Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

I thought I remember a post where someone had a really good connection at Mall of Georgia. Hmmmm...

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Unfortunately, still no LTE for me up in the Buford area (near Mall of Georgia, 2 upgraded towers within 2 miles). I have done all the usual updates, toggling, and reboots. I'll watch for LTE as I head in to work this morning in Duluth.

Sent from my EVOlte using Tapatalk 2

Yeah that was me. I picked up 4G(LTE) on my EVOlte around Gravel Springs Rd and all the way east to I 85. According to Open Signal maps, there were 2 towers near Buford Dr side of the Mall of GA where I still had 4G. Incidently, that's the Sprint store I also referred to on Buford Dr. This area was always the best for me for Wimax as well on my old Evo.

Yeah that was me. I picked up 4G(LTE) on my EVOlte around Gravel Springs Rd and all the way east to I 85. According to Open Signal maps, there were 2 towers near Buford Dr side of the Mall of GA where I still had 4G. Incidently, that's the Sprint store I also referred to on Buford Dr. This area was always the best for me for Wimax as well on my old Evo.

You cannot trust the "tower" locations in Open Signal maps. They are just guestimates based on crowdsourced signal-strength triangulations, which can be wildly inaccurate. Even the Open Signal developers warn of inaccuracy.

I'm just north of gravel springs, near i85, nothing for me this morning. I'll head home via gravel springs tonight.

I'm out to lunch now at the whole foods on pleasant hills road. Strong signal on 3g, but no LTE. I'll try all the toggles and power cycles to see if things change...

Sent from my EVOlte using tapatalk

oh snap! Your boy just got LTE at work (1100 Johnson Ferry Road #670, Sandy Springs, GA/basically 285 and 400). 4 bars dropped to 1 during the speed test, but it goes me at 1.63 Mbps down and 1.45 Mbps up. Seeing as it probably just came on, it's probably warming up or something? When they said up by 1, maybe they weren't playing around.

It makes me wonder if the Roswell/Alpharetta area is a victim of whatever the open ticket is. My connection type had regressed (in terms of software, not speed) to EVDO from eHRPD yesterday. It's back to eHRPD now (and based on tower location, I thought I was gonna get some of the LTE goodness), but I'm not surprised if this was part of the initial bumpiness.

Still nothing in Norcoss, with three towers supposedly live, all within a mile of me. Since the towers in Lawrenceville were all so much further away, I'm just not understanding not getting LTE here. :unsure:

While driving around at lunch, I should have picked up both AT03XC221 & AT25XC050. Neither of those towers showed up in netmonitor.

Right now, I am less than 500m from 050, and I am locked to a 3g tower south west of here on pleasant hill rd and the river. I do have an ehrpd connection, though. That tower isn't on the Atlanta/Athens map...

You cannot trust the "tower" locations in Open Signal maps. They are just guestimates based on crowdsourced signal-strength triangulations, which can be wildly inaccurate. Even the Open Signal developers warn of inaccuracy.

Yes, boomerbubba, I heard this yesterday after making my original post. I was able to see towers in the general direction of where Open Signal said they were so I assumed it was correct. Dpullen I was at the steak & shake there in the shopping center @ gravel springs & buford drive. From there to the sprint store, is where my tests were run. Leaving the sprint store toward 85, I still had a 4G symbol, and once going north on 85 is when I lost it. If that helps you at all... : ) You may wanna swing by that Sprint Store to get your phone checked. (That was my plan when I got it! ) I'll swing thru there again this afternoon, and see if I can duplicate my results, and get some better screenshots for ya.

Also, my wife has a Gnex, so I'm curious to see how hers works.

Edited by Crimson01

No signs of LTE while driving home. Drive past the spring store and down gravel springs.

Got home, walked out to the mailbox, then very briefly saw an LTE signal. Does back to 3g before I could run a test on it...

I have found a way to go into LTE Only mode on the GS3. It requires your MSL code.

Go into your phone dialer. Type ##DATA#. Select Edit. Enter your MSL #. Select Others from the Data menu. Select HCR/1x Selection. Select LTE Only Mode.

You wont be able to make a phone call or text, but it will allow you to hold on to a LTE signal, even faint, without jumping back to 3G. I realize it's not ideal, but it gives you an opportunity to test for LTE signals (even faint ones) without getting bumped off.

To return back to normal, repeat the process and select LTE + CDMA + EVDO Mode.

Robert

• Like 1

I have found a way to go into LTE Only mode on the GS3. It requires your MSL code.

Go into your phone dialer. Type ##DATA#. Select Edit. Enter your MSL #. Select Others from the Data menu. Select HCR/1x Selection. Select LTE Only Mode.

You wont be able to make a phone call or text, but it will allow you to hold on to a LTE signal, even faint, without jumping back to 3G. I realize it's not ideal, but it gives you an opportunity to test for LTE signals (even faint ones) without getting bumped off.

Robert

Good find. If I had an LTE signal I would test. Maybe on the way to work tomorrow.

No signs of LTE while driving home. Drive past the spring store and down gravel springs.

Got home, walked out to the mailbox, then very briefly saw an LTE signal. Does back to 3g before I could run a test on it...

Dpullen...as promised, took the wife & her Gnex to the Mall this afternoon. Before I left I set hers to CDMA/LTE because it wasn't. We get to Gravel Springs & Buford drive redlight, and her Gnex locks in 4G. Nothin on the EVO. We get to the mall and still nothing on the EVO. While she shops, I muck around with the phones in the car. Turns out that on the EVO, even tho it said CDMA/LTE I had to toggle to CDMA only, then back to get it to lock. Once it did I got much improved speeds from yesterday, but the Gnex seemed faster in the 5 or so tests I ran. See screens below....I suspect us EVO users may have a problem with the LTE. (Forgive the photo, I don't know how to take a screen on a Gnex)

GnexLTEMallofGA.jpg

• Like 2

The EVO screen of some tests...notice how bad the 3G is. (Also, the EVO dropped LTE at the light @ gravel springs & mall of GA blvd, whereas the Gnex kept it a bit farther N on gravel springs.)

Test Date: Jul 17, 2012 4:17:18 pm

Connection Type: Lte

Server: Atlanta, GA

Download: 18.91 Mbps

Upload: 12.97 Mbps

Ping: 46 ms

Latitude: 34.06659

Longitude: -83.98239

EVOLTEMallofGA.jpg

Edited by Crimson01
  • Like 1

Robert

Pretty much the same on the EVO. When the phone first came out people thought putting it on HDR only in this menu made the data faster. One big problem....no more 1x for voice or texting.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

Robert

i was telling someone that in the chat on the 15th

(Forgive the photo' date=' I don't know how to take a screen on a Gnex)

[/quote']

Power and volume down should take a screen shot. Nice tests. Apparently HTC has some work to do...

Sent from my Nexus 7 (nakasi) using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Ok cool. I was having trouble yesterday getting a screen on my EVO as well, kept getting either volume down, or restart menu! Only had about 5 mins to do all this so I went camera instead. LOL

**Note** I just read somewhere else, you can take an screen on EVO Power + Home Key. That works better for me.

Edited by Crimson01
  • Like 1

I've read Robert's "quite whining" blog, as well as his email asking us all to grow up already, and I couldn't agree more.

Here's my frustration. Two weeks ago, sitting at my desk (like I am now) my Evo 4G LTE had a solid LTE connection averaging 16 meg four about three days. "Woohoo" I say... Sprint's gearing up for turning on the LTE. Then it gets shut down (aka: blocked) awaiting the official launch.

Okay, I'm a fairly patient man (five kids, you know) and can't wait to unleash the power of my shiny new Evo. Launch day comes, and no 4G. The next day, I get 4G but my average speed, as I write this now even, is in the 280kb/sec range.

My frustration is that I have seen what it CAN do, and what it WAS doing, and now feel disappointed that my expectations have not been met. If I had never had a taste of that 4G goodness, I wouldn't have missed it.

It's kind of like waiting for Christmas, rushing down the stairs in the moring to find a note saying "Xmas delayed until sometime in the future. Sorry."

• Like 3

I've read Robert's "quite whining" blog, as well as his email asking us all to grow up already, and I couldn't agree more.

Here's my frustration. Two weeks ago, sitting at my desk (like I am now) my Evo 4G LTE had a solid LTE connection averaging 16 meg four about three days. "Woohoo" I say... Sprint's gearing up for turning on the LTE. Then it gets shut down (aka: blocked) awaiting the official launch.

Okay, I'm a fairly patient man (five kids, you know) and can't wait to unleash the power of my shiny new Evo. Launch day comes, and no 4G. The next day, I get 4G but my average speed, as I write this now even, is in the 280kb/sec range.

My frustration is that I have seen what it CAN do, and what it WAS doing, and now feel disappointed that my expectations have not been met. If I had never had a taste of that 4G goodness, I wouldn't have missed it.

It's kind of like waiting for Christmas, rushing down the stairs in the moring to find a note saying "Xmas delayed until sometime in the future. Sorry."

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was sayin earlier. I think the misunderstanding is that Robert's blog probably doesn't apply to people like you. I think it's more suited for people who are basically at the point of rage quitting sprint. You won't get a lot of it on this site, but sites like Sprint (http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/4486) got it bad. I've voiced my opinion about whiner's whining about whiner's, but everyone's goin gto feel however they feel when given a situation.

But in checking in!

Yesterday, I got LTE on and off @ 285/Johnson Ferry Rd, but it never lasted more than 30s. It was mostly 3G with maybe 4G 2% of the time.

This morning I'm on 3G at the office, but on the way here (coming south on 85 from Lawrenceville) I got 4G pretty nicely around the Jimmy Carter and Pleasantville exits. It didn't last all the way to 285/85, but it was pretty strong for a little bit. Speeds ranged from 8Mbps - 10Mbps. The connections lasted less than a couple mins each though, I had to keep updating my PRL in order to reclaim them, etc.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with the posts above. Explain to us what is going on in your area. We want to know. Its related to the Sprint network.

You have demonstrated with these posts that you can explain what is going on and what you have experienced, without using hyperbole and going into a rant. This is what we are looking for.

I don't want to play master sensor. And we haven't had to do this. However, the board exploded this weekend. Our members don't want to sift through rants reading our boards. They have made it clear that the majority would rather have strict moderating than to have the negative Sprint posts that most other forums have devolved to. Most S4GRU members are refugees from other boards.

I thank you for helping us to keep our community on target.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

So I'm sitting at MD office on Riverside Parkway near L'ville-Suwanee Rd reading these posts thinking Why am I not seeing 4G when the maps show all Red and covered with LTE????? I'm set to LTE/CDMA already.

And only place I did get LTE is on Rockbridge Rd/Jimmy Carter Rd a few days ago and when I drive down I-85, I get it near Jimmy Carter exit... but not at home.

Then, I toggled to CDMA and then back to LTE/CDMA and lo and behold, I couldn't believe I actually got an LTE signal. Speedtest 6051 kbps down and 1522 kbps up.

Then, reality sunk in and I'm back on 3G.

What?? Why?? Why did you take it away after giving it to me for 1 min.

So I'm sitting at MD office on Riverside Parkway near L'ville-Suwanee Rd reading these posts thinking Why am I not seeing 4G when the maps show all Red and covered with LTE????? I'm set to LTE/CDMA already.

And only place I did get LTE is on Rockbridge Rd/Jimmy Carter Rd a few days ago and when I drive down I-85' date=' I get it near Jimmy Carter exit... but not at home.

Then, I toggled to CDMA and then back to LTE/CDMA and lo and behold, I couldn't believe I actually got an LTE signal. Speedtest 6051 kbps down and 1522 kbps up.

What?? Why?? Why did you take it away after giving it to me for 1 min.[/quote']

Signal thresholds appear to be too high. They need to be adjusted down so you can maintain a mid range or low strength LTE signal. We have not found a way to adjust them ourselves yet. They may need to be done by Sprint and the OEM's via an OTA.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

And only place I did get LTE is on Rockbridge Rd/Jimmy Carter Rd a few days ago and when I drive down I-85, I get it near Jimmy Carter exit... but not at home.

What?? Why?? Why did you take it away after giving it to me for 1 min.

Lol, that's pretty bad. I think there might be validity in the belief of some that we might need an OTA to assist with helping us keep a 4G connection. I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than being near a tower that works.

Like right now I'm at work, my phone screen is by the window and off. If I turn it on, I see 4G with 3 bars, but if I reach out to my phone or pick it up, those bars fade to 1, then 0, then 4G goes away and then it changes to 3G. I'm sure a lot of the more knowledgable guys around here know the process, but it seems like if your 3G is > your 4G, it switches to 3G automatically. The funny thing is, 0-1 bar of 4G was faster than 5 bars of 3G for me.

Edit: Ignore the last part; I see he answered just as I was hitting send.

Lol, that's pretty bad. I think there might be validity in the belief of some that we might need an OTA to assist with helping us keep a 4G connection. I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than being near a tower that works.

Like right now I'm at work, my phone screen is by the window and off. If I turn it on, I see 4G with 3 bars, but if I reach out to my phone or pick it up, those bars fade to 1, then 0, then 4G goes away and then it changes to 3G. I'm sure a lot of the more knowledgable guys around here know the process, but it seems like if your 3G is > your 4G, it switches to 3G automatically. The funny thing is, 0-1 bar of 4G was faster than 5 bars of 3G for me.

Edit: Ignore the last part; I see he answered just as I was hitting send.

Your right...a lot of people are experiencing the same thing...I know I am. I'm not sure if an ota will be needed or not but without a doubt there are issues on Sprint's end that they are working on fixing. Confirmed at least 2 open tickets...they get opened by zip code. 30324 & 30078...I'm sure there are others.