Switching to the iPhone 5

stitch1007

Hi everyone,

I currently have the Evo LTE however because it can't hold its LTE signal I am really thinking about switching the the iPhone 5. Is there any real reason I shouldn't make this jump? Will I miss the Evo? I use my phone mostly for music, chat, videos, web/news, and social networking. You could just say I am a power user. Since getting this Evo I stopped rooting/modding my phone because I don't really see a need on this phone.

So is this all crazy talk and I just need talked of the ledge or should I just jump head 1st back into iOS?

Thanks,

• Like 2

iPhone is a great phone. I see nothing wrong with switching to an iPhone. It is not customizable like android, but if that is not a big deal, then I would say go for it. You always have jailbreaking in the future.

The only thing I would say is check out how you like video on it, since going from 4.7 to 4 is a big jump in screen real estate.

• Like 2

Noooo.. Think about the Huge beautiful screen, and the kicstand, and and and and and.... A couple of other things...

Personally I have a vendetta against apple because of their business practices and their arrogant position against their own products. If I can fix my phone on my own, then I will. But it's hard to fix an iPhone if it's without the help of apple. I get what you mean with the whole LTE issue, and hopefully they will fix it in the future with a software update.

On the plus side, with an iPhone you know that it has a very tight knit ecosystem of apps, and what not. You will get timely updates, and possibly some of the best community support. The decision is always yours.

-Luis

• Like 2

Tough choice. I can say that the 5 seems to be good at acquiring and keeping LTE when it's available, but I don't have an LTE Android phone, so I can't give you a quantitative answer that it's truly better.

From my experience, power users tend to be happier with Android than iPhone because of the modifications they can make, but I'm a power user, develop for iOS and Android, and have access to phones on all platforms. My informed personal choice is iPhone, but if it didn't exist, I'd be similarly happy with a SGIII...

Except, of course, the SGIII wouldn't look like it does and would have a slide down keyboard if it weren't for the iPhone's influence. (it's just a joke, guys, it's just a joke).

• Like 1

One thing to consider before making the jump is how married you are to Android apps. If you've spent a significant amount of money on apps then those are immediately useless to you even if the same app is available on iOS.

• Like 3

Get the iPhone 5. It's screaming fast and has a beautiful (though, yes, smaller) screen. Also, it would be useful to make a list of what apps you currently use on your Evo and then see how much (if anything) those apps will cost on the iPhone App Store. If those apps don't amount to much then I think you don't have much to lose.

• Like 2

The apps I'm not too worried about. Also most of the ones I have now are free or are serviced based like Spotify. I know most of the Google apps that I use now have a way of working over there other then maps.

One question I do have though... is there anyway to view the Apple app store from a browser like you can the Google Play store?

• Like 2

The apps I'm not too worried about. Also most of the ones I have now are free or are serviced based like Spotify. I know most of the Google apps that I use now have a way of working over there other then maps.

One question I do have though... is there anyway to view the Apple app store from a browser like you can the Google Play store?

See if this still works. http://m.gizmodo.com/5475173/access-the-whole-itunes-app-store-through-your-browser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not directly, but you can use a site like http://appshopper.com/ to search for apps from your desktop browser and then use the app for the website to get them later. I use it all the time for my iPad and love the wishlist feature. I can add an app to my wishlist and then get notified when the app goes on sale or is updated.

• Like 1

Here is the direct link to the App Store preview that Bollar was referencing above.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios/id36?mt=8

• Like 2

One of the most noticeable and talked about features of the iPhone 5 is its new display.

There was a CNET piece the other day that said the GS3 display is better: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57524291-37/color-me-prettier-galaxy-s3-display-outdoes-iphone-5s/

Robert via ICS Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There was a CNET piece the other day that said the GS3 display is better: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57524291-37/color-me-prettier-galaxy-s3-display-outdoes-iphone-5s/

Robert via ICS Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

And DisplayMate's analysis greatly favors the iPhone. http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

We're all better served looking at the screens side by side and seeing which we prefer.

And DisplayMate's analysis greatly favors the iPhone. http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

We're all better served looking at the screens side by side and seeing which we prefer.

Definitely. I was just actually surprised that there were any articles that claimed the iPhone had an inferior display.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

When family and friends ask about Android or iOS first thing I ask is about current/previous devices. If you are already in an ecosystem then all your stuff from that will not transfer over easily or at all. However, if that is not an issue, then go and play with an iP5 vs a GS3 and buy which ever you like better.

• Like 5

For me, if I wanted to go back to an iPhone, it would be very easy since I already have over 600 iOS apps that I have collected and even still buy some new ones to this day. In fact, I probably will be going and getting an iPhone 5 by the 19th of October.

Now that's an answer I respect.

Think that is the very first time have heard someone explain the real reason why they choose ios.. Instead they usually try to spin it.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Now that's an answer I respect.

Think that is the very first time have heard someone explain the real reason why they choose ios.. Instead they usually try to spin it.

Hey, I do like the custom ROM's i find on XDA. Mik-Shifted for the Evo Shift was a great ROM series. I just have more investment in iOS. And no custom ROM's for this Viper was a real disappointment.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Fully understand that when you compare to the Viper. There is no contest comparing a flagship against an entry level phone.

There are lots of good reasons one would choose an iOS device over other flagship alternatives, and since I develop for iOS and Android, I'm aware of a number of them. However, this isn't the place to do it. If you want to open a thread in an appropriate forum, I'll be happy to share.