Future LTE bands

Within Sprint, they use AAV as a catch all term to describe all backhaul that is not either Microwave, direct fiber (Sprint owned) or T1. Even fiber from 3rd parties (like Cox and FPL) are referred to as AAV.

Since Sprint spun off its ILEC (telephone company) division several years back to what is now CenturyLink (formerly Embarq), I'd imagine that there is very, very little Sprint fiber-to-the-tower out there.

Know of any markets where any significant number of towers are connected via Sprint fiber? Kansas market, maybe?

EDIT: Did some sleuthing of the Premiere Sponsor maps. Interesting stuff...

So I have a couple of questions that I've been sitting on for a while' date=' but I think that my questions are only valid assuming that I've pieced the following information together right:

Based off of what I've read on S4GRU, it seems that Sprint has a greater site density than the other carriers. This is, at least in part, due to Sprint running only on 1900MHz for 3G which does not travel or penetrate as far as AT&T’s 850MHz or Verizon’s 800MHz (both also use 1900MHz for 3G). We know that Sprint has roughly 38,000 towers and T-Mobile has about 35,000. T-Mobile also uses 1900MHz in addition to 1700/2100MHz for 3G.

1.) Do Verizon and AT&T have lower density, but an overall equal or greater number of towers since they seem to cover rural areas better than Sprint and T-Mobile?

2.) If Sprint has more towers in a given market, then would outfitting 80% of those towers with 800MHz LTE still give them the same number of towers that other carriers have that transmit LTE on 700MHz LTE in that market? I also remember you stating that Sprint’s 800MHz LTE would still have 97% of the distance/penetration characteristics as the other carriers' 700MHz LTE, so we can assume they're about equal in that regard.

3.) Will Verizon and AT&T deploy LTE on all of their frequencies (700, 1700/2100MHz for both) across all of their towers at some point? Do they have a Network Vision-like strategy?[/quote']

For your third question, it would bd ideal for carriers to do this, but I think for most, they will wait until they deem it necessary to do so.

The OP has good intent but way too much incorrect information.

There is satellite in the first 5ghz. Sirius is at 2.3. And another technology of satellite that most people benefit from every day. C Band satellite television. The backhaul of most major television channels.

Sent from a little old Note 2

Well correct, satellite radio is there as is GPS (the most widely used GPS), but I'd reckon that most forms of satellite communications are above 5 GHz. That said, that wasn't one of my main points.

I think Verizon's strategy is to use LTE for everything eventually. They're going to have to get LTE over way more cells for that to happen. 1X will truck on for a long time as a fallback standard.

• 3 weeks later...
I think Verizon's strategy is to use LTE for everything eventually. They're going to have to get LTE over way more cells for that to happen. 1X will truck on for a long time as a fallback standard.

Sprint is doing operations similar to this. Sprint stated that their network vision plan will upgrade 3G technology on their entire nationwide 3G network. They also stated that LTE will cover similar to what their 3G footprint covers.

• 4 months later...

I have a question for this board. I own a 800mhz trunking system lower 800mhz 855-860 MHz. I am wondering what is the future of this band with the sprint plans? No radio companies are creating new radios for dealers. It just seems to be in limbo. Does anyone think sprint will start buying these channels up as Nextel did. What are your thoughts any speculation appreciated.

I have a question for this board. I own a 800mhz trunking system lower 800mhz 855-860 MHz. I am wondering what is the future of this band with the sprint plans? No radio companies are creating new radios for dealers. It just seems to be in limbo. Does anyone think sprint will start buying these channels up as Nextel did. What are your thoughts any speculation appreciated.

Is that ESMR?

Is that ESMR?

It is rebanded SMR 800 MHz, but not rebanded ESMR. See the graphic in my article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-90-fcc-ready-to-give-sprint-official-go-ahead-on-smr-800-mhz-wideband-operation/

On the downlink, 855-860 MHz is "high site," non cellular SMR, so as not to create interference with Public Safety. For that reason, it is basically off limits to Sprint.

AJ

• Like 1