Network Vision/LTE - Central Iowa Market (Des Moines and surrounding areas)

sweyers

I have four solid bars here downtown and I'm up high by several floors. I've noticed that my signal jumps between 3G and 1x at times. Is THAT a sign????

Did you get tower IDs so we can find out some further info on this by chance?  I have also gotten bars downtown up a few floors. Not really that far from the live tower. So I find it does happen at times.

Are you guys taking deliberate steps to make the phone search for LTE signal, or do you just have the radio enabled and take note whenever the phone notices LTE availability on its own?

Are you guys taking deliberate steps to make the phone search for LTE signal, or do you just have the radio enabled and take note whenever the phone notices LTE availability on its own?

since i have an EVO LTE, like i assume you do based on your profile, i take deliberate steps to connect to LTE. Of course i only do that when i'm next to or near a 4G accepted tower, that info is found in the sponsor section. If i'm out and about and not anywhere near a 4G accepted tower i don't do anything to try and connect since i know there isn't any 4G around me.

What are these deliberate steps you speak of? Aside from placing yourself in the footprint of a known LTE tower?

I was referring to the more passive situation going about a typical day. I just leave my phone in LTE/CDMA mode instead of CDMA mode, and assume that if it gets a whiff of LTE, it will switch. Are you doing more than that when you're not specifically near a known LTE tower? Are you doing something to force it to poll for LTE more frequently than it otherwise would?

The only time I've encountered LTE coverage in this manner in the Des Moines area was a few weeks ago near E. 4th & Locust at the blood center. I didn't do anything to seek it out; the phone just noticed and switched over on its own.

ah sorry, if i'm in a known 4G footprint and my phone doesn't auto connect to it after like 30 seconds or so, i do a combination of airplane mode and/or restarting the phone to force it to rescan for LTE. i don't know the specifics on all of the timers but if you left it along and stayed in a 4G footprint long enough it would eventually connect on its own, but if you want it to connect faster you can do those things to try and force it to. once 4G is more wide spread you shouldn't have to do those things as often as it will hand off from 4G tower to 4G tower.

Ah, okay, so basically toggling the radios via airport mode or a whole restart expedites the search cycle.  That makes sense.

When one turns on an app like SignalCheck, will that freshly poll all radios or does the phone need to already be established on LTE before LTE signal will appear in that app?

Ah, okay, so basically toggling the radios via airport mode or a whole restart expedites the search cycle.  That makes sense.

When one turns on an app like SignalCheck, will that freshly poll all radios or does the phone need to already be established on LTE before LTE signal will appear in that app?

signal check just displays whatever the phone is connected to. there is an option in that app to toggle airplane mode which makes the whole thing easier but its only available in the pro version.

the signal check pro app sounds a notification sound when it connects to 4G LTE, that, and i was playing with the phone while eating pizza at Polito's in Bondurant.

no news :( and if MN is any indication winter shouldn't stop them, slow down maybe if there are a lot of storms, but shouldn't stop. of course we are down to less than 30 towers that need equipment installed in the metro, so as long as they get that done before winter the weather shouldn't affect acceptance and integration.

• Like 1

Ankeny finally getting some more love!

DsmIowaGuy tipped me off that the ankeny water tower had some work done, so i went out to get some pics, looks like all the equipment is there, just waiting to get installed. also there is a freshly dug trench that looks like its coming from a fiber box going to the base cabinets.

IMG_6000CR2.jpg

IMG_6001CR2.jpg

this is the site by 1st and Delaware, just base cabinets so far.

IMAG0492.jpg

• Like 1

since you are a sponsor, check out this thread here there is a spreadsheet and map of the towers for central iowa, thats about all we know for right now. if you see any work on other towers than what has already been posted as in progress take pics and post it in that thread so we can update it! :) there was a couple of sensorly blips that showed up in ames and boone a couple weeks back but thats been it, so not sure if they were testing or what but the towers haven't been accepted yet.

I tweeted @Sprintcare earlier this evening as me and my partner were dining at Centro, and it turns out that they were updating the tower that serviced that area, so hopefully soon (how long have we been saying that, lol?)!!!

BTW, I was roaming around SE 14th and Hartford / Maury Streets and the LTE tower seems to not be turned on...I had 3G speeds at 2.5down and 1 up, but no LTE...odd.  I wonder if they were just testing the site for the past few weeks maybe?  It was up full speed last week.

Anyone got anymore exciting news yet?

No exciting news except..   Seems like they are continuing to be working.  There are certainly many days/times/areas that I'm seeing 1x around the downtown/ext downtown area.  We certainly will have some rough spots until it gets really good.  

FYI for all the central iowa people out there, had a couple of people at my work pick up a brief, weak LTE signal today coming from cell ID 102, which is not one we have tracked, meaning its something new that's being worked on today! no idea where the tower its coming from is yet though :(

• Like 1

4g was active by the fair grounds when I got home from work today

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2013-10-18-16-33-06.png

nice! also hello and welcome! any chance you could get us the serving cell ID if you get connected again? -118 is a pretty weak signal so it could be coming from anywhere. the serving cell would tell us if its a site thats already been live, or a new one somewhere. you can find info on how to get the serving cell ID here

at work my coworkers were also picking up a weak -117 to -118 4G signal coming from serving cell 102, which is a new site we don't know where it is yet. i drove around the north and west sides of the metro tonight and never got anything, so i don't think its out this way.

Guest mbrinson

I live over by the fairgrounds and was in the Walgreens parking lot and picked up 4G LTE very weak signal -116 but I did happen to grab a screenshot!post-18144-0-54909200-1382138639_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I live over by the fairgrounds and was in the Walgreens parking lot and picked up 4G LTE very weak signal -116 but I did happen to grab a screenshot!attachicon.gifphoto (1).jpg

nice! thats the same cell ID i picked up. everyone thats picking it up is getting a really weak signal, just need to figure out where its coming from!