Future LTE bands

Though this seems to persist, I don't believe it to be the case unless they were sold off. Nextel (and thus Sprint) own SMR spectrum licenses in PR and the USVI (as well as Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Marianas Islands though I doubt they'll ever utilize those).

Page 62 of 63 shows the 800MHz spectrum licenses that were purchased at auction 36: http://wireless.fcc....arts/36cls3.pdf

Nextel also purchased the 800MHz SMR B block for PR & USVI in auction 16: http://wireless.fcc....n_summary&id=16

Thanks for pointing this out. I had only gathered that from what I read in the PR/VI market thread.

DOUBLEEDIT - You mention that WiMAX speeds dropped due to available spectrum, CLWR owns an average of 160mhz across markets. I believe they deployed 20mhz carriers and in some areas 2 20mhz carriers per sector but they have more than enough spectrum. I would imagine they didn't deploy additional carriers due to cost and backhaul, not lack of the resource.

Clear only uses 10Mhz channels for their Wimax deployment. They will use 20Mhz and potentially 40MHz channels for LTE.

No, Sprint controls plenty of SMR 800 MHz spectrum in the Southeast, but not quite as much as the 7 MHz x 7 MHz that it controls across much of the country. For that reason, Sprint may deploy 3 MHz FDD LTE in Atlanta, Birmingham, etc.

However, I am hopeful that SouthernLINC -- despite how omnipotent and omniscient the Southern Company reportedly is -- will see that it faces an iDEN dead end and will strike a spectrum sharing agreement with Sprint to deploy 5 MHz FDD LTE.

AJ

AJ, I thought you said in another forum that Solinc allocations are in the SMR expansion and guard bands, so Sprint may have a full 7MHz throughout the country. Do you want me to look for your post:)?

Edited by bigsnake49

AJ, I thought you said in another forum that Solinc allocations are in the SMR expansion and guard bands...

Part of SouthernLINC's rebanded spectrum is below ESMR but part of it is in ESMR, thus eating into Sprint's 14 MHz max allocation.

AJ

Clear only uses 10Mhz channels for their Wimax deployment. They will use 20Mhz and potentially 40MHz channels for LTE.

Thanks, furthering the point though that Clearwire could have deployed many more carriers if they had chosen.

EDIT - Also regarding 800 mhz and site density. Sprint is not removing towers from their network to lose density. 800mhz will be used with the current desnity and I assume more downtilt to give much greater in-building coverage in the areas it covers. The main savings from NV will be incurred due to much cheaper backhaul, i.e. many T1's vs fiber/microwave/AAV as well as shutting down most of the Nextel towers. Right now Sprint is paying to operate two wholly different networks. The use of 800mhz will also reduce roaming costs incurred.

I really don't wanna believe that Sprint would make the same mistake deploying T1 backhaul just to save money. Especially if the point of NV is to future proof their network. I wouldn't touch T1 with a 150 ft cell tower pole if I were them. Unless they want to have another situation like now where everyone complains about their speed and they have to go back and upgrade their network again.

I really don't wanna believe that Sprint would make the same mistake deploying T1 backhaul just to save money. Especially if the point of NV is to future proof their network. I wouldn't touch T1 with a 150 ft cell tower pole if I were them. Unless they want to have another situation like now where everyone complains about their speed and they have to go back and upgrade their network again.

I was stating that Fiber/AAV/Microwave is multitudes cheaper than T1's. Not that they were being cheap by keeping T1's.

I was stating that Fiber/AAV/Microwave is multitudes cheaper than T1's. Not that they were being cheap by keeping T1's.

I know its cheaper, but your post reads as if Sprint was looking to save money by deploying multiple T1's.

I know its cheaper, but your post reads as if Sprint was looking to save money by deploying multiple T1's.

I disagree.... The main savings from NV will be incurred due to much cheaper backhaul, i.e. many T1's vs fiber/microwave/AAV. Many T1's cost > Fiber/Microwave/AAV...?

I disagree.... The main savings from NV will be incurred due to much cheaper backhaul, i.e. many T1's vs fiber/microwave/AAV. Many T1's cost > Fiber/Microwave/AAV...?

Ahhh now I'm seeing what you meant. It's a little confusing because of the order its in. If the statement read "The main savings from NV will be incurred due to much cheaper backhaul, i.e. fiber/microwave/AAV vs many T1's."

But either way, thanks for taking the time to clarify, and 2 thumbs up for cheaper backhaul!

• Like 1

Well LTE is going to be a very spectrum fragmented technology worldwide, people though that the GSM 900/1800/1900 (even before 850 came into play) was fragmented, the sheer number of bands for LTE are freaking insane. I'd fully support Sprint in cooperation with Clear/Getting clear under their full control using the 2.5GHZ Spectrum to deploy Wideband LTE in dense urban areas and can use it to propel their network beyond others with their rich holdings in that band.

BTW: AAV isn't really a technology. It just means someone other than Sprint.

...and not the Twin Bells.

AJ

BTW: AAV isn't really a technology. It just means someone other than Sprint.

Slight correction: AAV is anything that isn't either T1s provided by the local telephone company or microwave hops deployed by Sprint. Generally speaking, that means fiber to (or within a few yards of) the base station, but it could be microwave.

• Like 1

Slight correction: AAV is anything that isn't either T1s provided by the local telephone company or microwave hops deployed by Sprint. Generally speaking, that means fiber to (or within a few yards of) the base station, but it could be microwave.

I wonder if anyone is using any EoC in backhaul. A few companies (XO and Megapath come to mind) are putting a lot of stock in it.

So realistically then the "last mile" would commonly be coax?

So realistically then the "last mile" would commonly be coax?

Extremely unlikely.

In the extreme majority of cases, handoff would be via Ethernet. Whether this Ethernet is carried over Cat5e/6 or SM/MM fiber will depend on the backhaul vendor, but my guess is that most AAV handoffs are/will be gigabit Ethernet over a nice high-end Cat6 cable (copper, shielded twisted pair).

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone is using any EoC in backhaul. A few companies (XO and Megapath come to mind) are putting a lot of stock in it.

Doubt it, for cellular carriers anyway. The thing EoC has going for it is that it's cheap for a relatively low amount of bandwidth (say, 30 Mbps symmetric or less). So small and medium businesses might pick that up as a higher end alternative to business-class cable or NxT1 (N=1 or more, bonded). However it's just not enough bandwidth for a cell site broadcasting LTE.

http://clearwavebroadband.com/

Here's an example of a AAV project in Southern Illinois, a project that was started two years ago and is nearing completion.

*nods* I know those guys well. They received funding from the ARRA. Their project was known as IBOP-South. Other projects in Illinois that received funding are DATA (connected to my network), IBOP-EC (soon connecting to my network), IBOP-NW (will connect to my network later) and UC2B.

Doubt it, for cellular carriers anyway. The thing EoC has going for it is that it's cheap for a relatively low amount of bandwidth (say, 30 Mbps symmetric or less). So small and medium businesses might pick that up as a higher end alternative to business-class cable or NxT1 (N=1 or more, bonded). However it's just not enough bandwidth for a cell site broadcasting LTE.

I believe they have 100x100 EoC deployed. Not that 100x100 is a lot, but there's a lot more copper in the ground than fiber and pretty quick\easy to turn up.

Within Sprint, they use AAV as a catch all term to describe all backhaul that is not either Microwave, direct fiber (Sprint owned) or T1. Even fiber from 3rd parties (like Cox and FPL) are referred to as AAV.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 3

At the lower end of the spectrum, the first 5 GHz contains almost every form of wireless communication you experience other than satellite.

The OP has good intent but way too much incorrect information.

There is satellite in the first 5ghz. Sirius is at 2.3. And another technology of satellite that most people benefit from every day. C Band satellite television. The backhaul of most major television channels.

Sent from a little old Note 2