Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

Yeah, Looks like they are launching LTE for those where were lucky enough to already have WiMax.  The rest of us who were not so lucky have to continue to suffer with the old network for a while longer.

This is about the spot Clear wire ran out of $$ last time... Leaving Irvine at a snails pace..  I am hopeful that with the Softbank buyout it won't be a repeat of that with LTE roll out.

Any delays are not from sprint so much as it would be from it's subcontractors or local governments.  The fact that we have movement is enough to indicate it's not stopping anytime soon.

Anyone else notice that the Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List has been updated showing that OC is launched as of 10/31/13?  

I really hope this is true, but they really need to speed up deployment in Irvine and south.. The NV sites complete maps look really spotty down hear for even 3G complete much less LTE.

Yeah, Looks like they are launching LTE for those where were lucky enough to already have WiMax.  The rest of us who were not so lucky have to continue to suffer with the old network for a while longer.

This is about the spot Clear wire ran out of $$ last time... Leaving Irvine at a snails pace..  I am hopeful that with the Softbank buyout it won't be a repeat of that with LTE roll out.

Irvine was definitely left in the dust when WiMAX stopped expansion. However, just in the past two weeks that I've been a sponsor, I've seen at least 4 new towers pop up in the Irvine/Tustin area, so things are definitely looking up. Not only that, but the Network Vision Site Acceptance Thread also shows that OC is starting to accelerate when it comes to NV since the end of September. This is definitely not the same Sprint they were previous to the SoftBank/Sprint/Clearwire acquisitions.

Any delays are not from sprint so much as it would be from it's subcontractors or local governments.  The fact that we have movement is enough to indicate it's not stopping anytime soon.

Before the SoftBank buyout I personally didn't hold much hope of Sprint having enough cash to complete the vision with customers leaving in mass due to poor service while towers were being upgraded.  But now they have plenty of cash to complete the project and as you said, subcontractors and local governments should be the only hold ups now.

I'm glad that sprint gonna announce OC , but I'm thinking about the quality of LTE in OC specially after we all learned that deploying LTE over 800 will be delayed till 2016 because OC located in  IBEZ zone. Is LTE over 1900 and 2500 will be enough for us with their weak signal penetration?

I'm glad that sprint gonna announce OC , but I'm thinking about the quality of LTE in OC specially after we all learned that deploying LTE over 800 will be delayed till 2016 because OC located in  IBEZ zone. Is LTE over 1900 and 2500 will be enough for us with their weak signal penetration?

The tighter cell spacing compensates for the higher frequencies. Though even tight spacing will not make 2500 usable everywhere, it will still have issues inside. However, if you have 3G inside, than 95% of the time you will also have LTE inside.

Also keep in mind the launch is only Santa Ana and Anaheim. The rest of OC doesn't meet launch qualifications yet.

• Like 2

The tighter cell spacing compensates for the higher frequencies. Though even tight spacing will not make 2500 usable everywhere, it will still have issues inside. However, if you have 3G inside, than 95% of the time you will also have LTE inside.

Also keep in mind the launch is only Santa Ana and Anaheim. The rest of OC doesn't meet launch qualifications yet.

I went to the Sprint website to see if they updated the LTE coverage map yet, and I still saw their LTE footprint stop at the LA county OC boarder. I really want to see what area they qualify as "Santa Ana / Anaheim", because I've been around Garden Grove and Westminster, and I get LTE all over the place there (and Sensorly confirms this). I do know Tustin/Irvine and south don't really get LTE yet, but I'm just curious to see what parts of OC are included in "Santa Ana / Anaheim" or if they really will just show a giant LTE coverage area around ONLY Santa Ana and Anaheim in their coverage maps.

I went to the Sprint website to see if they updated the LTE coverage map yet, and I still saw their LTE footprint stop at the LA county OC boarder. I really want to see what area they qualify as "Santa Ana / Anaheim", because I've been around Garden Grove and Westminster, and I get LTE all over the place there (and Sensorly confirms this). I do know Tustin/Irvine and south don't really get LTE yet, but I'm just curious to see what parts of OC are included in "Santa Ana / Anaheim" or if they really will just show a giant LTE coverage area around ONLY Santa Ana and Anaheim in their coverage maps.

Work in Costa Mesa, LTE covers were the 57 ends and the 22, all the way down to euclid and the 405. Pretty good coverage of LTE. I was impressed that all towers in Santa Ana were 4G LTE accepted real quick so saw it coming.

Hope coverage increases as LTE disconnects when I step into my office building. 

• Like 1

Apparently there was an issue updating the coverage maps and it will be updated tomorrow. We will see.

Maps have been updated. Looks like they're showing the coverage for all of OC, even though the other cities weren't listed in the launch release.

• Like 2

How accurate are the LTE coverage maps on Sprint's website?  Looking in Irvine where I work is says I should have the "Best" LTE.  Seems like wishful thinking since it only shows "Fair" voice coverage which is accurate on the good days. 

I have checked sensorly but nobody with an LTE phone has mapped the area recently.

By the way... for people who aren't believers in Sprint expanding LTE in OC, here is a speed test I did last night inside of Ralph's on the corner of Newport and Irvine Blvd in Tustin. This area did not have LTE last week.  :tu:

Screenshot_2013-10-30-19-15-40.png

• Like 2

Anyone know if OC was included in LA with that Spark announcement? Or is it just LA that will be sparked? 

I believe it's just LA for now. For OC, you should be seeing "Spark" where ever there is WiMAX in the coming months, since they're using Clearwire's Spectrum for that.

How accurate are the LTE coverage maps on Sprint's website?  Looking in Irvine where I work is says I should have the "Best" LTE.  Seems like wishful thinking since it only shows "Fair" voice coverage which is accurate on the good days. 

I have checked sensorly but nobody with an LTE phone has mapped the area recently.

Sensorly has been updated recently, it's just that Irvine really isn't covered yet. For example, the dark section of LTE you see on the corner of Culver/Irvine Center Dr.? That's completely new that was not there 2-3 weeks ago.

It's well documented that Sprint's coverage maps aren't always real representative of real life situations. They don't take into account things like building or trees, or small terrain changes very well.

Anyone know if OC was included in LA with that Spark announcement? Or is it just LA that will be sparked? 

Just LA.  OC will not get 800 lte 

"Spark" has more to do with TD-LTE than it does 800 LTE, so yes, the OC and San Diego will see "Spark." It may be some time before these area see 800 LTE, but work has started between the US and Mexican governments to rebrand the SMR band along the border. It may take a couple of years to finish up though. 

Sensorly has been updated recently, it's just that Irvine really isn't covered yet. For example, the dark section of LTE you see on the corner of Culver/Irvine Center Dr.? That's completely new that was not there 2-3 weeks ago.

Yeah I understand that.  The area I was interested in nobody ever drives. (I am the only one who put 3G and WiMax mapping on sensorly for it).  If you zoom in you can tell everyone turned before they got here.

(the new section of Lake Forest Dr from Irvine center to the 133 and also Bake from irvine center to Lake forest) 

I believe it's just LA for now. For OC, you should be seeing "Spark" where ever there is WiMAX in the coming months, since they're using Clearwire's Spectrum for that.

That's what I thought I read. That majority of old clearwire wimax sites were gonna be spark capable first.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Just LA.  OC will not get 800 lte 

How about 800 SMR (voice) or OC?  I live in Anaheim and even though all of the towers in my area have received their NV upgrades, my voice is still really bad at home - 1 bar is the best I get and I can't hold a call unless I stand at the front door.

• Like 1

How about 800 SMR (voice) or OC?  I live in Anaheim and even though all of the towers in my area have received their NV upgrades, my voice is still really bad at home - 1 bar is the best I get and I can't hold a call unless I stand at the front door.

I would say if you are getting only 1 bar in the house, there may be another tower left.  check out the links in my sig, that will get you some amazing information for the price of decent lunch.

I didn't believe Sprint at first, but today was the first day I noticed that an NV upgraded tower has better coverage. Unfortunately I noticed this because I normally have 4g 20 mbs speed at the beach and now I have 0.25 mbs from a newly 3g NV upgraded tower that has yet to receive updated backhaul. Before, the NV 4g tower ruled the area. Can't wait for upgrades backhaul on the new tower

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

After Orange County launched officially, I suddenly lost my 4g LTE signal at home. Called Sprint & let their technical support know about our worsening call signal, dropped calls inside the house, & no more 4g LTE. According to the tech, they said the tower is undergoing more work/updates due to an increase in Sprint subscribers. :P

I'm in LA right now and I must say the 4g coverage has been pretty impressive. Better than when I used to come here with my WiMax E4GT. However, going inside buildings often takes me right down to 3G. :(

After Orange County launched officially, I suddenly lost my 4g LTE signal at home. Called Sprint & let their technical support know about our worsening call signal, dropped calls inside the house, & no more 4g LTE. According to the tech, they said the tower is undergoing more work/updates due to an increase in Sprint subscribers. :P

I'm in LA right now and I must say the 4g coverage has been pretty impressive. Better than when I used to come here with my WiMax E4GT. However, going inside buildings often takes me right down to 3G. :(

At least you have official Sprint support (whether you get it or not is another story) if you have problems with LTE! :tu:

Woot. LTE all over Orange County. Looks like I picked the perfect time to jump on board with Sprint. It's my first smartphone, too.

Congrats! I'm glad I decided to stay with Sprint too. When I joined Sprint for the first time, it was June of 2012 and our family all picked up the E4GT, WiMax phones. Lucky for us, WiMax was almost everywhere where we went.

Then I skipped on the gs3 b/c I found this site and didn't believe what the Sprint reps were telling me - LTE in Orange County by the end of 2012 and or early 2013.

When the GS4 came out, I bought it off-contract and used it with 3g and WiFi. Luckily, 3 & 1/2 months later, my area got LTE and now LTE is Sprint official and pretty darn good. :D

The timing worked out very well, all thanks to S4Gru. :)