Network Vision/LTE - Baltimore Market (including Annapolis/East Shore)

lequonrobinson

what speeds were you getting on band 41

The signal was weak (and I think the site is a former Clear site), but I still got around 16 on the download.

• 3 weeks later...

So, there's been no activity in a while on here. I am in Columbia and I have the new LG G3 w/ Spark. How can I help with getting info out about area coverage. What's apps should I download?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

So, there's been no activity in a while on here. I am in Columbia and I have the new LG G3 w/ Spark. How can I help with getting info out about area coverage. What's apps should I download?

Signal Check and or LTE Discovery app, Sensorly, and Ookla Speed test would be my recommendations for apps. The first two are the products of S4GRU members and have dedicated threads here.

• 2 weeks later...

So its been years.. yes.. about 2 years since the NV equipment was placed on our tower.. then fiber trenched in..  now microwave dishes have appeared.  

I can only imagine this is a back haul issue.  The fiber is dark?  The legacy T1 speed is abysmal.  3g speeds of half a mb or less. Its been years of this. 

Anyone have any information?  

zip code 21629  

So its been years.. yes.. about 2 years since the NV equipment was placed on our tower.. then fiber trenched in..  now microwave dishes have appeared.  

I can only imagine this is a back haul issue.  The fiber is dark?  The legacy T1 speed is abysmal.  3g speeds of half a mb or less. Its been years of this. 

Anyone have any information?  

zip code 21629  

Your topic has been merged with the East Shore Market thread as it's more appropriate to ask that question here. Also, please don't make your posts into complaining rants as they add no benefit and are against posting guidelines. Not saying your post is, just mentioning the rules.

To answer your question. Your market is 3G Complete including 1x800 service. It appears back-haul is the issue. If you're seeing fiber being installed, it may have been for another carrier. Someone else in your market may be able to answer that for you.

If you're seeing microwave antennas being installed, they may be sending or receiving that back-haul from a nearby site. Best thing to do is keep an eye on work being done.

Your topic has been merged with the East Shore Market thread as it's more appropriate to ask that question here. Also, please don't make your posts into complaining rants as they add no benefit and are against posting guidelines. Not saying your post is, just mentioning the rules.

To answer your question. Your market is 3G Complete including 1x800 service. It appears back-haul is the issue. If you're seeing fiber being installed, it may have been for another carrier. Someone else in your market may be able to answer that for you.

If you're seeing microwave antennas being installed, they may be sending or receiving that back-haul from a nearby site. Best thing to do is keep an eye on work being done.

The Denton tower is in the middle of chain of towers setup with microwave backhaul. The microwave was installed a while back (I would have to go back through my notes to find out when). The microwave was installed a significant while after the rest of the NV upgrades where done, I suspect it is temporary. However until at least one site receives fiber it doesn't mean much. If the fiber was installed 2 years ago it probably was for another carrier as COZ suggested.

I have been watching fiber being installed to serve a site in Sandtown, DE (and possible Goldsboro, MD). At the rate they (the backhaul subs) are moving I think it'll take them 6 months to go about 7 miles (and that is just to Sandtown).

:dep: 

• Like 2

Hello, thanks for the replies. No not a rant... Just a topic I am passionate about. Sprint trenched in fiber to their equipment they insalled at the tower site years ago. I figures LTE was right around the corner but no. The fiber is still dark I assume. I also assume the same, that the microwave is temporary.. but it's also been installed for some time with no LTE service or rise in 3g speeds. So now I don't know what's going on.

Hello, thanks for the replies. No not a rant... Just a topic I am passionate about. Sprint trenched in fiber to their equipment they insalled at the tower site years ago. I figures LTE was right around the corner but no. The fiber is still dark I assume. I also assume the same, that the microwave is temporary.. but it's also been installed for some time with no LTE service or rise in 3g speeds. So now I don't know what's going on.

Did you speak to someone doing the install? Of course it is possible they started at the tower and still haven't finished connecting it on the other side...

White Marsh, MD is still awful. I have opened several tickets with Sprint support about it, they tell me one of the towers are offline right now (hopefully that means LTE!). 3G speeds on I-95 near White Marsh Blvd are just awful, can't even stream Spotify :-(

Message from Sprint support regarding White Marsh, MD tower on Red Lion Rd

@sprintcare: @JoshMSr The outage is still open. The Estimated time of repair is 08/12/14 by 11:30pm. LTE upgrades are in process.Ticket#2609474.

CXS

Update on White Marsh tower on Red Lion Rd

@sprintcare: @JoshMSr We apologize, but we're still working on the problem. The estimated time of repair is 08/15 by 11:30pm. Ticket#3435913. CXS

Just dont think sprint made that area high on the list. Think backhaul provider did not care when they will get work done and sprint it not fighting theses providers hard enough.

Would a Spark tri-band phone improve LTE coverage for Baltimore area very much?

I think so. I upgrade from an S3 to the G3 and I have noticed a significant improvement in LTE reception. Granted, the speeds aren't the best, but I believe that will come in time.

Just dont think sprint made that area high on the list. Think backhaul provider did not care when they will get work done and sprint it not fighting theses providers hard enough.

They seemed to give up on the Eastern shore no movement at all.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the one tower in White Marsh is broadcasting band 25/26 LTE now! And 3G speeds are SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

Along I-95 through White Marsh on legacy towers I was getting failed speedtests, or very very slow speedtests (calls were fine though). But now I'm seeing 15-20Mbps LTE, and if I disable LTE, I pulled 1.5Mbps 3G speeds! :tu: 

• Like 3

White Marsh area of I-95 definitely got some band 26 LTE love!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/937804711

In a moving vehicle (not driving!)...while streaming music on Spotify (not a constant data I dont think)...last week the 3G was unusable! This is a great example of what NV is accomplishing!

• Like 6