Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

Called Sprint again today b/c of the continuing data connection problem in Orange on Tustin/Katella. After initially saying there were no problems, they told me today that they have identified a dead cell at one of the towers and a technician will be sent out. Does anyone know how long this type of repair normally takes?

When I was troubleshooting the data connection problem on my own using an app, I saw my phone jumping from one tower to the next within seconds from each other. The app traced my phone connecting to 7 different towers while I was sitting down at the same spot! And my signal bar was fluctuating like crazy, going from zero bars to full to roaming and so on and so on. So annoying~!

Yes that tower at Katella and Tustin behind office depot has been down for the better part of 30 days now with the exception of a few temporary restorations.  It's a shorted out RRU on the South facing sector which causes the entire site to shut down.  I've been keeping an eye on it to see what happens.  Sprint is aware of it and has attempted to fix it but so far no luck.  This is one of the busiest cell sites in Orange and with it down all your phone picks up is pilot pollution from distant neighborring cell sites.  I noticed the same thing when I tested in debug mode there yesterday. 

Also the site in Tustin At 1st St and the 55 is down indefinitely after a fire burned the building.  It might not be back for months as they were unable to set up a temporary COW.  That entire area betwen 1st and 17th and along Tustin Ave is hurting. Data is pretty much dead.

• Like 2

It looks like it's not all of Southern Cali that gets screwed, but it does look like all of Orange County after all. And the SE corner of LA County. It might not all be because of the IBEZ. There may be another SMR license holder in the area too. Seems like I remember AJ mentioning this before.

In the graphic below, you can see a map of the LA Metro market. The red sites will not receive any 800 MHZ service (CDMA or LTE). There are some areas here and there that will not get 800 for other reasons. But you can see all of SE LA County doesn't receive 800. That has to be either from the IBEZ or because of possibly another license holder in Orange County.

Robert

Where was this map retrieved from? Also is there a way to confirm that there is another SMR license holder in the region? Hopefully this is because of the IBEZ and hopefully be resolved with the reband plan. This map confirms why the 2 NV upgraded sites out in Hacienda/Rowland Heights only have 1900 MHz RRUs installed but it does have the 800 and 1900 MHz NV panels installed. This is good in that if the 800 MHz were allowed to be deployed at some point in the future they wouldn't need to have a NV panel swap and simply add a 800 MHz RRU for support.

Noobie question coming up! :P Even if we end up with 800MHz voice and data, is my GS4 able to take advantage of that?

Called Sprint again today b/c of the continuing data connection problem in Orange on Tustin/Katella. After initially saying there were no problems, they told me today that they have identified a dead cell at one of the towers and a technician will be sent out. Does anyone know how long this type of repair normally takes?

When I was troubleshooting the data connection problem on my own using an app, I saw my phone jumping from one tower to the next within seconds from each other. The app traced my phone connecting to 7 different towers while I was sitting down at the same spot! And my signal bar was fluctuating like crazy, going from zero bars to full to roaming and so on and so on. So annoying~!

Yes that tower at Katella and Tustin behind office depot has been down for the better part of 30 days now with the exception of a few temporary restorations. It's a shorted out RRU on the South facing sector which causes the entire site to shut down. I've been keeping an eye on it to see what happens. Sprint is aware of it and has attempted to fix it but so far no luck. This is one of the busiest cell sites in Orange and with it down all your phone picks up is pilot pollution from distant neighborring cell sites. I noticed the same thing when I tested in debug mode there yesterday.

Also the site in Tustin At 1st St and the 55 is down indefinitely after a fire burned the building. It might not be back for months as they were unable to set up a temporary COW. That entire area betwen 1st and 17th and along Tustin Ave is hurting. Data is pretty much dead.

Thx for the info! You've been more helpful than Sprint reps I've been talking to for the past 2 to 3 weeks! :D

About a week and half ago, I briefly picked up 4G LTE in the Batavia and Fletcher area. Speedtest showed that my DL speed was 18Mbps. Do you know what that was about? Ever since that way, I haven't picked up 4G LTE.

Noobie question coming up! :P Even if we end up with 800MHz voice and data, is my GS4 able to take advantage of that?

The current GS4 for CDMA..YES but LTE...NO!!!  All LTE devices thus far does not support 800 MHz LTE.  If Sprint does decide to release an updated version of the GS4 (rumored) with triband LTE support then this new model can support 800 MHz.

• Like 1

The current GS4 for CDMA..YES but LTE...NO!!! All LTE devices thus far does not support 800 MHz LTE. If Sprint does decide to release an updated version of the GS4 (rumored) with triband LTE support then this new model can support 800 MHz.

Thx! So if Robert said is true, even if the Note 3 and GS5 support 800Mhz LTE, Orange County people might not be able to take advantage of it? If so, I might leave Sprint after my contract expires. I'm on my first year with Sprint and I'm not feeling too hopeful about their network despite the completion of the Softbank, Clearwire, and Sprint deal.

Thx! So if Robert said is true, even if the Note 3 and GS5 support 800Mhz LTE, Orange County people might not be able to take advantage of it? If so, I might leave Sprint after my contract expires. I'm on my first year with Sprint and I'm not feeling too hopeful about their network despite the completion of the Softbank, Clearwire, and Sprint deal.

Well Sprint is working with the FCC and Mexican officials to work out a US/Mexico reband plan so that they can use part of the 800 MHz for CDMA and LTE.  The proposed reband plan is in the pic below.  You can see from the new band plan that Sprint will have access to 5.5 x 5.5 MHz which Sprint can deploy a 3x3 LTE and a CDMA carrier in San Diego.  

If the reason for Sprint not to deploy LTE in Orange County is because of this US/Mexico IBEZ restriction even though its beyond the 55 mile minimum distance, hopefully once this reband is done at least Orange County they can deploy the full 7x7 MHz ESMR band with a 5x5 LTE carrier and starting from San Clemente and south only a 3x3 LTE carrier will be deployed.

BandPlan.jpg

• Like 3

Thx for the info! You've been more helpful than Sprint reps I've been talking to for the past 2 to 3 weeks! :D

About a week and half ago, I briefly picked up 4G LTE in the Batavia and Fletcher area. Speedtest showed that my DL speed was 18Mbps. Do you know what that was about? Ever since that way, I haven't picked up 4G LTE.

Probably because the cell site near Fletcher and Glassell has LTE installed but might still be in the testing phase.

They were working on it last night and it appears like it's been fixed now.  Let me know if it's back to normal now.

They were working on it last night and it appears like it's been fixed now. Let me know if it's back to normal now.

Not 100% yet. I connected fine around 12PM when I was at that intersection but later in the day, around 4PM, the data connection was bad. It didn't jump around crazy like it did last Friday but it jumped around about 3 to 4 times and my phone constantly showed only 1x. With 1x, I couldn't open up anything - Yahoo mail, XDA, Phandroid. :(

Not 100% yet. I connected fine around 12PM when I was at that intersection but later in the day, around 4PM, the data connection was bad. It didn't jump around crazy like it did last Friday but it jumped around about 3 to 4 times and my phone constantly showed only 1x. With 1x, I couldn't open up anything - Yahoo mail, XDA, Phandroid. :(

Yeah you are right.  The site was working in the morning but later it shut down again.  As of 11PM last night it was restored again.  Hopefully this time it will stay operational but with the way this site has been malfunctioning I wouldn't bet on it.  Never seen an outage this prolonged before that wasn't caused by fire or something like that.

I'm now getting a strong lte signal in my office near MacArthur and Dove Street. RSRP signal is around -102. Getting around 5mbps down, 3mbps up. Used to only get spotty lte outside.

Anyone have an app recommendation I could download to find out which tower I'm connected to? I'm using an HTC One.

I'm now getting a strong lte signal in my office near MacArthur and Dove Street. RSRP signal is around -102. Getting around 5mbps down, 3mbps up. Used to only get spotty lte outside.

Anyone have an app recommendation I could download to find out which tower I'm connected to? I'm using an HTC One.

Signalcheck

• Like 1

So I've noticed very poor service all over Newport and pretty much everywhere in Orange County for the last few weeks and yes some of you have mentioned the roll out of LTE has slowed way down as well. I'm getting pretty irritated that I can't even send a MMS message 3/4 of the time and the lag in receiving text messages is mind blowing. I really do understand what is being taken on here but it needs to be done with out any interruption. Also why is there not a lot of this work going 24/7? Hell hire me and I will be working nights at sites. Want a speedy roll out then have a 24/7 schedule. I do hope Softbank knocks the lose screws out of Sprint and steps up the game with this roll out. Oh and Sprint don't blame it all on the vendors for the slow process.

Yeah you are right. The site was working in the morning but later it shut down again. As of 11PM last night it was restored again. Hopefully this time it will stay operational but with the way this site has been malfunctioning I wouldn't bet on it. Never seen an outage this prolonged before that wasn't caused by fire or something like that.

Today was the first day in a long while that data worked properly both in the morning AND afternoon on Tustin and Katella. :D And what's interesting is that when I stand in front of the CVS building, Signal Pro first detects 4G LTE and I'm connected to it! It would be nice if LTE is activated soon in that area as well as Fletcher and Batavia.

So I've noticed very poor service all over Newport and pretty much everywhere in Orange County for the last few weeks and yes some of you have mentioned the roll out of LTE has slowed way down as well. I'm getting pretty irritated that I can't even send a MMS message 3/4 of the time and the lag in receiving text messages is mind blowing. I really do understand what is being taken on here but it needs to be done with out any interruption. Also why is there not a lot of this work going 24/7? Hell hire me and I will be working nights at sites. Want a speedy roll out then have a 24/7 schedule. I do hope Softbank knocks the lose screws out of Sprint and steps up the game with this roll out. Oh and Sprint don't blame it all on the vendors for the slow process.

It should pick up soon. When I was still working at sprint I heard the the higher ups talking the network vision did slow because of having to put the budget on paper and they had to maintain that until the deal was final. The whole dish fiasco really delayed the Softbank deal. Now that all the deals are done softbank's main focus is to boost network speeds.

It should pick up soon. When I was still working at sprint I heard the the higher ups talking the network vision did slow because of having to put the budget on paper and they had to maintain that until the deal was final. The whole dish fiasco really delayed the Softbank deal. Now that all the deals are done softbank's main focus is to boost network speeds.

Yeah I was doing some digging and the network is the main focus. Thank god the have the cash flow to really push hard now. Here's to crossing our fingers.

Today was the first day in a long while that data worked properly both in the morning AND afternoon on Tustin and Katella. :D And what's interesting is that when I stand in front of the CVS building, Signal Pro first detects 4G LTE and I'm connected to it! It would be nice if LTE is activated soon in that area as well as Fletcher and Batavia.

The Katella/Tustin tower does have LTE installed and ready to go.  But they haven't officially activated it yet unless maybe for some quick testing.

• Like 1

The Katella/Tustin tower does have LTE installed and ready to go. But they haven't officially activated it yet unless maybe for some quick testing.

That's very good to know! Thx! You've been just full of good info. :)

The data was back to being shitty again in the parking lot at Tustin and Katella. :P The phone signal bounced around a couple times and no data. It was perfect in the late morning though.

After being no data inside the parking lot, when I stood next to Tony's Donut shop later, my phone picked up 4G LTE and it was pretty fast (didn't do a Speedtest).

Data connection was good the whole day today. No bouncing around at all. :D The phone was steadily connected to the tower at Katella and Glassell according to Signalcheck Pro.

Interesting thing was that the connection type changed to EVDO from EHRPD, where it's normally eHRPD.

Sensorly works really fast! I got 4G LTE in the parking lot of CVS pharmacy at Tustin and Katella and I remembered to turn on Sensorly today. And it showed up on their Sensorly LTE map right away! :D

It seems like Sprint has finally fixed the data and voice call issue as data have been reliable and fast for the past few days.

Sensorly works really fast! I got 4G LTE in the parking lot of CVS pharmacy at Tustin and Katella and I remembered to turn on Sensorly today. And it showed up on their Sensorly LTE map right away! :D

It seems like Sprint has finally fixed the data and voice call issue as data have been reliable and fast for the past few days.

I have noticed it go. Sensorly won't add your mapping while you are mapping, but once you stop mapping it uploads immediately. I believe they have said they give either 4G(HSPA+ and LTE) or just LTE priority over 3G when loading newly mapped areas.

This is about the average speeds I'm getting on the peninsula at Newport Beach. Good grief.Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Every day I go down there I lose my mind. One of the WORST places for Sprint and they haven't even bothered to do a damn thing about it. 4th of July I couldn't even connect a call once out of the 10 hours I was down there to call friends. A vacation hot spot for people and they can't use their phones if needed.