SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

40 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Sent diagnostics from my Oneplus Nord n200 5g on OxygenOS Android 12.  No signal indication in status bar.  Notifications  setup screens have a totally different structure than Samsung.

edit: Nothing on status bar from any other app, just time, signal, battery % and battery icon.

Testing with production version.  Changed status on pulldown screen to important.  Now makes noise likely for every update on status bar top line, fixed with turning off ringtone and vibrate.   actual strength is was correct for a minute, now shows -- under LTE 2.  Turned back on banner causes a popup banner every time the rsrsp changes.  Checked back on banner and made no difference, including exit and reentry.

7 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Testing with production version.  Changed status on pulldown screen to important.  Now makes noise likely for every update on status bar top line, fixed with turning off ringtone and vibrate.   actual strength is was correct for a minute, now shows -- under LTE 2.  Turned back on banner causes a popup banner every time the rsrsp changes.  Checked back on banner and made no difference, including exit and reentry.

Thanks. The notification is actually updated every time something changes with the app; if you're getting popups/noise/vibration, you will need to adjust your settings for that notification. The app defaults them to silent, but manufacturers do occasionally override default settings (why, I do not know).

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:00 AM, jefbal99 said:

Got a Pixel 6 Pro yesterday that is back was back on Android 12, had signal strengths.

Upgraded it to Android 13 and poof, they are gone.

In the app itself, or when using the type+strength status bar icon? As long as the proper permissions are granted, the only major drawback you should see at the moment is that specific icon does not work. It's apparently an Android bug that I'm putting together a bug report for today.

18 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

In the app itself, or when using the type+strength status bar icon? As long as the proper permissions are granted, the only major drawback you should see at the moment is that specific icon does not work. It's apparently an Android bug that I'm putting together a bug report for today.

Status bar has the --

When I drag down the status bar for notifications I have the -105 (or whatever the current signal strength is

In the app I have most of the expected data.  I'm missing channel bandwidth, UL Channel, and maybe one other field.  I can't seem to remember but I feel like something is missing.

1 hour ago, jefbal99 said:

Status bar has the --

When I drag down the status bar for notifications I have the -105 (or whatever the current signal strength is

Yes, that is unfortunately current behavior on Android 13. The other icon styles should work fine -- it appears to be a bug with the layered icon method that specific icon uses.

In the app I have most of the expected data.  I'm missing channel bandwidth, UL Channel, and maybe one other field.  I can't seem to remember but I feel like something is missing.

UL channel and bandwidth should be available by enabling the options under preferences. One nice bonus is I'm now seeing neighbor cells for the first time ever on my P6..

17 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Yes, that is unfortunately current behavior on Android 13. The other icon styles should work fine -- it appears to be a bug with the layered icon method that specific icon uses.

UL channel and bandwidth should be available by enabling the options under preferences. One nice bonus is I'm now seeing neighbor cells for the first time ever on my P6..

I've always had them enabled, just some of the connections don't seem to show them.  Right now I'm seeing them on b71/LTE600, however, earlier they were not there.  I think I was connected to b12.  Maybe it's just a stale data/reporting issue from the modem to the OS to the app.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, jefbal99 said:

I've always had them enabled, just some of the connections don't seem to show them.  Right now I'm seeing them on b71/LTE600, however, earlier they were not there.  I think I was connected to b12.  Maybe it's just a stale data/reporting issue from the modem to the OS to the app.

So I found the condition with the missing UL and BW, its when I'm connected to 5G-NR2500.  I only have a DL frequency and channel, nothing for UL and BW

On 8/28/2022 at 1:45 PM, mikejeep said:

Please +1 the following bug report on the Android Issue Tracker (causes the SCP status bar icon to not appear properly on Android 13) to help generate attention and hopefully a prompt fix:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/244063666

Thank you!

Looks like they are requesting logs, screen recording, apk, etc.

2 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

So I found the condition with the missing UL and BW, its when I'm connected to 5G-NR2500.  I only have a DL frequency and channel, nothing for UL and BW

Yeah like everything else, some connection types / devices / networks don't report valid data for all fields. I only see full details of standalone NR connections occasionally; often the NCI is missing.

Looks like they are requesting logs, screen recording, apk, etc.

Yeah I was waiting for the prompt, the fact that it came so quickly is a good sign. I already had most if it ready to share with them.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

i just began using a PIxel 7 pro (android 13). i have the status bar icon set to show Band and signal strength together but the signal strength never populates (it is fine and updates in app). it just shows the band with two "-" under it. If i swap to show just signal strength for the status bar icon it works fine.

2 hours ago, swintec said:

i just began using a PIxel 7 pro (android 13). i have the status bar icon set to show Band and signal strength together but the signal strength never populates (it is fine and updates in app). it just shows the band with two "-" under it. If i swap to show just signal strength for the status bar icon it works fine.

It's a known Android 13 bug, it was discussed a few posts above this. Help attract attention to it by giving a "+1" to the entry on the Android Issue Tracker linked above!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

It's a known Android 13 bug, it was discussed a few posts above this. Help attract attention to it by giving a "+1" to the entry on the Android Issue Tracker linked above!

Bummer, lets hope for a speedy fix.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 2:31 PM, mikejeep said:

Hey Mike

I ordered a pixel 7 on Thursday  and  it arrived today    I actually noticed when I connected to NR 41 (NSA)  it works  but when it connects to LTE b66   it's back to --   then connects back to NR 41 and it's working again...    Do you think it has something to do with LTE?

8 hours ago, DerekKY1980 said:

I ordered a pixel 7 on Thursday  and  it arrived today    I actually noticed when I connected to NR 41 (NSA)  it works  but when it connects to LTE b66   it's back to --   then connects back to NR 41 and it's working again...    Do you think it has something to do with LTE?

Unfortunately not in my experience.. I have done a lot of testing with all the bands and combinations, and if it works, it's temporary. The code that controls the icons is all the same, and if you look in the notification pulldown you see the icon actually changes properly there.

Are you sure when you connect to n41 it's changing the signal strength in realtime? Or does it change once and then stick?

4 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Are you sure when you connect to n41 it's changing the signal strength in realtime? Or does it change once and then stick?

I guess the best answer to this is both? lol  It does seem to change sometimes but not as often as the drop down like you said it sticks for a bit.     It's weird that it's working even a lil bit tho lol   when on OxygenOS12 when i first got the update  sometimes it would work then it wouldn't    then I got another update to fix the bugs it was loaded with and like u mentioned before on the pixel in Android 13  it never showed.    So I was surprised when the thing came up in Pixel 7 lol

7 hours ago, swintec said:

my s20 just got the android 13 update today, as expected (but hoping by some miracle it would still work), signal check broke. i hope this rises on googles priority list to get this working again.

Just the type+strength icon, correct? I got around that by going with a different icon for now. Everything else should be ok, with some device-specific limitations like no LTE TA on the Pixel 7.

Some day, over the rainbow, it will all be fixed.  Until then we live like this while we are the quest for the perfect phone:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on how SCP works with lineageos 19 on a oneplus nord n200 5g? Alternatively, how does the modem option work with rooted Android 11 on the same device? Maybe it has been depreciated in the past given the APIs. But since those are failing with NSA was planning to revisit the rooted modem options.

• 2 weeks later...

A SignalCheck Pro update is finally rolling out to users right now and should be available on Google Play within the hour!

This long-overdue update includes a tremendous amount of bugfixes and stability improvements, especially on 5G-NR connections. View the full changelog here, and feel free to reach out with any feedback by whatever means you prefer.

Thank you all for your support and patience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have discovered a bug in the latest release that is causing force closes for users who have not granted proper Location permissions to the app. I hope to have a fix implemented soon, and will get it rolled out after a brief testing window. In the meantime, impacted users can avoid the crashes by granting precise location permission to SignalCheck (the app is severely limited without it anyway, although it should not crash).

• Like 1

Another SignalCheck Pro update is rolling out to all users right now, Happy Holidays! It should be available on Google Play within the hour.

This update includes several bugfixes and one notable new feature, a customizable shortcut button on the action bar along the top of the screen. The icon is a lightning bolt. It is configurable via Preferences > Colors and Styles > Custom Action Bar Icon; there is an option to hide it if you do not want it. I am open to suggestions for additional options to choose from, along with any other feedback as always.

• Like 5