Network Vision/LTE - Indianapolis Market

omega

Yes, I have been there, problem is, there is no way any of the towers listed on that map can reach me. there is a missing tower on that map that is feeding me my sweet sweet LTE. The closest tower to me on that map is over 10 miles away

The tower i listed above 5009, is only about 3.5 miles away from me. I was pretty sure that was the one but now not so much

The one 70 could reach you. It's only 5 or 6 mi miles away. It could reach in the wide open area. There are basically 0 obstacles to interfere with the signal. Also given the location and lack of population on that area it would be in Sprints best interests to set it up to cover a large geographical area.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes' date=' I have been there, problem is, there is no way any of the towers listed on that map can reach me. there is a missing tower on that map that is feeding me my sweet sweet LTE. The closest tower to me on that map is over 10 miles away

The tower i listed above 5009, is only about 3.5 miles away from me. I was pretty sure that was the one but now not so much[/quote']

You might be getting LTE from a new live tower that hasn't shown up yet on the NV Sites Complete map. That is why I suggested looking at the master interactive map for your market, which shows all Sprint towers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

As a sponsor, you have access to the exclusive master maps at S4GRU that essentially show all Sprint towers, because they all will be upgraded sooner or later. Look at the interactive Indianapolis map to see what Sprint towers are nearby that might be live. You also have access to the NV Sites Complete maps that show which Network Vision sites have been accepted by Sprint's project management. (These might or might not be live with LTE, but likely are.)

None of the IDs from Netmonitor have anything to do with LTE. These are 1x CDMA IDs. Correlating these CDMA IDs to physical towers is possible, but it takes some trial-and-error field work. But that still won't show you where the LTE signal is coming from, because the LTE signal might originate at a different site than the CDMA signal does. Also, the signal strength shown in Netmonitor is the CDMA 1x signal, not the LTE signal strength. This thread shows how to find your LTE signal strength. Then you have to do the field work at a tower you suspect have the LTE, by getting close to it and logging -- or failing to log -- a strong LTE signal. If you really are ambitious, you can survey around the tower to log the strength of each sector radio.

Another resource is the Sensorly site, that shows hospots where others have found strong LTE signals. You can run the Sensorly app yourself to contribute to that crowdsourced data.

If I am not mistaken. Doesn't Sensorly tell your LTE strength as your Rssi?

Yes, I have been there, problem is, there is no way any of the towers listed on that map can reach me. there is a missing tower on that map that is feeding me my sweet sweet LTE. The closest tower to me on that map is over 10 miles away

The tower i listed above 5009, is only about 3.5 miles away from me. I was pretty sure that was the one but now not so much

Is that you mapping on Sensorly? If you just watch the shades of purple (signal strength) it looks as if you are getting it from the 70 tower.

I don't know. I always just use the GS3's system LTE Engineering screen to get the RSRP signal strength. I typically am using that screen to get LTE sector IDs anyway when I am surveying for LTE towers. I noticed that my Sensorly app just updated with a new feature that is supposed to enhance its LTE signal strength display. I'll check it out.

Is that you mapping on Sensorly? If you just watch the shades of purple (signal strength) it looks as if you are getting it from the 70 tower.

yes that is me mapping in that area. the little Square is around where I live. I will make an effort to start mapping around that 70 tower to get better coverage info in my area.

• Like 1

I did some mapping at Morse Lake Park in Noblesville out 206 to Anderson (W200 & IN32 and around downtown) and back today. I also looped around the Noblesville square a bit. I believe the tower by the lake is located just north of the school there off of Hague near 206th. does this sound correct? signal around -70dmb

• Like 1

I did some mapping at Morse Lake Park in Noblesville out 206 to Anderson (W200 & IN32 and around downtown) and back today. I also looped around the Noblesville square a bit. I believe the tower by the lake is located just north of the school there off of Hague near 206th. does this sound correct? signal around -70dmb

Become and sponsor and you could know... :D
  • Like 1

What's this? This is me pulling up in front of my house tonight. The speed definitely didn't match what Sensorly is showing related to signal strength. All I know is it isn't coming from "my" tower across the street. I guess I will be spending part of my Thanksgiving mapping my neighborhood.

y2uva3a5.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was trying to add to your neighborhood today.

I was trying to add to your neighborhood today.

With my shiny new GS3 I can get LTE in more areas in my neighborhood, but they are basically unusable. I can get usable download speeds but will fail on uploads. I have not mapped them yet because they are really just distant signals from other towers. That dark purple is just a glitch with Sensorly. It is not that strong if a signal.

With my shiny new GS3 I can get LTE in more areas in my neighborhood, but they are basically unusable. I have not mapped them yet because they are really just distant signals from other towers. That dark purple is just a glitch with Sensorly. It is not that strong if a signal.

So you went shopping on Black Friday huh? Did it have JB pre installed? If not have you installed?

I don't know. I always just use the GS3's system LTE Engineering screen to get the RSRP signal strength. I typically am using that screen to get LTE sector IDs anyway when I am surveying for LTE towers. I noticed that my Sensorly app just updated with a new feature that is supposed to enhance its LTE signal strength display. I'll check it out.

Now that I have had a chance to try the latest Sensorly version with a live LTE signal, I see that it does report the RSRP and RSRQ values for LTE (not RSSI). I still prefer to use the system LTE Engineering screen because -- in addition to this signal strength information -- it also shows LTE-specific IDs for surveying which tower the LTE signal is coming from. I can just keep Sensorly running in the background for its primary purpose, which is harvesting crowdsourced data for the Sensorly server.

Hats off to you guys on the north side of indy, you guys are mapping on Sensorly like mad! Mad Props to you all. Keep up the good work! Noblesville, Fishers, Westfield, and Carmel are almost complete.

• Like 1

At this point I can pretty much confirm the Sole tower in Wilkinson Indiana is Lit up with LTE. It is the only tower I connect to at home and I get LTE in just north of Shirley Indiana. I have been mapping like crazy on Sensorly in that area and will continue to do so. I will Map in and around the tower this evening

I retract my prior statements. it does look like I am getting my Sweet Sweet LTE from the I70 Tower. I mapped from that tower to my home and did not drop 4g the entire time. that I70 tower is a large Boomer so it could possibly in fact reach me about 13 miles away. it is all farmland out there so there is Very little interference between me and that tower. Now i just need to sit back and wait for the 3 other towers near me to light up with LTE for better speeds.

That i70 tower when about 100 yards away I was getting 30 meg down and 10 meg up. I got 9mb down and 5mb up at my home this morning.

Thank you all for setting me straight :)

I retract my prior statements. it does look like I am getting my Sweet Sweet LTE from the I70 Tower. I mapped from that tower to my home and did not drop 4g the entire time. that I70 tower is a large Boomer so it could possibly in fact reach me about 13 miles away. it is all farmland out there so there is Very little interference between me and that tower. Now i just need to sit back and wait for the 3 other towers near me to light up with LTE for better speeds.

That i70 tower when about 100 yards away I was getting 30 meg down and 10 meg up. I got 9mb down and 5mb up at my home this morning.

That is a while lot of distance to cover.

That tower on 70 if you use google maps says that tower is 3.5 miles to Wilkinson and 4.5 to Shirley.

I am about 4 miles north of shirley. if you look on sensorly look for 4 boxes and I am on the top side of those boxes. As the crow flies, google earth tells me it is 10.66 miles at a heading of 38.43 degrees from the tower to my house

• Like 1

I am about 4 miles north of shirley. if you look on sensorly look for 4 boxes and I am on the top side of those boxes. As the crow flies, google earth tells me it is 10.66 miles at a heading of 38.43 degrees from the tower to my house

We will never get that kind of range out of a PCS LTE site in Northern New Mexico. So there are a few advantages to living in Indiana, after all. :)

Robert

We will never get that kind of range out of a PCS LTE site in Northern New Mexico. So there are a few advantages to living in Indiana, after all. :)

Robert

Completely counter balanced by the stupid cold weather. Advantage gone.

I live in a high elevation area at the southern tip of the Rockies. Our winters are not better than Indiana by any stretch. But we are much closer to Phoenix when we need a Winter break.

Robert

I live in a high elevation area at the southern tip of the Rockies. Our winters are not better than Indiana by any stretch. But we are much closer to Phoenix when we need a Winter break.

Robert

I don't think 62 degrees was bad for a Dec. 1st day. 66 tomorrow.

I don't think 62 degrees was bad for a Dec. 1st day. 66 tomorrow.

We have had an unseasonably warm Fall. But I am not complaining. It has been great. :)

I'm not ready for the cold and snow. The older I get, the less I enjoy winter and cold. Thankfully I have kids old enough now to shovel and salt. When they all move out, I think I'll move south for the Winter. But I sure do enjoy our 75-85 degree summers and continual thunderstorms.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2