Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

markjcc

Here's that cell site, new Carrier on top of it.

0c56f6719e854e1b7b4de275ec62db15.jpg

8bae79b80b16d8240dff5c95d242d113.jpg

Can anybody identify whose on the top and bottom?

It appears the panels are installed but isn't hooked up yet (judging from that dangling wire)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Mobile I'm pretty sure.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

Mark...why are all ur speedtest pics with such high ping?

Several thousand miles of Pacific Ocean.  Think about it...

AJ

• Like 1

Mark...why are all ur speedtest pics with such high ping?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sprint and T-Mobile have different routes in my area.

Where as Verizon and AT&T may have a low latency locally, testing mainland would yield high pings

Sprint and T-Mo are opposite, high latency on local servers and low latency on mainland servers.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1409667621

• Like 1

Sprint and T-Mobile have different routes in my area.

Where as Verizon and AT&T may have a low latency locally, testing mainland would yield high pings

Sprint and T-Mo are opposite, high latency on local servers and low latency on mainland servers.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1409667621

Got it.  Thanks for clearing it up.

Several thousand miles of Pacific Ocean.  Think about it...

AJ

Oh yeah.... The screenshots that display hosted by Hawaiian Telecom and University of Hawaii just screams thousands of miles of Pacific Ocean from the continental US rather than local servers  :)

Oh yeah.... The screenshots that display hosted by Hawaiian Telecom and University of Hawaii just screams thousands of miles of Pacific Ocean from the continental US rather than local servers  :)

You have no idea how directly offshore IP connections are routed.

AJ

Got it. Thanks for clearing it up.

Oh yeah.... The screenshots that display hosted by Hawaiian Telecom and University of Hawaii just screams thousands of miles of Pacific Ocean from the continental US rather than local servers :).

Sprint is obviously routing it stateside then back to the islands with a ping that high. That happens all the time with island networks. They get processed stateside and routed back.

It's amazing how in a place like Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico, how often you will go through the Continental U.S. just to connect to a server next door.

It's really no different than watching a trace route of your wireless connection in the U.S. On AT&T LTE locally, to get to a server in Gillette, Wyoming from Rapid City, South Dakota (just 90 miles apart) my trace goes to Sioux Falls, SD > Kansas City, MO > St. Louis, MO > Chicago, IL > Denver, CO > Cheyenne, WY > Gillette, WY and takes ~130ms.

However, if I run a trace route to tiny Wamego, KS (700 miles away), the same AT&T LTE ping will be ~50ms. Because it just goes to Sioux Falls > Kansas City > Wamego.

And right next to my AT&T phone is my ISP from Vast Broadband. It routes to Gillette this way. Home > Rapid City > Gillette. And it does it in 10ms. Part of it is because it has no air interface. But my local ISP routes directly from their local switch right on the internet backbone along I-90 to Gillette, WY. However, it takes longer on it to go eastbound. Because it routes through Denver most things. So it's faster for me to get to Albuquerque, NM on my local ISP than just 110 miles east of here in Pierre, SD.

In Hawaii, many of the trace routes will go through one of the several undersea fiber line connections to California, get processed and then sent back to Hawaii, if that is its final destination. And even though this may sound inefficient, the cause for this is because 95%+ of Hawaiians internet connections are to servers out of the islands. They are either stateside or beyond.

Sprint does have a DDC on Oahu. It is capable of some processing of data and routing in between the islands. But it does not necessarily know it is intraisland traffic always. And its more likely to work for traffic on Oahu going to Oahu. If you're on Kauai, Maui, Lanai or the Big Island, the chances of getting routed stateside first goes up.

Don't forget that on Sprint's LTE network, they use dynamic routing to its DDC's based on loads/demand. If the Oahu DDC is overloaded, then even local requests will have to go stateside to another DDC. It will be a frequent occurrence when traffic gets routed to the mainland first. Pings will be higher. It is life outside the 48.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 6

Does anybody know how wide Sprint's 1900 PCS LTE is in Hawaii? 5x5? 10x10?

I think it's 5x5 but do you think Sprint could gain more PCS spectrum to get 10x10?

Sprint currently has 5x5 B25 LTE. But will likely go to 10x10 after some refarming. They should have enough spectrum because I recall Hawaii being a 40MHz market.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sprint currently has 5x5 B25 LTE. But will likely go to 10x10 after some refarming. They should have enough spectrum because I recall Hawaii being a 40MHz market.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ooh, awesome. When does refarming occur?

Hawaii is licensed 1870-1880 / 1950-1960,  1885-1890 / 1965-1970, and 1910-1915 / 1990-1995. As refarming is occuring in all markets where there is spectrum, it is highly likely they'll place a future 2nd B25 5 MHz carrier in 1885-1890 E block. 

• Like 1

[emoji47] oh well, still happy with sprint.

Just so you understand that the "NO" above is due to not a technological thing but rather a spectrum limitation in the 800 MHz band. The 800 MHz ESMR band that Sprint owns is only a 7x7 block (817-824 MHz, 862-869 MHz).  Sprint's plan for 800 MHz is to run a 5x5 MHz LTE block (where ever available, if not available a 3x3 MHz LTE block will be used) and a single CDMA carrier (1.25x1.25 MHz).  Therefore its not physically able to run a 10x10 block.

• Like 1

Just so you understand that the "NO" above is due to not a technological thing but rather a spectrum limitation in the 800 MHz band. The 800 MHz ESMR band that Sprint owns is only a 7x7 block (817-824 MHz, 862-869 MHz).  Sprint's plan for 800 MHz is to run a 5x5 MHz LTE block (where ever available, if not available a 3x3 MHz LTE block will be used) and a single CDMA carrier (1.25x1.25 MHz).  Therefore its not physically able to run a 10x10 block.

Makes sense, Thanks for clarifying that!

I've noticed this just now, most Sprint sites in this market are using Microwave. Is there any advantages for Sprint using microwave rather than having fiber running to the site?

Edit; Even T-Mobile actually, Using microwave. VZW and AT&T running fiber to sites.

I've noticed this just now, most Sprint sites in this market are using Microwave. Is there any advantages for Sprint using microwave rather than having fiber running to the site?

Edit; Even T-Mobile actually, Using microwave. VZW and AT&T running fiber to sites.

It is much faster to deploy while waiting for the fiber drops to be run to the site. The original NV upgrades were impacted by slow backhaul installation (permitting, landlords), so it seems like they are relying more on microwave this time around.

• Like 1

I think I've located a Nextel iDen conversion, anyway I can verify this?

I noticed this because where I work, there's a really weak LTE signal and now suddenly there's a strong -75 sometimes -80 dbm connection to 3G

I think I've located a Nextel iDen conversion, anyway I can verify this?

I noticed this because where I work, there's a really weak LTE signal and now suddenly there's a strong -75 sometimes -80 dbm connection to 3G

Verify which site the signal is coming from, and then see if it is on the NV maps in the sponsor section. If it is not, take some pictures and post and we can verify that it is a new site.

Verify which site the signal is coming from, and then see if it is on the NV maps in the sponsor section. If it is not, take some pictures and post and we can verify that it is a new site.

Confirmed old Nextel site (Via permits), Not on NV maps. Going to try and take pics today.

Also it's infront of a Clearwire cell site, odd they chose to upgrade the Nextel site but not the Clearwire..

Maybe because the Nextel site is on a building and Clearwire site is on a skinny pole lol!

I'm confused now, all leads went to that Nextel site. Which they had a permit in 2010 to do work on it. Now the panels are gone. Yet -76dbm somewhere.

There's two towers in the background. I think one is Verizon and one is Clearwire.

Looks like Nextel is gone..

756a8e1f712cf1d5810b60acefaed804.jpg

This is the site before (2011)

bb16bc2275.jpg

31111389ef30d535d54fe709e127c532.jpg

Is Hawaii safe from the injunction of WiMAX? Is the shutdown on schedule?

Hawaii cannot be shut down.  Sorry.