Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

Crane spotted where Trenton Rd and I-40 cross installing new panels this morning.

Sweet, maybe that will boost us @ pnc arena...i can't get any signal at all in that place...AT&T doesn't have a problem beaming 5 bars of LTE in there (as my friends are more than happy to show me)....GO CANES!

I get amazing LTE service on Verizon... 5 bars... also 5 bars of AT&T LTE at my house, but its considerably slower...

This is from my home office at/near downtown Wake Forest..

*yawn*

Robert

• Like 5

Heard rumor there was a live LTE tower at Six Forks near 540.

Driving up six forks, before Sawmill I got the first little glimpse of 4G then it went out. Closer to 540 it popped back up again. I snapped a few pics of what I (think) is the tower providing signal.

I've seen people post screenshots of 30+mbps down 10+mbps up on sprint towers. Was this while they were doing testing and before limiting the speed?

It was during rush hour so it may have been network congestion, but every test was basically right at 10mbps so I guess throttling (this may not be the proper terminology is more likely.

I didn't have Sensorly running unfortunately but I'll be back in the area and will drive around a little and do some logs.

Here's some screenshots and pics:

post-11313-0-81813200-1361497280_thumb.jpg

post-11313-0-40911800-1361497284_thumb.jpg

post-11313-0-56544200-1361497441_thumb.jpg

Screenshots...

For some reason I can't link to images. I'm outa my whole 500K of storage, but can't even use my remote hosting :(

Anywho maybe I can use one of those fingled link things...

http://www.helifreak...=1&d=1361497781

http://www.helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=396564&stc=1&d=1361498069

http://www.helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=396565&stc=1&d=1361498069

Edited by poor_red_neck

They don't throttle the speed i think. It just gets congested when more people connect to the tower so naturally the speeds decrease but since every tower is being upgraded, speeds shouldn't decrease too much, anything over 10mbps is more than enough for fast internet on a phone

try this thread

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2026-network-visionlte-raleighdurham-market-includes-fayetteville/

They aren't throttling. They don't have any reason to. The market is in a prelaunch phase. There are dozens of reasons why a prelaunch site can be under performing.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Heard rumor there was a live LTE tower at Six Forks near 540.

Driving up six forks, before Sawmill I got the first little glimpse of 4G then it went out. Closer to 540 it popped back up again. I snapped a few pics of what I (think) is the tower providing signal.

I've seen people post screenshots of 30+mbps down 10+mbps up on sprint towers. Was this while they were doing testing and before limiting the speed?

It was during rush hour so it may have been network congestion, but every test was basically right at 10mbps so I guess throttling (this may not be the proper terminology is more likely.

I didn't have Sensorly running unfortunately but I'll be back in the area and will drive around a little and do some logs.

Here's some screenshots and pics:

Change your server to Richmond and see what happens on the test.... Personally even though I'm closer to Wilson like you I typically always get a better result through Richmond.... Remember an old link that showed sprints main network running and having many connecting there and Atlanta were the closest places to NC...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

They aren't throttling. They don't have any reason to. The market is in a prelaunch phase. There are dozens of reasons why a prelaunch site can be under performing.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Oh I completely understand it's prelaunch... I'm NOT complaining about 10mbps... The phone was perfectly snappy. 10 is PLENTY considering even a high def netflix stream is only 5-6. My home internet is only 6mbps down 1mbps up. My phone (note 2) is essentially my computer so I don't know if there will be a need for home internet (note I'm not talking about tethering here... I just hook my phone upto my TV and use wireless keyb/mouse and use it as my home PC. Does everything I need it to do. When I need more I can splashtop to my work PC for full PC experience.)

back on topic...

22mbps is just AWESOME! How fast is the fiber connection at the average LTE tower? I'm actually surprised they don't "allocate" the speed between users. So if that tower happens to have very light traffic, and your connection was sufficient you would be able to use as much bandwidth as the phone could theoretically use? Seems a strange way to do it, makes more sense to "limit" (again, more like allocate) the bandwidth across the board. I don't know... reading ya'lls posts sometimes are like greek to me, but I'm a nerd at heart and love reading about it.

Can't wait for full deployment. Will make the past 2 years of horrendous 3g speeds worth it.

One thing I forgot to test was the 3g speeds.

DanielHolt,

Did you happen to test 3g speeds in that location too? Is it safe to assume when LTE goes live on a tower the NV upgrades are also done? Was there a big improvement?

If I can get 100kbps in west raleigh (Jones Franklin area, and pretty much the entire western half of inside the beltline it seems, as well as most of east Cary) I'm lucky. I get 200-300kbps every once and a while, but it is essentially unusable.

When I had my EVO3D with WiMax it was tolerable as I got great signal in most locations, including full strength at work which routinely got 8-10mbps down 1mbps up (Wake Forest Rd/440)

Edited by poor_red_neck

So, does anyone else get the stupid network "stuck" that I get all the time on my s3?

It shows 3g, decent signal, and just sits with the green upload arrow busy. It's not actually doing anything. Usually going into and out of airplane mode won't do anything either. Only a full restart will help. Sometimes, going into airplane mode helps though. One odd thing I've noticed when it's like this, the signal strength doesn't appear to change? But maybe I just get bored and reboot before it changes. (Although I was driving towards the tower, so it SHOULD have changed I think)

85db should be a good enough signal to "work"

Screenshot_2013-02-25-08-23-06.png

Yep -- I've been having the same issue lately. Upload arrow lights up but the download arrow never does. I've found that switching to CDMA only mode fixes the problem consistently. I saw that someone else in the Charlotte thread is having the same problem, so it seems to be a weird Sprint issue that they haven't fixed yet.

I was able to pick up LTE near Jones Franklin and Dillard Dr for the first time today :) Will try to run Sensorly tomorrow. Looks like someone else has picked up LTE there before according to Sensorly, but I haven't been able to connect there until today.

• Like 1

sensorly'd ? around the hood a little, glenwood ave, duraleigh, edwards mill rd. I can confirm that my wifes gs3 keeps the lte signal, quite a bit better than my evo lte. Her phone kept it all the way down edwards mill rd...evo dropped back to 3g, and then never picked up lte, until i cycled airplane mode. My wife called wondering where the hell i had taken her phone.

• Like 4