Network Vision/LTE - East Iowa Market (Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

S4GRU

I guess I can't speak for all of CR, but I was heading down 380 to iowa state fair yesterday and both north and south of downtown along 380 were lit up.   So that's at least about 4-5 towers by the Sprint Map.

But I haven't driven out to the perimeter of CR to see if those have been updated yet.

There was no LTE in DSM @ State Fair despite them "wanting to have it rolled out by then".

Based on the coverage mapped on Sensorly, only one tower has been activated so far.

Well, I have checked the maps and I don't see any pins (accepted or even in progress) in the quad city area. A few posts above mentions that no towers have had any work done here yet.

So my question is, since Sprint has said this area will be done with NV by the end of August (latest is 3 months), is that realistic? How long does it take an area to be completed (3G and LTE) once work has started?

3 months for what? For the area to be completed? Or for LTE to start showing up?

LTE could start showing up next week for all we know. All markets (doesn't matter if it's third or forth round) have started, and all that is needed for them to install LTE is the upgraded backhaul to be in place.

I read into his question that he was asking when the majority of the QC would have LTE coverage. Certainly they could go all out and pull off a miracle to get one site going by tomorrow, but just one site out of ~34 would hardly count.

Unfortunately, not all markets have started, much less all metropolitan areas. For example, the Swiftel and Dakotas markets haven't begun. LTE requires more than just new backhaul- you also need all of the new NV equipment (including the 1900 LTE RRU's), which none of the sites in the QC have had installed yet. Otherwise we'd just see Sprint hooking up new backhaul to legacy sites and everyone would have LTE by now.

Based on the coverage mapped on Sensorly, only one tower has been activated so far.

There are two sites in Cedar Rapids that have been 4G accepted, as well as a third elsewhere in East Iowa. Those should show up in the next acceptance report and sponsor map update.

I read into his question that he was asking when the majority of the QC would have LTE coverage. Certainly they could go all out and pull off a miracle to get one site going by tomorrow, but just one site out of ~34 would hardly count.

Unfortunately, not all markets have started, much less all metropolitan areas. For example, the Swiftel and Dakotas markets haven't begun. LTE requires more than just new backhaul- you also need all of the new NV equipment (including the 1900 LTE RRU's), which none of the sites in the QC have had installed yet. Otherwise we'd just see Sprint hooking up new backhaul to legacy sites and everyone would have LTE by now.

I'm quite aware what it takes for LTE to be installed. A site can be installed in under a week is the crew is motivated. Will the market be completed by then end of August, certainly not. Not even in 3 months. But LTE could begin lighting up next week for all we know.

Swiftel doesn't count, as it is not actually Sprint. Even the Dakotas have started, nothing has been accepted however. Sites have had the installed completed. 

There are two sites in Cedar Rapids that have been 4G accepted, as well as a third elsewhere in East Iowa. Those should show up in the next acceptance report and sponsor map update.

I hadn't seen that post until a little while ago. Yes, there are two sites in Cedar rapids, and two others in East Iowa along I-80.

Well, I have checked the maps and I don't see any pins (accepted or even in progress) in the quad city area. A few posts above mentions that no towers have had any work done here yet.

So my question is, since Sprint has said this area will be done with NV by the end of August (latest is 3 months), is that realistic? How long does it take an area to be completed (3G and LTE) once work has started?

It is going to take several-many months for the whole market to complete. The area will not be complete at the end of 3 months. However, in 3 months time, there will likely be an appreciable amount of LTE coverage. 

I'm quite aware what it takes for LTE to be installed...

Swiftel doesn't count, as it is not actually Sprint. Even the Dakotas have started, nothing has been accepted however. Sites have had the installed completed. 

I figured you were aware of the entire process, but your original post ("All markets...have started, and all that is needed for them to install LTE is the upgraded backhaul to be in place") suggests that all that is needed to get LTE going in the Quad Cities (or anywhere else at this point) is for the backhaul to be trenched and/or hooked up. If that statement were true, then the NV Sites Complete map would have every (or nearly every) Sprint site that there is labeled with at least a red or white pin. I can guarantee you that there are still several Sprint legacy sites active in the majority of markets, so that it is more than 3G acceptance or backhaul that they are waiting on. For example, I know from recent observation that most of the sites in Iowa City still need NV equipment to be installed.

If you have evidence that some or all of the sites in the Quad Cities have received their NV equipment, and are merely awaiting 3G inspection/acceptance and backhaul, please share that with us. They could then be marked as "In Progress" on the map. Such a state of affairs would also make an LTE market launch in the QC within the next 3 months (given the quite low threshold of ~40% POP coverage that Sprint is using) much more plausible. As it is, I'm betting on a market launch there to take place sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It's realistic only if they immediately start working on upgrading and accepting the sites, and if Mediacom already has the backhaul ready, like they do in Cedar Rapids. Projects (from a small DIY weekend home remodel to a national mobile network overhaul) almost always take longer than expected, so I think 4 months is the safer bet at this point. We don't know how many crews Samsung will dedicate to the area once they get going, nor where they will need to wait on Mediacom for the backhaul necessary for 4G acceptance. For an individual site, the equipment is generally completely installed a week after the workers arrive there.

I figured you were aware of the entire process, but your original post ("All markets...have started, and all that is needed for them to install LTE is the upgraded backhaul to be in place") suggests that all that is needed to get LTE going in the Quad Cities (or anywhere else at this point) is for the backhaul to be trenched and/or hooked up. 

Yes, I oversimplified a bit, and forgot a key word: upgraded. In order for LTE to be activated, it needs upgraded backhaul. If upgraded backhaul is available, you can bet NV equipment is going to be installed as soon as possible. If backhaul is going to be a while, they won't be in any hurry to get things installed. 

If that statement were true, then the NV Sites Complete map would have every (or nearly every) Sprint site that there is labeled with at least a red or white pin. I can guarantee you that there are still several Sprint legacy sites active in the majority of markets, so that it is more than 3G acceptance or backhaul that they are waiting on. For example, I know from recent observation that most of the sites in Iowa City still need NV equipment to be installed.

If you have evidence that some or all of the sites in the Quad Cities have received their NV equipment, and are merely awaiting 3G inspection/acceptance and backhaul, please share that with us. They could then be marked as "In Progress" on the map. Such a state of affairs would also make an LTE market launch in the QC within the next 3 months (given the quite low threshold of ~40% POP coverage that Sprint is using) much more plausible. As it is, I'm betting on a market launch there to take place sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

When I said sites have been installed but are awaiting acceptance, I was referring to the Dakotas market. Sorry for the confusion. I know there are tons of sites that have yet to receive any sort of upgrade. I was not implying that sites have already been installed in the Quad Cities area but haven't been accepted. Though, given the way the rest of the market is going, that's probably a good bet at this point. We just haven't had them reported. In order to have the "In-Progress" designation and see a white pin, we need someone to report the work.

Hi all, Were can I find a map with all the sprint towers in the Quad city area?  I know there use to be one but I can't find it.  I would like to drive to a couple and see if any work is being done.

Thanks,

john Elder

Hi all, Were can I find a map with all the sprint towers in the Quad city area?  I know there use to be one but I can't find it.  I would like to drive to a couple and see if any work is being done.

Thanks,

john Elder

As a sponsor, you can use this map, and just zoom in wherever you want to look.

I was sitting in Genghis Grill on the SW side of Cedar Rapids last night when I noticed my phone was on 4g.  Verified with Signal Check Pro.   I did a quick speed test and got disappointing speeds (3g-ish).   The food came and by the time I looked again, it was back on 3G.   The tower serving that is literally right behind the building and there was no trucks or anything nearby. 

Here in my house on the extreme SW side of Cedar Rapids, I only have 3g service this morning and have never seen 4g here.

I'll have to head downtown today and see if get any LTE!

12 3G acceptances over the weekend, all from Cedar Falls/Waterloo. That leaves about 56 (27%) legacy sites left in the market, the overwhelming majority of which (79%) are in the Quad Cities area or Iowa City. Here's to hoping there's a similar wave of acceptances for those places soon. :fingers:

• Like 1

Hey there, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Sorry if it has NEWB written all over it.

I live in Cedar Rapids, SW side off Williams Blvd between 16th Ave and Wilson Blvd.  

I know for a fact we have limited LTE here in CR, weather sprint has officially announced it or not, but basically just I-380 coverage. Definitely not widespread CR.

Looking at the Maps section with "completed" maps it has Cedar Rapids towers as mostly 3G with the few 3G/4G towers of which I can only assume are the ones that are meant to primarily cover I-380. So does this mean Cedar Rapids as a whole will only get these few 4G towers and the rest of the city will still be left without 4G? Or can we expect continued 4G implementation and the maps just cover the completed "steps" of each tower?

Hey there, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Sorry if it has NEWB written all over it.

I live in Cedar Rapids, SW side off Williams Blvd between 16th Ave and Wilson Blvd.  

I know for a fact we have limited LTE here in CR, weather sprint has officially announced it or not, but basically just I-380 coverage. Definitely not widespread CR.

Looking at the Maps section with "completed" maps it has Cedar Rapids towers as mostly 3G with the few 3G/4G towers of which I can only assume are the ones that are meant to primarily cover I-380. So does this mean Cedar Rapids as a whole will only get these few 4G towers and the rest of the city will still be left without 4G? Or can we expect continued 4G implementation and the maps just cover the completed "steps" of each tower?

hello and welcome! every tower is getting every upgrade (3G/4G/800). the completed sites map is just where they are with the upgrades at this point. so as the days progress more and more towers will get added and updated when each new part gets accepted. for more info on what accepted means take a look at my signature :)

• Like 1

Awesome! Great to hear! Thanks for the fast response.

So basically all of Cedar Rapids will eventually have 4G. It's just a matter of time?

Also thanks for the signature! Very informative.

In there it says 800 and LTE get fired up together correct? And regarding that I have currently 1x800 signal from the Scotty Dr. Tower. Would that mean that tower is up and running both 800 and LTE or is it possible to only get 800?

Awesome! Great to hear! Thanks for the fast response.

So basically all of Cedar Rapids will eventually have 4G. It's just a matter of time?

Also thanks for the signature! Very informative.

In there it says 800 and LTE get fired up together correct? And regarding that I have currently 1x800 signal from the Scotty Dr. Tower. Would that mean that tower is up and running both 800 and LTE or is it possible to only get 800?

yep, every tower in cedar rapids will get voice and 4G on 800, and voice, 3G, and 4G on 1900 and then sometime next year they will add 4G on 2600. right now since they are at the start they are only turning on voice on 800. at some point they will start turning on LTE on 800 and come back and do the rest.of course there are no phones that support LTE on 800 or 2600 yet. so with your current phone you will get voice on 800 and LTE/4G on 1900. then when you upgrade phones next you will be able to start picking up the other things. if you have any other questions let us know :)

• Like 1

Howdy folks! New member from Cedar Falls / Waterloo here. Discovered this awesome forum last weekend, signed up and within a few hours shot some money over to Robert to support this cause! Currently a 4-year Boost supporter and had no idea that Waterloo had one Wimax tower. So for the last week I've been driving around Waterloo adding to the Sensory coverage. As soon as Sprint goes live with 4G here and in Des Moines (that's where my boyfriend lives) we'll both be changing over to Sprint's Unlimited Everything with new Note 3's. I'm hoping it will be like going from walking to making the jump to light speed. ;-) Thanks for all the good info interspersed with friendly banter!

• Like 2

I am hoping to have some NV love in the Quad Cities by Halloween.

Driving on Utica Ridge Road in Bettendorf today I noticed that it looks like Sprint's tower there has new antennas and wiring on it (closest address to it is 4038 Utica Ridge Road, Bettendorf, IA, 52722).  I didn't get up close to the tower though, just what I could see driving by.   

Driving on Utica Ridge Road in Bettendorf today I noticed that it looks like Sprint's tower there has new antennas and wiring on it (closest address to it is 4038 Utica Ridge Road, Bettendorf, IA, 52722).  I didn't get up close to the tower though, just what I could see driving by.   

Here's a thread that has pictures of what Samsung Network Vision equipment looks like:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3906-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-samsung-style/

If you get a chance to snag some pictures and you're a sponsor, post them in the "In Progress" thread and they'll mark the site as "In Progress" on the "Sites Complete Map" This would be the very first site anyone has confirmed to be underway in the Quad Cities market!

Or just post them here so everyone in Iowa/Illinois can enjoy them!  :D

Very exciting for the Quad Cities! You're definitely next for the Network Vision love... Iowa City progress has been stalled for the past couple months, but Cedar Rapids has been averaging 1 new LTE site a week over the last month.