them all at once.

I remember a few months ago getting excited for 4g by State Fair time, so this is discouraging. I live in Beaverdale and haven't really made it to the southside for a taste of 4g. So this is going to cause more delays for each site?

I remember a few months ago getting excited for 4g by State Fair time, so this is discouraging. I live in Beaverdale and haven't really made it to the southside for a taste of 4g. So this is going to cause more delays for each site?

its causing a delay in the sense that previously they would come through and turn 4G on when a tower was ready but leave everything else off on the NV equipment and the legacy equipment would still be running 1xRTT and 3G.

there is not a delay in sites getting installed, that is still going full steam ahead. they are just waiting until all of the sites get installed and ready to go before coming through and accepting them. when they do that they will accept and turn on everything on the NV equipment. 4G if new backhaul is there, otherwise at least 1xRTT, 1x800, and 3G.

since you are a sponsor if you haven't already check out this thread http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4711-nebraska-iowa-market-spreadsheets-and-maps/page-1 we have a spreadsheet and map of central iowa with the status of almost every single tower in the market :)

• Like 1

Bmoses hit on this, but net/net there is no delay. If it takes (made up numbers to follow) 180 days to install equipment on 70 sites you can reach that goal either by turning sites on individually or turning them on all at once.

Bmoses hit on this, but net/net there is no delay. If it takes (made up numbers to follow) 180 days to install equipment on 70 sites you can reach that goal either by turning sites on individually or turning them on all at once.

Turn them all on individually!

I think at this point we are waiting on backhaul. Isn't all the equipment out there? The spreadsheet is pretty large in the sponsors section. And also I believe backhaul is coming from Mediacom. I don't think Mediacom is known for speedy delivery.

I think at this point we are waiting on backhaul. Isn't all the equipment out there? The spreadsheet is pretty large in the sponsors section. And also I believe backhaul is coming from Mediacom. I don't think Mediacom is known for speedy delivery.

we are waiting on installs to complete so they can come through and accept all the sites in one swoop. they don't wait on backhaul for anything. The only thing backhaul will affect is if they turn LTE on at a tower or not when they come through and do initial acceptance. *side note* most of the towers i've been to have backhaul in place, even ones that don't have equipment yet.

there are still ~16 towers in the metro that don't have the equipment installed yet. instead of looking at the spreadsheet in the sponsor section just check the map. as soon as all the white pins change to the yellow ones they will be ready to send the crews through to accept everything.

• Like 2

such bull that they are doing this, especially with how bad their service was even before work began. Oh well maybe someday it'll happen. lol

Not really sure what is "bull" about it. Presumably this new method allows them to get more work done in a shorter period of time (before bad winter weather causes delays). That is a good thing.

Beyond that, I'm not sure there is an optimal strategy. You bring everything online at once, it is perceived to take longer and people complain about the wait. You bring a tower on one at a time and people complain about a slow rollout, patchy LTE, etc. You also run the risk of handoff issues, dropped calls, and other issues that have been observed in other markets at times between NV and legacy equipment.

There isn't a winning solution to make everyone happy here.

• Like 3

So far we haven't encountered backhaul issues that we know of in Iowa and Nebraska. As bmoses mentioned it is the norm for backhaul to be one of the first signs of progress in our markets. There was a site in Omaha that had backhaul two months before the tower crew installing equipment on the roof of the building. Like he mentioned at this point we are waiting for the final sites to get NV equipment before a presumed mass sweep through Des Moines to accept everything at once. This was observed in the Quad Cities recently as well as other places nationally over the past several weeks.

I just got back from Chandler AZ, and I can see merit to both options. On the one hand it was awesome to have LTE live at my hotel and in some popular areas of town, on the other hand it was just that much more noticible when I was on 3g just how slow it is.

• Like 1

So this post: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4989-LG-Google-Nexus-5-Users-Thread!#entry235703 has cracked the mystery as to why some people are having problems with LTE on the Nexus 5 and G2 and others are having no issues. As our market seems right on the edge of having a lot of 4G online in a matter of months what does the new information conveyed in that post mean for our market? We will experience the problem or not experience the problem?

wow, that is some interesting info...... assuming 2 things here 1) i'm understanding the info in that post correctly and 2) we get an acceptance sweep like the quad cities where all the towers get turned on over a few days and everything gets switched over to NV off of legacy.

with those 2 assumptions i would say no, we won't have any issues with the tri-band phones once our towers get turned on.

So this post: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4989-LG-Google-Nexus-5-Users-Thread!&do=findComment&comment=235703 has cracked the mystery as to why some people are having problems with LTE on the Nexus 5 and G2 and others are having no issues. As our market seems right on the edge of having a lot of 4G online in a matter of months what does the new information conveyed in that post mean for our market? We will experience the problem or not experience the problem.

The issue isn't being on the verge of having a lot of 4G online in a matter of months or not. Rather it is an issue of who did the legacy equipment versus the NV equipment. The bad news is all of Iowa and Nebraska is on the wrong side of this right now. Based on that post, any tri-band device is going to have issues connecting to LTE here.

The good news is that East Iowa is largely NV accepted on some level and Central Iowa (including Des Moines) and West/Iowa Nebraska are well on the road to NV acceptances for the entire markets. We've been discussing paces on the sponsor side lately, but suffice to say I think this is more of a short-term blip than a long term problem here. And it certainly explains the pattern we've observed where acceptance reports have dried up, but we've been seeing mass acceptances all at once in certain markets i.e. the Quad Cities. It isn't so much a winter push rather it is a general push market by market to alleviate this issue,

So this post: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4989-LG-Google-Nexus-5-Users-Thread!&do=findComment&comment=235703 has cracked the mystery as to why some people are having problems with LTE on the Nexus 5 and G2 and others are having no issues. As our market seems right on the edge of having a lot of 4G online in a matter of months what does the new information conveyed in that post mean for our market? We will experience the problem or not experience the problem?

In sort, no. I do not think you will experience the LTE compatibility issue that is being seen in other markets. 

It appears Samsung has been gearing up for this issue, and will switch over most of the area from legacy to Network Vision equipment in one swoop, effectively preventing it from ever being an issue.

That's our theory for now anyway. Lets hope Samsung actually does what it looks like they are going to do!